SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CD Player delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 06:04 AM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Player delete

I am going to replace my head unit. How can i remove-delete the cd player so everything still works with the new unit?
Old 12-27-13, 06:26 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Your CD player still works? lol. For cleaner sound quality install all new power, ground and speaker wires when replacing your head unit. You an just unplug your CD player and gut it and bolt in back in place to fill the big old gap then use it for storage. What head unit you plan on installing?
Old 12-27-13, 06:33 AM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

Well, no it doesn't !! LOL
I have a sony head unit Sony CXS-GT5616F, i would like to use the stock amp. IDK if i can do that or just bypass that? I have unpaged the stock cd unit and the radio doesn't work, what a pain!! LOL
Old 12-27-13, 06:43 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

The head unit will work better than the stock amp. There is a write up on this site how to wire the stock amp to work but to me it is too complicated, easier to use the output from the new head unit and use a small amp to power the sub.
Old 12-27-13, 06:47 AM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

So you just bypass all of the stuck stuff and just use power and speakers from stock unit?
Old 12-27-13, 08:23 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Your CD player still works? lol.?
mine does and plays like a champ
Old 12-27-13, 11:40 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Blexus
So you just bypass all of the stuck stuff and just use power and speakers from stock unit?
If you're not replacing your speakers, you'll be safer to wire into the stock amps. OEM speakers usually have some strange impedance that an aftermarket headunit might not handle properly. Chances are it will work fine but your best bet really is to go ahead and swap out the speakers too. Even a $50 set of components will sound many times better than the OEM crap. Then you can just direct wire them from the head unit and skip all the stock stuff. Another consideration is the factory woofer. If you're not looking to put a full system in anytime soon, wiring into the stock setup is probably the best course of action. There's a couple threads on here about working with the factory woofer. It's been a few years since I messed with the sound system in my SC and i did a full rip and replace so take this all with a grain of salt. Memory might be a bit fuzzy.

As for the CD changer, just pull the trunk trim back and remove a few bolts. that whole big assembly will come right out. You can gut it as recommended for storage or relocate your battery there or glass in a real subwoofer, any number of things.
Old 12-30-13, 07:27 AM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

Oh ya… This is a friggin nightmare. I could not get the stock stuff to work.
I have a full wire diagram for the car and radio. i can't make this new unit work with any of the stock stuff.
I am going to try to run back to the amp, delete the amp and cd player and just use the stock wires to the speakers.
Yes, Yes i am a gluten for punishment!! LOL
SO. i see there is a Woofer amp, my new unit has RCA woofer out, gonna also try to work that in!!

Thank you all for the info… I will let ya know how it goes!

Last edited by 94Blexus; 12-30-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 10:28 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I put in a JVC head unit and spliced the wires to use the stock amp. The main speakers ended up working fine, but the sub woofer didn't. Perhaps I missed something. I put an Alpine sub amp in where the CD storage was and ran the RCA sub out from the JVC to it, it sounds great now.

Oh, and the power antenna didn't work with the new wiring, but the radio still pulls in signal so I didn't care.
Old 01-06-14, 12:23 PM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Photon440
I put in a JVC head unit and spliced the wires to use the stock amp. The main speakers ended up working fine, but the sub woofer didn't. Perhaps I missed something. I put an Alpine sub amp in where the CD storage was and ran the RCA sub out from the JVC to it, it sounds great now.

Oh, and the power antenna didn't work with the new wiring, but the radio still pulls in signal so I didn't care.
What did you do with the 60 odd wires from the OEM? I couldn't get it to work straight hook up..
Did you pull the CD player?
I see the Sub has its own amp in the trunk. I just need to find it and run the wires back.

I know i should just run new wires and amps, but i like a challenge. LOL