SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the market for SC's right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 09:57 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just looked at it on ebay, its really not bad, it seems the only way these sell for top dollar is when they are low mileage or tasteful mods "r154" "v160" GTE.

what turbo is that?
Old 06-08-14, 11:43 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Ive sold two low Mileage SC's in the past year, one of them had only 70 or 80 000 miles, and it still took 3 or 4 months to sell and only sold for $3500, I actually purchased it for $500 a few months earlier.

The problem now is once u get up into the $7000 price range there is just far too much competition and you simply wont find a buyer, your mileage is way too high , and for most car enthusiasts they want a car that is or near to STOCK.

Your in deep now , all your time, money and labour into a manual swap and attempting to turbo it is gone, your BEST bet now is to part out what you can , and sell the SC itself for peanuts.

Or keep it and put more money into it
Old 06-08-14, 01:19 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it won't go that high even with everything included. I've had my SC on the market for almost six months. With the exception of random questions I've had zero bites. I have my asking price too high hoping to negotiate a deal but nope. I even have it posted as a trade and to let me know type deal.

Problem is around here all the SCs were driven till they died. I can't count how many times I have seen one on the side if the road (not so much lately tho), and people remember that. Also there was a guy in the tuner scene who had one wrapped that had problems at nearly every meet/event. That makes the tuners think twice about getting one.

I'd return it to stock, sell it for $1k them sell the parts. You will never get your money back but a hobby is a hobby.
Old 06-08-14, 01:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Unless it's a basket case example with a riced interior he doesn't have that much done to the car. 5-speed, original or swapped (if done right) is still a selling point over most stock automatics *if* it's in good maintenance. So factor in the higher mileage and sell it at a reasonable price for your area which certainly won't be top dollar but shouldn't be "$1,000 take it away.... please?"

Parting out requires your time and patience to slowly sell off all those parts over time. OP, if you have either of those in abundance, by all means part out the car.

It's not just the SC used market that is low. Look at many other 20+ year old sports cars, RWD V8 coupes and RWD/AWD turbo cars and you'll see the same reality. I've researched plenty like cars of similar age and generally they are all low in used resale with few exceptions. They're all old, all have cosmetic issues and the relative rarity of some models compared to the high production of automatic SC300/400's only raises their value so much in comparison.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-08-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-09-14, 02:06 PM
adc27
Rookie

Part it out, I could use a lot of your parts and I'm local. You should take a look at all the SC's for sale on the Minnesota Craigslist. Yours currently has the most miles and is the most expensive. There's not many people that are going to turbo a car with almost 300k on the engine.
Old 06-11-14, 06:53 PM
slooowSC3
Driver School Candidate

Just as KahnBB6 said, parting it out requires time and patience, which are things I don't have too much of these days. I know I'll take a hit on what I really want in asking price, but I guess I'll just let the eBay ad play itself out. Looks like it's doing well, for now.
Old 06-11-14, 08:08 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys make feel bad! Guess I'll just finish restoring mine, then park it in the barn,for some kid to find 40yrs later. then it might be worth something! LOL. By then all the others will have been DRIFTED into oblivion.
Old 06-12-14, 06:48 PM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the areas you guys live in but sc's still sell for a good chunk of change here, when I was looking for one I had to settle paying 1200 for one with blown headgasket, and high miles. Imo start your price on Craigslist at 7 and start from there, bottom line get people to the car, if they low ball you tell them you'll think about it once they see the car. Sorry to sound like a used car salesman but people who call rather than text are usually serious, and at that point get them in front of the wheel. Just don't come off as desperate. I actually see your car selling for that tbh.
Old 06-12-14, 07:41 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of 300zx cars that are not selling as well.
Old 06-12-14, 07:43 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i see more supras on ebay then sc300 lol
Old 06-12-14, 09:24 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Older 90's cars are flooded on the market and aren't holding their value anymore. Maybe the Supras, ITR's, and really good condition RX7's. A lot of people have moved forward in life and bought newer vehicles like STi's, Evos, Beemers, and Mercs. I'm 34 and none of my friends own a 20 year old Toyota/Lexus. They've all moved on and bought Teslas, AMG's, and M series vehicles. They think I'm nuts for holding on to this bucket.
Old 06-13-14, 05:17 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Older 90's cars are flooded on the market and aren't holding their value anymore. Maybe the Supras, ITR's, and really good condition RX7's. A lot of people have moved forward in life and bought newer vehicles like STi's, Evos, Beemers, and Mercs. I'm 34 and none of my friends own a 20 year old Toyota/Lexus. They've all moved on and bought Teslas, AMG's, and M series vehicles. They think I'm nuts for holding on to this bucket.
The younger market loves 'em. All my friends with 240's are way jealous my drift car is so nice and more comfortable.
Old 06-13-14, 06:32 AM
glex4
Rookie

Too high mileage bro. To give you an example, my SC400 is stock, in mint condition in and out, only 65,000 miles and up for $7900. Originally, I had posted it for $10,500, but people on here told me that price was silly because people wouldn't pay that much for a 20 year old car despite its condition. - lol.

So far no takers from this site (classifieds section), but now that I put a "for sale" sign on the car, people are starting to make offers in my local area of NY. $7900 is pretty firm for me.

So, yep, overpriced for that much mileage.
Old 06-13-14, 08:36 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
The younger market loves 'em. All my friends with 240's are way jealous my drift car is so nice and more comfortable.
Exactly.

Young people = broke

Young people buy 20 year old vehicles because the market allows it. The 240 is a great example of entry level import cars. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap to repair. I find that several 240 owners wouldn't touch a SC because of the general cost of maintenance, weight, and lack of manual transmissions.
Old 06-13-14, 09:34 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see what a lot of you are saying, I guess my area is different because we have a lot of military and what can I say I sold a lowered 4 door Integra with manual with 133k for 5k last year. I just say aim high sell it as a whole before parting out

Quick Reply: What's the market for SC's right now?