SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is there ANYTHING other than bad regulators that will stop windows from working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 09:56 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is there ANYTHING other than bad regulators that will stop windows from working?

Is there ANYTHING AT ALL other than regulators (or switches) that would make both windows not work on an SC?
Is a car with both windows not working safe to buy? Can i safely say it is the regulators or the switches without any doubt at all? Is there any WORSE problem that could cause this?
(yes, I'm looking at yet another Sc)
Thanks
Old 08-09-14, 10:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Don't sweat it, you've got plenty of SCs to grab spare doors off of.

Umm, bad wiring through the door jamb grommets? The topic came up pretty recently, but I can't remember if it was determined whether there's a common ground or something. Might also look to see if there's a fuse that affects the windows but nothing else. It's amazing how many separate fuses these cars have.
Old 08-09-14, 10:56 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by t2d2
Don't sweat it, you've got plenty of SCs to grab spare doors off of.

Umm, bad wiring through the door jamb grommets? The topic came up pretty recently, but I can't remember if it was determined whether there's a common ground or something. Might also look to see if there's a fuse that affects the windows but nothing else. It's amazing how many separate fuses these cars have.
Ahhhhh, i just remembered the power mirrors don't work either. Maybe it's just a fuse.
Old 08-09-14, 11:36 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny my fuse for power mirrors was missing, put a 10A in there and thought it would do the trick....nope still not working. Must be mirror ecu...I'd imagine anyway. Hope yours is just a fuse man that would be a quick fix.
Old 08-09-14, 12:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biddles
Funny my fuse for power mirrors was missing, put a 10A in there and thought it would do the trick....nope still not working. Must be mirror ecu...I'd imagine anyway. Hope yours is just a fuse man that would be a quick fix.
Yep, Thanks Biddles!
Old 08-10-14, 10:56 AM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopping at halfway when going closed is normal operation I think. Some sort of safety feature I guess.
I haven't used mine enough on the SC yet to know how it should work when opening though.
Old 08-10-14, 12:56 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhoderman
Stopping at halfway when going closed is normal operation I think. Some sort of safety feature I guess.
I haven't used mine enough on the SC yet to know how it should work when opening though.
Yep, saw ClassicSC3's new post notification and was going to post exactly that. I can't for the life of me figure out what that safety feature intent is, though, and why it doesn't apply to windows and doors and all sorts of other more dangerous things. (Is there any way to disable it and allow the moonroof to close in a single motion?)

As far as I know, it should open the entire way without stopping. Mine does, and I can't imagine it being designed to do otherwise. I'm wondering if there's a glitch in the mechanism that causes it to stop at the midway point when closing, that's also affecting it when opening?
Old 08-10-14, 01:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Mine has always stopped half way. I read that it is intended to operate this way.
Old 08-10-14, 05:06 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The master switch and wiring. My passenger one would not go down and the previous owner did not know why so we did some trial and error. They had the green wire (I think?) grounded to the the door which allowed it to go up and not down and when we ungrounded it, the window went down but would start smoking if we tried to put it up ungrounded..... So we looked through the wires in the door pass through on the passenger side and nothing was wrong. When checking the drivers side, some of the wires were split and disconnected. So we spliced them back together and connected the passenger side switch wires back to normal and it worked fine. We even picked up a regulator from the junk yard in case that was the issue but now we just have a spare. Keeping it just in case. I don't know if that helps you but it fixed my issue.