SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

a question to all sc owners who love bass

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 08:25 PM
Track5tar
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked at an Audio shop(3/4 lexus) here in Atlanta for a few years.

All of the SCs came down to did they want the trunk space bad enough?

Most did not care about losing the trunk space for the bass so the stock rear sub was removed for air vent from trunk for whatever subs of their choice. (This way has an extreme louder and more ***** sounding outcome as opposed to getteing small sub put in the little pissy slot left from the stock sub)

Personally I removed the sub for vent and currently running 1 3512 Digital Desgin sub with a Kicker sx1250.1amp....badass

good luck with your pick
Old 09-30-10, 08:49 PM
SCKnight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
That looks good, but what about a spare? I assume you have AAA, or some other road-side service?

I would like to do this with my subs to dump the box, but being in Houston, I would rather not sit for too long with a flat waiting for a tow truck.
HAHAHA man I have never owned a car with a spare and I have AAA and Roadside assistance with Allstate so im good haha...
Im hooking up the subs tomorrow and building the false floor. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. i think im actually going to remove the stock sub for more sound.
Old 09-30-10, 09:33 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont like compromising.....so do what I did, get the best of both worlds....

JL 12 W7 and I get to keep everything as is. Took out the stock sub for better bass.

Old 09-30-10, 10:34 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evileagle

JL 12 W7 and I get to keep everything as is. Took out the stock sub for better bass.
thats real nice. Do you still have it? Saw it on classified awhile back
Old 09-30-10, 11:08 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 444 Likes on 366 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Track5tar
I worked at an Audio shop(3/4 lexus) here in Atlanta for a few years.

All of the SCs came down to did they want the trunk space bad enough?

Most did not care about losing the trunk space for the bass so the stock rear sub was removed for air vent from trunk for whatever subs of their choice. (This way has an extreme louder and more ***** sounding outcome as opposed to getteing small sub put in the little pissy slot left from the stock sub)

Personally I removed the sub for vent and currently running 1 3512 Digital Desgin sub with a Kicker sx1250.1amp....badass

good luck with your pick
How does the Digital Design sub sound compared to Alpine, Kicker, JL, and Rockford? Digital Design is huge out here in Oklahoma City, so I was wondering if they really live up to the hype.
Old 09-30-10, 11:13 PM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by keskipper
It is hard to find a sub shallow enough to fit in the stock location (I used the stock ring, just replaced the sub)
Hi,

I've got a couple of questions for you...

How hard was it to remove the stock ring from the subwoofer? How did you attach the replacement speaker to the ring?
Old 09-30-10, 11:44 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed aftermarket 10in sub in the stock location, enough bass for me. Plus the trunk space is free. I've tried installing 12in with box in the trunk but that took like half of trunk space so I didn't even bother.
Old 10-01-10, 01:35 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIKU*SC3
Just dont try to go drifting with it in there or itll fly all over the place and youll be pissed. lol trust me.
Reading thread, this made me lmao! Legalize it.

I'd do the back seat deal or stock spot.
Old 10-01-10, 05:09 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle

Now thats nice bro I wonder how it will sound ?
Old 10-01-10, 07:51 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
How does the Digital Design sub sound compared to Alpine, Kicker, JL, and Rockford? Digital Design is huge out here in Oklahoma City, so I was wondering if they really live up to the hype.
havent been into audio last few years..but DD use to be a real competitor in competition a while back

FI's/Crossfire also up there in rank...which is what my cousin used before he stopped competing
Old 10-01-10, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I use the 10" free-air kicker on the upper deck. Have a 1000 watt amp turned down half way (these kickers can handle alot).
Bumps hard and clean, but when you turn it up the third brakelight part of the deck will rattle (the SC rear deck is very flimsy).
You can get it to stop by wedging something in there / laying some mat down.
I have 2 12"s sitting around that I tried out in the trunk but it was overkill for this car.
I found the 10" free air to provide more than enough bass for the SC (and I do like my music bass heavy).

And despite what people have said free air woofers aren't that more expensive.
I bought this sub for like 80 bucks back in the day and they still make these types.
its overall the cleanest install, can't even tell its there with the cover on, and i keep the amp in the trunk.

oh and as for mounting depth, its really simple, if your woofer is getting too close to the tank or is too wide at the bottom to use the stock mounting ring, you can use 2 sided stick tape to make a circle around the mounting hole (only stick the bottom side, leave the tape on the top). This will also help absorb vibrations and give you a bit more clearance. I think I used like 3 layers before i dropped it in so that I could still utilize the stock mounting ring. The best part is that the ring/woofer doesnt rattle at all. just those silly metal clips that the brake light cover uses to mount to the ring will vibrate. you have to deal with that no matter which setup you choose though.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-01-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-01-10, 08:54 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Hey thanks man, that's how a subwoofer install should be. Clean. And you could hardly even notice it's there.
Old 10-01-10, 09:57 AM
BAD954BOI
Racer

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
And despite what people have said free air woofers aren't that more expensive.
I bought this sub for like 80 bucks back in the day and they still make these types.
its overall the cleanest install, can't even tell its there with the cover on, and i keep the amp in the trunk.
Hey! just for reference i have a quick question, which is with that sub you got there does it hit hard enough to the point that you could feel the baseline in your chest? because thats my peak and exactly where i want to be.
Thanks
Old 10-01-10, 11:13 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I am in the same situation as most of the guys looking for a right subwoofer, don't know which one to go with. I have a 500 watt alpine mono it's ready to rock.

Ali that's a very nice setup. I was looking at some kickers at best buy, don't know if I need that much horsepower, I wanted more like a 250 rms 500 watt sub that pounds yet you can hear the good sound quality
Old 10-01-10, 11:45 AM
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I am in the same situation as most of the guys looking for a right subwoofer, don't know which one to go with. I have a 500 watt alpine mono it's ready to rock.

Ali that's a very nice setup. I was looking at some kickers at best buy, don't know if I need that much horsepower, I wanted more like a 250 rms 500 watt sub that pounds yet you can hear the good sound quality
If it was up to me I would go that loud and just get a pre out control to turn the sub down if need be.

Quick Reply: a question to all sc owners who love bass