SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the market for SC's right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 03:33 PM
slooowSC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the market for SC's right now?

I've been out of the game too long that I haven't been keeping up with the market demand for these cars. I joined CL under another username years ago when I had an ES, but since then, I rejoined two years ago under the current username when I picked up a 97 blk/blk SC300. Since then until now, I haven't posted until today cause school began kicking my *** and barely had any free time, lol.

Back to the question at hand, the reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to sell my SC now, but I don't know what the demand is for these cars now and what I should sell it at.

Here's a quick rundown of my car (I read the rules and requirements needed for selling and that's not what I'm trying to do, just getting info)-

97 SC300/black paint with black interior/no rust
Bought when it had 275000 miles, now has 291000
5spd (converted) with 6 puck clutch
Rota Grid rims/Megan coilovers/LS400 BBK
Blitz Nur axle back exhaust/Full sound system with Pioneer touch screen
I'm also throwing in an almost complete turbo kit. Only big thing that it's missing is fuel management and small misc items

If I posted this car up for $7000 do you guys believe that's a fair price? I would post a pic, but I'm trying to avoid making this a FS thread and having the mods close it.
Old 06-07-14, 04:07 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would going to say $7k myself before I read you're whole post. $7k for all the mods included I think is fair, even though the car has really high mileage. I would include a list of all the maintenance that has (hopefully) been kept up to date, as most people will be looking for that before any mods.

Having said that be ready to expect a lot of low-ballers due to the mileage. I think you're realistically looking at settling for a bit less than 6k if you really want it out of your driveway.

Also, pics always help us out when trying to price out cars. We are a visual bunch lol
Old 06-07-14, 04:15 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.
Old 06-07-14, 04:23 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.
Exactly. The thing people always forgot is, a modded car is worth less than an umodded one. Unless you get lucky and find the buyer who wants and values all those mods, you're better off returning it to stock and selling the extras separately.

Honestly, you're looking at $3,000 for that high of mileage (on a good day), plus whatever you can get for the extras. You might be able to get as much selling the turbo kit as you could for the entire car.
Old 06-07-14, 04:30 PM
slooowSC3
Driver School Candidate

Here's a quick pic
Old 06-07-14, 04:39 PM
slooowSC3
Driver School Candidate

The market for these cars, especially up here in Minnesota, is pretty weak. I was hoping they would get better when i decided to sell it. I know I'll have a hard time trying to sell it locally through Craigslist. Plus, I hate dealing with people on there.
Old 06-07-14, 04:42 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
Exactly. The thing people always forgot is, a modded car is worth less than an umodded one. Unless you get lucky and find the buyer who wants and values all those mods, you're better off returning it to stock and selling the extras separately.

Honestly, you're looking at $3,000 for that high of mileage (on a good day), plus whatever you can get for the extras. You might be able to get as much selling the turbo kit as you could for the entire car.
Maybe on an Accord, but in the performance RWD/drift market,
mods are money. People love mods; at least around here, it really feels like the same market as 240's.
Old 06-07-14, 05:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I have to agree with ArkLaTexSC. Yes, the higher mileage factors into your ultimate asking price (or deal price) but these cars are a bit different than your average riced out Honda if they've been converted to manual. You've only done: suspension, 5-speed conversion (a puck clutch is the only ding there), LS400 brakes, a set of rims and a kind of loud exhaust. That's not a whole lot and your car doesn't look riced out. As mentioned above, there is a difference between one of these respectable RWD drift-capable cars versus a modded/riced FWD Accord H23 with all of 160hp.

Higher mileage will hurt your value a bit but it also depends on your service records and what you've been repairing along the way-- does everything electronic work? Interior and exterior in mostly good condition? All mechanical service up to date? Cold A/C?

I look at features that you have that I value as big selling points that I'd have to add anyway (W58 5-speed conversion, LS400 brakes, suspension) and weigh that against the condition of the car given its mileage and its service history. A totally stock automatic SC300 or 400 would only be of more value to me if it were very low mileage (below or just 100k) and in excellent cosmetic condition. Your 1997 model year is also a plus.

$3,000 is far too low for your car. So long as the cosmetic condition is strong inside and out and you have been on top of all maintenance and fixes, $5,500-$7000 is a good range since I can't see it up close and judge for myself.
Old 06-07-14, 07:03 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

also depends where you sell it too. People on this site would be more willing to pay a higher price than if you list it on autotrader or craigslist
Old 06-07-14, 07:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You guys are kidding yourselves. Sorry, but it's true. Look out there at what's selling and for how much. What it's worth and what you can sell it for are two very different things. You have to find that one in a thousand buyer who values the exact mods to get anywhere near $5,000, let alone $7,000. And the mileage is going to scare away most people who are interested in the specs.

Look at it this way. Ignore the mods and focus on just the car itself. Could you get $1,000 for it? I don't think so. It's worth way more in parts than it is as a very high mileage car, no matter how good it looks.
Old 06-07-14, 07:26 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

You guys are kidding yourselves. Sorry, but it's true. Look out there at what's selling and for how much. What it's worth and what you can sell it for are two very different things. You have to find that one in a thousand buyer who values the exact mods to get anywhere near $5,000, let alone $7,000. And the mileage is going to scare away most people who are interested in the specs.

Look at it this way. Ignore the mods and focus on just the car itself. Could you get $1,000 for it? I don't think so. It's worth way more in parts than it is as a very high mileage car, no matter how good it looks.
I don't know what the market is like around your area, to be fair. But around here in Shreveport, LA, these cars are rare and valued. This is an area for modified cars. Mileage isn't an area of concern for people around here because the issues that come with that in the north (with snow and salt etc) aren't in play. Due to distances, high mileage for cars over 10 years old is simply expected. People here are looking for modified cars.
Old 06-07-14, 09:07 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to agree with this.

In Texas SCs are completely worthless now. They are a labor of love for people who still have them because you will NEVER recover the money you put into them. There has been a 2000 bone stock SC300 for sale in my area for $4300 for nearly a year. It's got 200K miles on it but side aside from wear on the seats it looks well cared for. I thought about buying but figured it needed $2K+ in parts/tires to bring it up to a drive anywhere car so this is where the problem with SCs comes in. No one will invest about 50% of the purchase price in maintenance/repairs unless it is a labor of love thing.

New OEM parts for the cars are still at pricing levels for $45K-55K cars; problem is these are sub $5K cars in most cases. Even ultra low miles mint cars are hard to crack $10K these days. Mods are a mixed bag. Done right they add value. People will pay good money for a 2JZGTE car that does not look ghetto. But many people prefer a stock car they can modify as a blank canvas to work with instead of de-mod something or fix something not done right.

Last edited by texan_176; 06-07-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-07-14, 10:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that is a bit high but it is done nicely and not riced out. Plus your throwing in the turbo kit.

That mileage is way high tho, if you dont got maintenance records for it that can hurt your price.

I think its best to put it back stock list it at a more reasonable price and sell the aftermarket things separate for a little more.

You might be sitting on 7grand for awhile but who knows? List it at that and see if there is interest.

Last edited by Joey-E; 06-07-14 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 04:57 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very hard to find someone to pay that kind of money for a car with that high mileage regardless of the good mods you've done. Too much risk in buying a car that's been around as much as that, even with maintenance records. You can find a good clean SC for $2500, and then mod it to your liking. I bought my 96 from second owner with 117K for $2600. Full dealership maintenance records.
Old 06-08-14, 08:47 AM
slooowSC3
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I knew that the mileage would hinder my asking price, but I was hoping by throwing in the turbo kit I could spark some more interests to bring it back up a bit. I posted it on eBay so I'll see how that goes. Still debating if I want to post it locally, but it couldn't hurt since I'm looking to sell soon. I've also noticed the market up here in MN for buying a used Lexus with the intentions to modify are GS > SC. Hopefully I don't have to sit on this sale for a while because the window for selling a summer-only car in MN is really small.

Quick Reply: What's the market for SC's right now?