SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Speakers Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 12:29 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers Issues

Well I checked onlinecarsteroes.com and it says the SC400 has 6.5 speakers in rear and 4 in front. I have searched this website multiple time and everyone seems to agree. Today I went out and purchased 6.5 KS650 Kicker Speakers.

And I got to work I took everything out of my back seat ect. I uninstalled the old speakers but when I lined up the new mounting plate it didnt match no big deal ill drill some holes. But when I tested to see if the speaker dropped into the opening it didnt. It sits above it not flush. So now im confused what do I do now to get the speaker to sit flush in the opening? Or how to just modify them to work cause I know I have to put back on the rear deck panel.

And the speakers I took out looked like 4in but with the big OEM mounting plate I could see how people drop 6.5in into the slots easily but im not understanding where I went wrong and what to do now. Cause these kicker speakers mounting plate it a thin trim.

Last edited by nfordhk; 08-05-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 01:26 PM
assass1n
Pole Position

rear speakers are 4 inch. i have two sc400s and had to replace the speakers on both of them at one point. one is a 92 and the other a 95. there are a lot of people that put 6.5 in the rear but its definitely not the stock size for the rear speakers. i currently have 6.5 components waiting to go in the rear but still trying to figure out how to do it.
Old 08-05-10, 06:33 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Yeah I thought so. Well can someone please answer on how to fit a 6.5 speaker in my rear? I rather not pay 100 dollars to my audio shop for probably a 2 dollar piece that I need or something cause I already did all the work.
Old 08-05-10, 07:13 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

you can probably make a little spacer out of mdf to make them fit.
Old 08-06-10, 08:12 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

The mdf? Sorry ha
Old 08-06-10, 11:46 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

I took a picture. Now I found out that the rear cover does fit over the speaker like this. But is this safe? You see how the mounting plate is a inch seperated from the actual speaker and it doesnt sit flush in the spot. Should I just use long screws? And drill new holes into the metal??
Old 08-06-10, 11:51 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to use a jigsaw and cut the metal opening more to fit. I put in 6x9's in the rear. I used a 1/2 of mdf to mount the speaker in and then simply liquid nailed the mdf to the metal. There is enough room for the install. When I reinstalled the top cover, I used some carpet and placed under the cover to beef up the difference and to keep the rattling down. I used JL and they are extremely loud.
Old 08-06-10, 12:05 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

I don't get what mdf is and all the talk about it? Am I good to just take long screw and drill into the metal where its at? It seems secure and the cover fits over it.

Last edited by nfordhk; 08-06-10 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 08:14 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nfordhk
I don't get what mdf is and all the talk about it? Am I good to just take long screw and drill into the metal where its at? It seems secure and the cover fits over it.
mdf is the material thats usually used for speaker enclosures. its made from wood.

what i believe everyone is saying is to make a surrounding mounting bracket for it by cutting a ring out of some mfd and then dropping the speaker in it and screwing the speakers to the mdf instead of the actual metal. then use some kind of silicone or liquid nails to mount the mdf and speaker to the metal rear deck.
Old 08-06-10, 08:56 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nfordhk
Yeah I thought so. Well can someone please answer on how to fit a 6.5 speaker in my rear? I rather not pay 100 dollars to my audio shop for probably a 2 dollar piece that I need or something cause I already did all the work.
I fiberglassed the whole deck plate (not sure if its even called that) where the sub and 4'' speakers were at. Cut out 4 6 1/2 rings, angled them the way i wanted, and another layer of fiberglass over the rings. Vinyl over the fiberglass. I then took out the stock amp( i believe that's what it was) mounted next to where the sub and 4'' speaker was and there was also another blank opening on the other side between the sub and speaker. This is what i came up with... 4 JL audio 6 1/2's. sorry for the crappy pic
Attached Thumbnails Rear Speakers Issues-photo-2.jpg