SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Electric Turbo/supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 12:06 AM
JSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Turbo/supercharger

Have anyone try this Electronic Turbocharger? I'm wondering does it really work.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Turbo/supercharger-esc.jpg  
Old 09-07-02, 12:08 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you're going to go that route, a BIG if, get the "real" one. http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ I've only seen one in real life, on a Honda, and it for sure made a difference. But you're still better off going the nitrous router, more power, same money.

SR
Old 09-07-02, 02:27 AM
sc300lover
Driver School Candidate

You guys can't be serious...
Old 09-07-02, 02:40 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

The first one is totally bogus. THere's these people selling them on ebay saying they're like 60hp increase...lol

The one I posted is the eRam. They've gotten 2psi with those things now, on a WOT switch just like most nitrous kits. Pretty cool for a low dough situation.

Serious? Yes. Would I buy it? No. Get nitrous.

SR
Old 09-07-02, 02:43 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Jsc400 you didnt' just purchase that did you?? man that is just soo lame. air coming from the outside is probly going into the car faster than that thing spins man. LOL
Old 09-07-02, 02:53 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

Looks like a blower for a marine application. I have, almost, the exact same blower on my boat. It is to suck the fumes out of the engine compartment before you start it. I dont see how it would work on a car! I would never buy it.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Turbo/supercharger-i-1f.jpg  
Old 09-07-02, 03:03 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was found on ebay by seller matoumatou

Be Warned!
Please Read Entire Auction Description!

These Fans are Total Scams and a Big Rip Off!
These Items Not Only Do Not Work!
They are $17 marine Blowers that Will Hinder Your Cars Performance, And Can Cause Major Engine Damage after the plastic blades break off and is sucked into Your Vehicles Engine!

These inline fans are only 130-230cfm 3-5 amp $15-$30 marine bilge Blowers using plastic fan blades.
They ARE NOT The 750cfm 50 amp high output Electric Superchargers.
These 50amp Blowers claim to be able to slightly pressurize the intake air with up to 1 psi boost and from 4% - 6% GUARANTEED horsepower gains for about $300.00
(Just Look them up and see for yourself)
If these 50amp Monsters can only give you up to 1 lb of Boost and 4-6% HP gain which is only 12 hp on a 200 hp engine.
How Can These Scammers Claim 20-60 hp gains on a 3.5amp bilge blower?
Do you know how?
Because they can say whatever they want!
They are scammers and ebay seems to care less!

They will not give you any boost!
These Items on ebay are almost all Boat Bilge Blowers that put out at the most 250 cfm and are unable to provide boost! This might keep up with your engine at idle and that's it!
Your engine intake will actually be restricted due to this type of fan being in your intake! Causing a loss of Power!
The Engine Damage will be (and has been) caused with the in line models when your engine is running at high RPM's and these fans then spin (due to your engines intake) at over 2x their intended RPM's.
These fans were not intended for high speeds they will encounter causing the plastic fan blades to break off and go into your engine!
If you check out the e-ram electric blower they will tell you that they provide a screen that goes between the fan and your intake to keep pieces from getting sucked up into your engine!
This is if you have a 4 cyl engine! Imagine if you own a 6 cyl or V8 and place one of these fans on them?

Ebay Says I cannot give out URL's or any Web pages in my ads and I have To Be Selling Something!
Ebay has already pulled several of my ads!
Imagine that? Pulling my ads and leaving all of these bogus Fraudulent ads on ebay?
So, This bid is for the URL (for $1.00) to the Seachoice Inline Bilge Blowers (like the one pictured) for $16.53 Part # 50-41841 and many others for a fraction of the price you will find on ebay. These blowers can be made useful for many things but placing them in your intake line as a power boost is not one of them! If this auction has saved you a lot of time, aggravation, and Money and has enlightened you to these Fraudulent scams please bid $1.00 for the URL(web page)to these Blowers to help finance my cause!

The Big Blowers you now see on ebay are an even BIGGER SCAM than those small inline Blowers on ebay! They may not break apart and cause engine damage because they use a metal rotor, But Even if it did work (which they don't!)where would you fit the thing? These Blowers are made for Boats to exhaust fuel fumes! Not Cars! They are made of Plastic and if placed too close to your exhaust will cause a fire! These scammers are really becoming laughable! Please Read On!

If Ebay continues to allow people to sell these items as TURBOS and SUPERCHARGERS that will give you 50-60 horsepower gains then there will be many unhappy Ebayers out there with a bad taste of ebay in their mouths! This in turn will hurt sales to the honest Ebayers out there, And I'd hate to see that happen!

If any bidders are out there wondering why almost all their bids for this so called Turbo Supercharger are being done as a private auction it is because the sellers do not want you to know about this scam! They do not want anyone giving them info about this scam! If you check their feedbacks you will not see any good feedbacks for these so called Turbos! Why don't you see these blowers in car magazines?

For all around engine performance you'd first be better off going with an inline cold air induction system. These cold air intakes are for real giving up to 7 hp increase! Usually costing under $200 and they will not Damage your engine!

These system increase airflow by reducing restriction from filter to intake and some even supply your engine with cooler air using a duct to the outside of engine compartment which increases power due to the higher density of colder air.
It Makes The Engine Sound Nice Too!

If you already have an enhanced exhaust or intake system like and you can't afford a $3,000 - $5,000 Turbo or Supercharger look for an electric blower (using at least 50 amps not 3-5 amps) from a reputable dealer who guarantees their product. These 50amp blowers can be a $300 risk because they can easily become overheated and burn out! Please do not be duped by these scammers selling $20 bilge blowers on Ebay and selling them as superchargers.

Below I have some of the many feedback letters from ebayers who have not been suckered into this scam!

Wanted to thank you for posting the Info about the SCAM! I have spent 10+ years in the Marina Industry including Designing Watercraft, and when I saw this scam for the first time I hoped no one would fall for it. These plastic blowers average about 200 runtime Hours before the blades drive into the housing of the blower. Pieces of the blades are usually ejected out through the hull, but if you have these connected to your engine, these same pieces will cause Serious Damage to your Engine, Resulting in a rebild costing several hundred dollars.
S. Lively

I whole heartedly agree with ALL statements made by you on your auction. We here at ####### Superchargers know full well how to make power, BELT DRIVEN! You are correct in saying that the electric fans will break up and destroy your engine, can you imagine the load placed on the motor and blades when a 4.0 Jeep is at 4,500 rpms? Our supercharger costs $3500, but produces 300 dyno PROVEN horsepower. Just try and get these scam artists to produce a dyno sheet! --------------------

Having been in the marine industry all of my life, 35 years, I had to laugh when I first saw these blower ads.Since Atwood manufacturers STRICTLY for the marine industry and since I have installed hundreds of these same blowers in bilges of boats over the years I could not believe that there were people out there dumb enough to believe this ad.Guess I was wrong. This clown that is selling these things will be lucky if he doesn't get sued or arrested eventually.
Phil

Nice job on the scamalert -- and thanks!
40 years ago I designed an electric supercharger for my Triumph TR2A. 24VDC centrifugal blower from an aircraft turbine starter, two batteries in series, 300 amps (7200 watts). Dyno'd at about +30hp, which in that car was significant, but it was useful only for short periods.
"Henry the old engineer"

way to go!!!
I am the seller of a electric supercharger that does give 700 cfm and 1 psig, I have been put out of business by these people because my item is 175.00. I have tried to tell the buyers but to no avail.. thanks great idea --------------------

hey,
thanks for the good information about the "superchargers". i just stumbled upon them today and was actually considering one for my 2000 civic si.
but after your information i will definately not be putting an exahust fan in my car, and if i was i would go to a marine store and get it for much cheeper.
once again thanks for the great and valuable info.
thanks

HAHAH!
I kept asking them how a 220 cfm fan would increase my power on an engine which flows more to begin with and they refused to answer. I love the tact shown here in your auction/notice.
Thanks for the laugh!
--Curt--

I already knew it was a scam, but great job in posting this!!! Hopefully at least a few people will look and listen.
nathan

hey just wanted to thank you for the information i was getting abit skepitcal about this whole thing i mean build a turbo for 20 bucks lol but im glad someone actually put something up for people who dont no any better.

I do declare, these superchargers are crap. Although I bet they would make great stereo amplifier coolers for the type of guys that actually bought them thinking they'd flow more air than the engine is trying to suck in itself. So for the import guys who know a "Type R" sticker is worth at least 10 hp and a carbon fiber shift **** is another 5, use this fine wisely, cool your stereo equipment with it or just bolt it to the roof on the inside of your car and use it for a personal cooling fan because we all know just how much power that air conditioning sucks up. --------------------

A rip off it surely is. More power to you.
Phil

Thank you so much for putting this out there.
I knew it was a scam but I know too many people who have been drug in by it.
thanks.
BT

Hey,
you're doing a good thing.
I was wondering about those in-line blowers myself. I found the in-line one's at www.....com for $20.39.
Even if I wanted one, I darn sure wouldn't pay $79.95 for it!!!!!
Thanks,
Richard

YOU DA MAN!!!! ALTHOUGH, IT IS KINDA FUNNY HOW MANY TARDS' OUT THERE THINK THIS IS A VIABLE POWER ADDER!!!!
lmfao!!!!!
later

keep up the good work. these jerks must be making a fortune...keep fighting the good fight

So you may ask,
What are these blowers good for?
BILGE BLOWERS exhaust warm air from galleys and engine rooms, ventilating steam or odors from heads and general marine air circulation. Flangemount blowers are generally mounted with discharge port fastened directly to flat external surface minimizing required ducting. With mounting flange on discharge port. Inlet port can be connected with duct hose to area requiring ventilation.

REMEMBER! This is an air bilge pump to exhaust fumes from a boat. NOT A TURBO or SUPERCHARGER for any internal cumbustion engine!
Old 09-07-02, 03:05 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch lol pretty long... Hope this answers your Q... thanks to MatouMatou on ebay for this INFO.
Old 09-07-02, 03:45 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
The first one is totally bogus. THere's these people selling them on ebay saying they're like 60hp increase...lol

The one I posted is the eRam. They've gotten 2psi with those things now, on a WOT switch just like most nitrous kits. Pretty cool for a low dough situation.

Serious? Yes. Would I buy it? No. Get nitrous.

SR
Old 09-07-02, 10:31 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Heheh....hence the reason I didn't say NOS.

SR