SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HID Install DIY (Fog Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 10:14 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation HID Install DIY (Fog Lights)

I'll show you peeps how it's properly done. I used to sell HID kits back in Philippines and did alot of install back then so I know a few tricks. It's pretty much a no brainer if you know some some about electrical stuff, so I know why people have a hard time. Anyways, nuff said, on with the pics;

I see that alot of people get confused to what to do with the wire in the cover, just remove that wire and sealant the holes because you don't need it. What you need to do is, find the same sized terminal as the wire that came with the HID kit so you can do this to your stock wiring. The blue and black wires are the ones that come with the HID kit.

The only two things that you need to think about when mounting the ballasts is; it should not be located in an area where it can be soaked in water and it should be in an area with great ventilation(because the xenon bulbs might not create heat too much but ballasts do). To the people saying, oh it's gonna fall off just using double adhesive tape, or oh it might get wet, GTFO. I've had this set up for over 2 years now.

Now, you have plenty of length for the wires for the ballasts to the bulbs so no need to worry how you'll route it. But if you'd notice the new slim type ballasts have this capacitor looking thing along one of the wires, and based on my experience, if you leave that thing hanging around and it gets abused somehow from braking/speeding/bumps/whatever you'll have premature failure with your ballasts, though it doesn't matter cause most HID company's have lifetime warranty, but why go through the hassle??? So just make sure you strap those wires tight, especially that capacitor looking thing.

The headlights' is very easy to install, but the fogs(or any H3 bulb sized fogs) based on my experience have been the hardest and trickiest to install out of all. Because you have a cover that is custom made for the bulb size, then you now have a xenon bulb with wires sticking out of it that plugs directly to the ballasts plug. So what to do, what to do?? If you have a dremel great, if you have a soldering iron no problem. Just melt this part of the cover, enough to fit the 2 wires, then seal it, DONE! If you do it in the location where I did it, you don't even need to sealant it, cause it'll be pointing downward, so water wouldn't get in it.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-08-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-08-12, 10:45 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, Alot of '92-'94 owning noobs are surely going to be disappointed when they see that their conering lights are different from that of the foglights pictured above LOL!
Old 03-08-12, 10:48 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Boy, Alot of '92-'94 owning noobs are surely going to be disappointed when they see that their conering lights are different from that of the foglights pictured above LOL!
The title says fog lights, definitely different from cornering lights. So I hope nobody misinterprets it. You're not supposed to install HID's on your cornering lights anyways, because it doesn't have any reflector to reflect the light out.

*LED's work well with it though.