SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mk3 or SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 06:33 AM
Sidesweep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk3 or SC300?

Hey guys, figure I might as well ask a few questions now so I can figure out where I wanna head with all this. I'm in the market for a 5 spd SC300 atm, and (seemingly like everyone else) I'm thinking of getting into drifting with it. I've searched to find what I can before I began asking any questions and I understand the different ways power can be had by going NA-T or going with the 1jz-gte (or even a 2jz-gte) swaps. As a novice, I figure I'm going to hit the wall without a doubt at some point, and I realize the Lexus (and even Toyota? correct me if I'm wrong) namebrand probably means expensive replacement parts. I do realize all the necessities of drifting and how it works (driving experience, coils, and LSD are basics among other things: practice and handling before power)
Would a Mk3 supra be a better choice as a starter because of better part availability and lighter chassis, or no? And if I do end up starting with an Mk3 and choose to do a 1jz or 2jz swap, are the swaps compatible between the Mk3 and SC300? (I know I'd like to be able to transfer parts over once I make the transition to the SC3 at some point). Thanks guys, I've been around for a little while and it seems like a great community, hopefully you can help me out .
Old 07-21-10, 06:37 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Driftmotion.com has all u need but in my opinion if u want a mk3 go for it but if u want a timeless drift machine/luxury sports car get the SC
Old 07-21-10, 10:17 AM
Sidesweep
Driver

i mean regardless i'd like to make the switch to the SC300, but as far as a learner i figure a Mk3 would be cheaper and easier to fix, but i'd still be keeping it in the Toyota family.
Old 07-21-10, 10:52 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

get both!! haha
Old 07-21-10, 10:59 AM
timber1426
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man i started with an mk3. Loved it. I didn't get into the whole drift scene but got in plenty of trouble. I am now driving a 97 sc3. I would say it is still expensive with the mk3. I sunk close to 15000 in my mk3 and it still needed things. I would say get what you want forget the learning curve. Start driving what you will end up driving if you can afford it.
Old 07-21-10, 12:02 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A luxury drift car is pointless as the luxury features only apply to street driving and drifting on the street makes you an a-hole. So I would look at both as being pure bred race cars. Between the two I think the MKIII would be the better choice- people nearly throw out body parts for those cars. There is a guy locally who is literally giving away a straight mkiii chasis. Building any race car will be expensive, however the MKIII will be cheaper especially when it comes to repairs. But you don't need a lot of money to have a fun drift car. Strip the chasis, get a decent seat, a stock 7m-GTE with an r154 behind it, coilovers, wheels and tires, and you'll be 98% there. Get experience on that setup then decide where you want to go from there.
Old 07-21-10, 12:10 PM
Sidesweep
Driver

exactly what i was thinking Klaus. i wouldnt even bother keeping the SC as is, more than anything i enjoy the looks of the car. Mk3 as a learner would probably do the most good for me and my wallet .
Old 07-21-10, 12:41 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klaus
A luxury drift car is pointless as the luxury features only apply to street driving and drifting on the street makes you an a-hole. So I would look at both as being pure bred race cars. Between the two I think the MKIII would be the better choice- people nearly throw out body parts for those cars. There is a guy locally who is literally giving away a straight mkiii chasis. Building any race car will be expensive, however the MKIII will be cheaper especially when it comes to repairs. But you don't need a lot of money to have a fun drift car. Strip the chasis, get a decent seat, a stock 7m-GTE with an r154 behind it, coilovers, wheels and tires, and you'll be 98% there. Get experience on that setup then decide where you want to go from there.
Klaus nailed it.
Old 07-21-10, 12:54 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 on what klaus said MKiii pure race car or SC street non drifter
Old 07-21-10, 01:51 PM
Sidesweep
Driver

thanks guys, wasn't sure which route would be the most cost effective, great community here
Old 07-21-10, 02:04 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

to beat on, i would take the mk3... i have both... one is my beater...
Old 07-21-10, 02:49 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Had 2 mk3s, 1 n/a the other 1 was a turbo, loved them both, they are still heavy pigs though. As far as swapping for 1j or 2j engines you will need to move firewall a couple of inches back, to fit the engine, it will be a pain in the butt to do the swap compared to sc, and will involve more $$ than you think or plan. I would use z30 chassis platform for drifting rather than ma70
Good luck

Jmo

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 07-21-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 02:50 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Klaus
I agree with Klaus! He basically summed it all up. If you have the money, get both cars!
Old 07-21-10, 03:00 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

The mk3 is a heavy car if you roll it off the lot and think your going to do some aggressive driving with it, But allot of weight is very easily removable, and i mean a lot. Ive got my supra stripped down about as far is it will go, and it feels like a S13 or ae86, its very light feeling and responsive, so if you want to slide Ide say get the mk3, put a 1uz into it you will have a blast.
Old 07-21-10, 03:23 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

mk3 weighs the same as an sc pretty much.

I'd get the mk3 for starter drifting assuming that you might wreck it. Mk3 parts are cheap and plentiful.

I Would not want my first drift car to be a nice sc. Much more expensive to replace parts, used and new.

Quick Reply: Mk3 or SC300?