SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 SC400 passenger window issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 08:20 PM
YZFR1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SC400 passenger window issue

I have done a search..... I have read many threads but all are different that i've seen..... Here is my issue....

Drivers window works fine.... up and down at will........ Passenger window..... one time, a couple of years ago, it went down, but wouldn't go back up...... i played with the switch a little and it worked again... no problems....

Just had the same problem again..... someone else was using my car... they put the passenger window down half way..... then it wouldn't go back up........ they put it all the way down and there it stuck........

I try to use either window switch, but it would not go back up..... when trying to push the window down, you can hear a relay type of click and the dome light dims slightly so i know the motor is actuated..... when i try to push the switch up....... nothing changes.... no relay clicking noise and no window go up........ It really seems like a relay issue somehow..... but i am not sure......

Needless to say, i took off the door panel and used my jump box...... made a wire and touched the wires to the motor....... window went up fine.... no problems......

I hope someone has an idea what relays are in the system or if they think it is the master switch somehow...... Any help would be much appreciated.... I will be out of town for a few days... Thanks again.

Dan
Old 06-23-10, 08:53 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YZFR1
I have done a search..... I have read many threads but all are different that i've seen..... Here is my issue....

Drivers window works fine.... up and down at will........ Passenger window..... one time, a couple of years ago, it went down, but wouldn't go back up...... i played with the switch a little and it worked again... no problems....

Just had the same problem again..... someone else was using my car... they put the passenger window down half way..... then it wouldn't go back up........ they put it all the way down and there it stuck........

I try to use either window switch, but it would not go back up..... when trying to push the window down, you can hear a relay type of click and the dome light dims slightly so i know the motor is actuated..... when i try to push the switch up....... nothing changes.... no relay clicking noise and no window go up........ It really seems like a relay issue somehow..... but i am not sure......

Needless to say, i took off the door panel and used my jump box...... made a wire and touched the wires to the motor....... window went up fine.... no problems......

I hope someone has an idea what relays are in the system or if they think it is the master switch somehow...... Any help would be much appreciated.... I will be out of town for a few days... Thanks again.

Dan
Just had this same problem and solved it. The important fact you need to know in troubleshooting the window switches is that the ground return path (for BOTH passenger and driver side) runs through the driver's master switch. That's what failed in my case. Once you've tested that the passenger motor and window regulator operates fine (by jumping across the motor directly), you can try pulling the plug from the master window switch and grounding pin 7 to the chassis while someone pulls up the passenger window switch. If the window rolls up, then you know* your master window switch was probably bad (and you've just verified that your wiring harnesses in both the door jambs are ok too). Pin 7 of the master is the entry from the passenger switch for the up function ground path. If grounding this solves the passenger up function, AND the driver's window operates normally, then there is a problem in the master switch's internal circuits.

* this assumes that the driver's master still functions properly for the driver side window up/down functions. If it doesn't, then you may have pinched/frayed/broken wire problems in the door jambs.

Get a wiring diagram from the many free online sources (search ); it makes it all pretty clear.

G/L
Old 06-24-10, 05:35 AM
chashiubow
Pole Position

I too had the same problem...fixed by replacing the master window switch.
Old 06-24-10, 06:25 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Check the wires by the door jam. They tend to get stress from opening the driver door alot and start to break apart.
Old 01-15-21, 01:19 PM
dean s
Driver

Default sc400 passenger window fix

indeed the master switch will cause the passenger window to not operate properly.Been chasing that problem for awhile!
Old 01-15-21, 07:32 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

had the same issue back on my sc300 and it was the ground as well