SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My 1j Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 10:40 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Sc3001jz
well i somehow lost the old copper washers but i took the fuel bolt to advanced and found some washers that might work but i'm gonna get the starter fixed first so that way i don't have an uncontrollable car
probably a good idea. If you have any questions or need help regarding the fix, LMK
Old 11-05-12, 10:48 AM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StiCk3
1) if you bring your old copper washers or the actual banjo bolt any auto parts store can match them up for you.

2) sounds just like the starter problem i was having after installing my 1JZ. Check out the thread in my sig to see if that solves your problem.
PMed you with a question
Old 11-05-12, 12:21 PM
driver88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
That looks like a Supra 1JZ swap with an upgraded down pipe. On a side note this is an earlier 1JZ
jw how can you tell its an early 1j off a supra? Whats the difference between older and newer 1j's?
Old 11-06-12, 06:52 AM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

ok so i did your trick and it work. it now will only start with the jey. but im still leaking a ton of fuel everywhere. ive put 2 copper washers on both sides of the fuel banjo bolt but it still sprays out of it. ive done a little research and some ppl are having issues with the fuel dampener. ive found a bypass kit from drifmotion but it says it for a cressida. would it work on a sc300 or no? and my old 2jzge was and auto tranny and i put a 1jz with a 5 spd, so do i need to worry about the neutral safety switch? i believe that i dont bc the car never had one but i figured that that manual ECU is still looking for the signal.
Old 11-06-12, 08:13 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On my swap, I removed the factory SC400 rubber line from the metal feed line. I took the rubber line and spliced into it, removed the metal fitting and put in a new rubber fuel line. The metal bracket also has several slits in it, to assure once it goes in, it doesnt come out as easy, thus the reason for me having to splice the old rubber line to remove it. I couldnt pull it out by hand. I used new copper fittings on both side of the original bracket and it never leaked. I dont know if the 300 models have the same fitting, but mine has never leaked. Now I am wondering if they are different and if they can be used on either regardless? Maybe this is an idea to help correct your problem.
Old 11-06-12, 09:40 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by driver88
jw how can you tell its an early 1j off a supra? Whats the difference between older and newer 1j's?
thats not a supra 1jz. from the pic. in the pic you can see it doesnt have a hydro pump that turns the cooling fan. this one has a normal water pump.

the turbo boost outlet isn't a near 90 degree. so its also not a chaser swap either.

the oil pan sump is in the right place as well.

he got a soarer swap fo sho.
Old 11-07-12, 03:00 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

ok so i did your trick and it work. it now will only start with the jey. but im still leaking a ton of fuel everywhere. ive put 2 copper washers on both sides of the fuel banjo bolt but it still sprays out of it. ive done a little research and some ppl are having issues with the fuel dampener. ive found a bypass kit from drifmotion but it says it for a cressida. would it work on a sc300 or no? and my old 2jzge was and auto tranny and i put a 1jz with a 5 spd, so do i need to worry about the neutral safety switch? i believe that i dont bc the car never had one but i figured that that manual ECU is still looking for the signal.
are you sure it's leaking at the fuel dampener? I would look at all the lines going to and from your engine. Assuming fuel wasn't leaking with your old engine, that leaves the new lines on the engine in question. Trace down where it's leaking from and work from there.

As for the NSS, that's up to personal preference. You can run it with it or without it. I run it with the NSS intact just to be on the safe side. As long as the ECU gets voltage to pin STA on the 1JZ ECU then it should not have a problem. does your ECU say A/T or M/T on it?
Old 11-07-12, 05:23 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

Its a M/T tranny ecu so its the right one.
Old 11-07-12, 10:08 PM
Integra2SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding sir, someday i will know how this feels.
Old 11-08-12, 03:40 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE!!!!!!
ok so the fuel was leaking from the return line that was not hooked up. so i cut the old return line and ran a new hose to it and it worked. the car starts up and idles great. BUT i now have new issues
********1) the temp gauge works but its pointing straight up, we checked the coolant lines and the top line and back lines where hot but the bottom return coolant line was still cold, as if coolant wasnt cycling through. in the AM im gonna go and get a new thermostat and waterpump just to be safe
********2) the alternator is not charging the battery. now we have the alt hooked up to the alt plug that came with the engine not the clip that was from the old engine, the one that stayed in the car after the old 2j was pulled out. i know that you can swap the back plates out but i dont have the old one so any help on this issue would be great.

i will be getting some pics and a vid up within the next day or so
Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-08-12, 04:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE!!!!!!
ok so the fuel was leaking from the return line that was not hooked up. so i cut the old return line and ran a new hose to it and it worked. the car starts up and idles great. BUT i now have new issues
********1) the temp gauge works but its pointing straight up, we checked the coolant lines and the top line and back lines where hot but the bottom return coolant line was still cold, as if coolant wasnt cycling through. in the AM im gonna go and get a new thermostat and waterpump just to be safe
********2) the alternator is not charging the battery. now we have the alt hooked up to the alt plug that came with the engine not the clip that was from the old engine, the one that stayed in the car after the old 2j was pulled out. i know that you can swap the back plates out but i dont have the old one so any help on this issue would be great.

i will be getting some pics and a vid up within the next day or so
Thanks for all the help.
Cograts on figuring the other issues out. Problem 1 is that the temp gas is either reading correctly and the coolant is not circulating as it should, or the wire in the harness that controls the temp needs to be grounded. I had the same problem with my swap but I have a 400. Search "Jerrys temp fix" should come up or find the link in my build. Problem 2, I used the stock wiring that I left in the car to connect to the alternator, just tied the stock 1JZ wiring for this out of the way, never used it. Again this is for my 400. Just some ideas to check and see. GL and let us know you find. By doing the thermostat and water pump are always good measures and preventive maintenance on any motor.
Old 11-10-12, 08:48 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

Default Pics update!!!!

Heres some of the pics like i promised
Attached Thumbnails My 1j Swap-engine-bay.jpg   My 1j Swap-1jz-air-intake.jpg   My 1j Swap-driveshaft.jpg   My 1j Swap-interior.jpg  
Old 11-25-12, 06:43 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

OK so Ive been driving the car for about 2 weeks now and there's a few things i cant figure out.
1). It is a complete pain in the *** to start in the mornings or if its been sitting for awhile. It will turn over but wont start, i have to turn the key on let it sit for a sec then hit it, repeat till it starts.
2) It idles funny. sometimes it will idle high around 1k or so but most of the time it will idle so low it doesn't even registrar on the tach. and if i have been driving it for a min and have to stop at a light i have to feather the gas or else it will die.
Old 11-25-12, 06:46 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah and if i give it to much throttle and will start to spit like its hitting a limiter. i dont think its for boost bc i could be in 3rd gear at 1500rpm and it will do it but if i back off and ease into it it will be ok for a sec. Basically i cant give it full throttle or take it to redline bc it wont
Old 12-12-12, 09:52 AM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE!!!!!!
i checked the plugs and they where not gaped right. 4 of them where at .40 and 2 where at .50 so i re-gaped them and it ran great for the rest of the day. after it sat overnight it started to run like the spark was blowing out again. i checked the coil packs and there are no cracks but i wrapped them anyways just to be safe. the only thing that i can think of is that its the Igniter Box.

Quick Reply: My 1j Swap