SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

first sc400 problem ever, engine randomly cut offs wont start agian

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 07:00 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default first sc400 problem ever, engine randomly cut offs wont start agian

I was puling out of my driveway this morning and drove about 20 feet, I switch on my hids and the engine randomly cuts off and now wont start.

The engine turns very well, I had my friend try to jump start me no go. Battery is fairly new and puts out 725 ccas.

I've tried starting the car with the lights off, cluster dimmed, and radio off, nothing.

Last mod, I put my fog light HIDs the previous night which is wired to my highbeams. Started up and drove fine last night.

Drove the car all week and the engine did seem to start up a little bit slower than usual.

I also have an ignition interlock installed in this car also, which I haven't had a problem with.

Any ideas guys, this is fairly new to me the car does hae over 300k and im not sure if anything has been replaced in the car

ISSUE FIXED, efi fuse was blowing
O2 sensor wire melted and was touching the exhaust, new wires and 02 sensor no more blowing

Last edited by chnk; 07-01-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 07:12 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Will the starter turn the engine without being jumped ? Start with the basics, make sure you have spark and fuel and if not go from there. This may or may not have anything to do with the new lights, don't focus just on them.
Old 03-31-11, 07:19 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
Will the starter turn the engine without being jumped ? Start with the basics, make sure you have spark and fuel and if not go from there. This may or may not have anything to do with the new lights, don't focus just on them.
engine turns fine without being jumped

as for the spark and fuel ill have to check
Old 03-31-11, 08:01 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
I was puling out of my driveway this morning and drove about 20 feet, I switch on my hids and the engine randomly cuts off and now wont start.

The engine turns very well, I had my friend try to jump start me no go. Battery is fairly new and puts out 725 ccas.

I've tried starting the car with the lights off, cluster dimmed, and radio off, nothing.

Last mod, I put my fog light HIDs the previous night which is wired to my highbeams. Started up and drove fine last night.

Drove the car all week and the engine did seem to start up a little bit slower than usual.

I also have an ignition interlock installed in this car also, which I haven't had a problem with.

Any ideas guys, this is fairly new to me the car does hae over 300k and im not sure if anything has been replaced in the car
I doubt it has ANYTHING to do with your hid's..... Fuel, Spark, Air..... Check those three things. A little trick use to find spark instead of pulling a plug is to grab an old timing light, hook it up to a wire, have someone crank it and see if it flashes. Check fuel pressure at the rail....
Old 03-31-11, 08:28 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a fuse checker (small device that you push down on your fuses and it light ups a green LED if they're good) for like $3 at checker. Possible you just popped an EFI or ignition fuse or something to do with the ignition/fuel system
Old 03-31-11, 08:28 AM
NineTreSc3
Driver

does it start back up easily after cutting off? is it the starter solenoid clicking like its not getting enough current from the battery or is it totally dead? may also be a charging system problem. Check the rear bearings of the alternator by putting a screwdriver up to it to see if its magnetized.
Old 03-31-11, 08:37 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineTreSc3
does it start back up easily after cutting off? is it the starter solenoid clicking like its not getting enough current from the battery or is it totally dead? may also be a charging system problem. Check the rear bearings of the alternator by putting a screwdriver up to it to see if its magnetized.
If it doesn't start from a jump it's not a charging system problem... he's getting enough juice to turn over the engine but it's not firing which point to ignition or fuel.
Old 03-31-11, 10:25 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scottys209
I doubt it has ANYTHING to do with your hid's..... Fuel, Spark, Air..... Check those three things. A little trick use to find spark instead of pulling a plug is to grab an old timing light, hook it up to a wire, have someone crank it and see if it flashes. Check fuel pressure at the rail....
I figured its just a really weird it cut off at the same time

Originally Posted by Klaus
Get a fuse checker (small device that you push down on your fuses and it light ups a green LED if they're good) for like $3 at checker. Possible you just popped an EFI or ignition fuse or something to do with the ignition/fuel system
thanks ill check that out when i get back to the car tonight

Originally Posted by NineTreSc3
starter is clicking engine is turning over
Old 03-31-11, 05:38 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first guess is fuel pump.
Old 03-31-11, 07:30 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by V8drummer
My first guess is fuel pump.
i was thinking so too cause my car had been starting up slowly since I put the car back together, The car had been hibernating during the winter

Ill see in the morning
Old 04-01-11, 07:31 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the computer could be going bad. i.e. leaky capacitors... just a hunch.
Old 04-01-11, 07:52 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Before you throw parts at the car hoping to fix it, DIAGNOSE the problem. You can buy a fuel pressure gauge at any big-box autoparts store, check pressure for the pump, see my above post for ignition, I believe someone suggested to check the fueses (good idea) and THEN go from there. If you don't check that stuff first, you could end up dropping hundreds on suggested replacement parts to no end, and still have a car that doesn't start. If you feel like throwing parts at it though, then I would change all of these:
Fuel Pump
ECU
Fuel Filter
MAF
Cam Position Sensor
Crank Position Sensor
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Caps, Plugs, Wires, Coils, Ignitor
Fuel Injectors
See my point? If you let this thread go on without trying some of the suggested things, you probably will get all of these suggestions at some point. Start simple, and let us know what you find.
Old 04-01-11, 08:59 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

My friend ran int oa similiar problem and hes almost sure its the fuel pump ecu

I just check the fuel pump ecu through the diagnostic box by placing a paper clip end into the fp and b+, listen for fuel and tried cranking the car, nothing,

thank god I have a parts cars
Old 04-01-11, 09:41 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Yeah if that didn't work, then it's not your FP ECU. Did you pull codes yet?
Old 04-03-11, 01:22 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

checked the fuses under the kicker panel found nothing

swapped over the fuel pump ecu and fuel pump from my parts car

nothing

then I checked the fuse box under the hood which I stupidly forgot, and found me efi fuse blown, put another in and tried to start the car and it blew again

any ideas on this one guys? maybe my hids are causing a short somewhere in the electrical

Quick Reply: first sc400 problem ever, engine randomly cut offs wont start agian