SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help with 1JZ swap anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 12:37 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1JZ swap anyone?

Hey everyone, been a while since i posted up here.........been real busy with school and work and now im making some time for the car. If anyone remembers my old threads i had a 2jz-GTE with a T67 and R-154. something went wrong , most likely wrist pin, metal shavings in the oil, and unfortunately screwed my turbo too......but hey life goes on and gotta figure out something.

So here is where im at now....... Instead of rebuilding the 2J i settled for a 1J got a t-61 and slapped on my r-154. I just dropped in the setup into the car last night and had a major issue. The driveshaft is connected fine to the tranny so as far as engine being far enough back it is.

The problem im having is the engine is freakin tilted! the engine mount on the passenger side is in its slot but its basically lifting the engine up tilting it towards the driver side! My fear is that i may be using the wrong Bracket/Mount set up.

My brackets and mounts are both from my 2JZ......can anyone chime in and give some advice
Old 03-01-11, 12:47 PM
HottoMotto
Driver School Candidate

any pictures of it?
it might help
Old 03-01-11, 12:54 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

well, I used the stock tt turbo engine mounts and everything is fine. so there isn't any problem with the wrong engine mounts. 96 TT jza80 right?
Old 03-01-11, 01:30 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the first thing that came to my mind. Either wrong brackets, mounts or you have the brackets in the wrong mounting holes. I did this and noticed it before dropping the motor in.
Old 03-01-11, 03:40 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by drewdizzle
well, I used the stock tt turbo engine mounts and everything is fine. so there isn't any problem with the wrong engine mounts. 96 TT jza80 right?
I dont know exactly what year they came off of, but im pretty sure they are pre-97 Mounts, because i heard they changed them somehow for 97-99.

But yes they are TT Mk4 mounts.......... im just stumped

I dont really have access to take pictures for a couple days, but does anyone have pics of what the correct mounts and brackets are supposed to look like?? It would be really helpful and much much appreciated!
Old 03-01-11, 03:47 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

These are all I have, most of the shots are of the driver side tho. I have the Driftmotion mounts

Here is a shot of the passenger bracket, its a 97' block and the bracket was the same as my 92'

Last edited by 6SOARER; 03-01-11 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 05:30 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
These are all I have, most of the shots are of the driver side tho. I have the Driftmotion mounts

Here is a shot of the passenger bracket, its a 97' block and the bracket was the same as my 92'

Thanks for the uploads, i really appreciate you helpin out here. Ive been looking through the forum and found this picture.

Hope "OneJay" doesnt mind me using this picture for reference. I have the brackets in the picture but i dont have these mounts. I have the mounts on the far right of the picture............... you think that is my issue? because come to think of it the engine does look like its sitting pretty high LoL
Old 03-01-11, 06:47 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you pretty sure it was a wrist pin in your last engine ? Do you have a really high performance clutch ? I was just wondering if you know for sure you didn't walk the crank in the 2j before it happens again to the 1j.
Old 03-02-11, 01:05 AM
WetLexus
Rookie

So i made a trip out to the car today and figured out the problem...........the most stupid thing and i cant believe i didnt notice it. There are two different brackets on the motor!! exhaust side has 1jz bracket, intake side has 2jz bracket. And both sides have the bigger sized 2jz mounts.

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
Are you pretty sure it was a wrist pin in your last engine ? Do you have a really high performance clutch ? I was just wondering if you know for sure you didn't walk the crank in the 2j before it happens again to the 1j.
im not positive, it could be many things. sounded something like a wrist pin, really bad ticking noise and it wasnt the lifters or springs cause i opened up cam covers and ran the car for a couple seconds to see exactly where the sound was coming from.......sounded like cylinder 5 or 6. And the clutch is stock....... and i absolutely babied the car when i first got it started basically treated it as if i was breaking it, didnt bog down the car or launch it, it never saw anything past 3500 rpm and i never let it hit boost of course.
Old 03-02-11, 08:31 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just get 6 hockey pucks (3 on each side)a two 1/2Inch bolts and you will have matching mounts. That's what I did and the car feels solid.
Old 03-04-11, 01:02 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by joe diego
Just get 6 hockey pucks (3 on each side)a two 1/2Inch bolts and you will have matching mounts. That's what I did and the car feels solid.
Just decided to use the shorter supra brackets and long supra mounts........worked like a charm. Engine is sitting perfect, but now i have to find slave cylinder for R154
Old 03-04-11, 02:21 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WetLexus
Just decided to use the shorter supra brackets and long supra mounts........worked like a charm. Engine is sitting perfect, but now i have to find slave cylinder for R154
Good to see that ya got it in. Hit up the classifieds or DM for the slave
Old 03-08-11, 09:14 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Good to see that ya got it in. Hit up the classifieds or DM for the slave
Thanks a lot for keepin up with this thread bro, i really appreciate the help here honestly. I ended up just ordering one from DM, i cant get over how awesome their site is lol.

Next set of problems..... my heat and a/c dont work......... the actual climate control screen works the buttons work but the fan isnt blowing at all. Im gonna take a look at the fuse first of course for the blower motor, but if not looks like i need to change the blower motor out.

And a weird issue im having is the throttle on my 1J is sticking for some reason. Its not the throttle cable because the cable isnt hooked up yet but the actual throttle itself. Im hoping its just some gunk or something that throttle body cleaner will fix.