SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Headlight won't budge

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 02:25 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Headlight won't budge

Hey, Today I got around to trying to take my front bumper off but I cannot get the headlight out. I've removed the nut on top and the 2 behind the fender liner but it just won't move. I've wiggled it around but i'm afraid that I might break something. Anyone here know the exact motion to put into the headlight to force it out? like, Pull, Move left, pull or move left, pull and move up?
Old 12-10-14, 02:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Mine was in there pretty tight. The bolts tend to be pinched into their holes, so it takes some twisting and tugging. Although, mine was pretty obvious how to get it free -- putting it back in took more wiggling -- so yours might have something else holding it up. Maybe one of the bolts is rusted into place or something? Or, if it's like the previous owner of my car, someone might have glued it into place...
Old 12-10-14, 04:56 PM
VisiSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, theres a bolt that holds the headlight and the highbeam together. You might have to take them out together
Old 12-10-14, 06:17 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just the three bolts.
If they havent been removed recently they can get kind of stuck in there. I wouldn't worry about breaking them though as the bolts are all pretty strong, It's a direct horizontal push from the rear, just keep pushing and it will eventually slide out. I remember mine were pretty hard to get out the first time but just keep going at it, there's nothing really to break so long as you don't put a bunch of pressure on the front of the headlight with a hard object, but that's kind of obvious. Once it slides out though make sure you've got a towel on the front bumper so it doesnt scratch your paint if it settles on the bumper.
Old 12-10-14, 06:52 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VisiSC
If I remember right, theres a bolt that holds the headlight and the highbeam together. You might have to take them out together
Nah, the manual only shows the 3 nuts holding the headlight in. The high beam doesn't need to be removed to take out the headlight. Right now it's only moving out about 1/4th of the way there and getting stuck on something.
Old 12-10-14, 06:56 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eknine9
It's just the three bolts.
If they havent been removed recently they can get kind of stuck in there. I wouldn't worry about breaking them though as the bolts are all pretty strong, It's a direct horizontal push from the rear, just keep pushing and it will eventually slide out. I remember mine were pretty hard to get out the first time but just keep going at it, there's nothing really to break so long as you don't put a bunch of pressure on the front of the headlight with a hard object, but that's kind of obvious. Once it slides out though make sure you've got a towel on the front bumper so it doesnt scratch your paint if it settles on the bumper.
Great, thanks, will try this tomorrow. Also, does anyone here know anyone who sells 97+ bumpers for cheap? Tony at luxurymods sells them but they're OEM priced