Trans code 62

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 07:02 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans code 62

So my car is having trans issues...

As the car warms up, the O/D light starts to blink and whenever coming to a stop and starting again... the trans doesn't seem to downshift. When I try to take off, it takes forever to get the car going (kinda like a slipping clutch). But if I manually shift the car into L, the car will take off with no problems.

I put the car into diagnosis mode (shorted E1 and TE1), and the O/D light blinked 6 then 2 times. Reading other threads I've found:
- Code 62 is a wheel speed sensor malfunction (scroll about halfway down)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sors-help.html

- But I've also found this
Originally Posted by RedAE102
The O/D OFF light blinking indicates that a trouble code has been stored in the computer, much like a trouble code in the engine will cause the Check Engine light to come on. There is a way to retrieve the trouble code stored in the computer. I only have trouble codes for the A245E, but if it's the same problem, then the code will be the same for the A340E. All you need to retrieve the code is a jumper wire to bridge terminals in the diagnostic port (in the engine compartment on your OBD-I car). This will NOT work on OBD-II equipped cars ('95+ LS400s are OBD-II).

The procedure is:
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (do not start the engine), and push the O/D switch in (O/D).
2. Bridge the terminals E1 and TE1 of the data link connector with a paperclip or jumper wire.
3. The code stored is indicated by the number of flashes of the "O/D OFF" light. The light will blink the number of the first digit of the code, then pause, then blink the number of the second digit of the code, then a longer pause, then will either move on to another code if a second one has been stored, or will flash the first one again.

The only codes I know of are:
Code 42 (4 flashes, pause, 2 flashes): Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS or circuit)
Code 62 (6 flashes, pause, 2 flashes): No. 1 Solenoid valve or circuit
Code 63 (6 flashes, pause, 3 flashes): No. 2 Solenoid valve or circuit
Code 64 (6 flashes, pause, 4 flashes): SL Solenoid valve or circuit
This was quoted from this link... I know it says it's for the LS400..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-blinking.html

- And then I found this...
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-how-can-i-fix
code 62 and 63 are codes for shift solenoids 1 and 2. The solenoids may have an open or short. If you are familier with The valve bodies of these transmissions then you can remove the pan and remove the 2 solenoids and test them. I have replaced a few solenoids in these. Rarely have I repaced the whole transmission. If you aren't comfortable with this it should not be a very expensive fix at a trans shop.

Does anyone know which one it is? My speedo and rpm's are fine, both work great... if that matters any.
Old 06-14-10, 10:52 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem in my sc. I replaced all the solenoids, got them from a member here for under $100 I believe. Replacing these is no harder than removing the transmission pan and undoing a few more bolts. If these are going bad its a very good idea to change the transmission fluid anyway. The most difficult part was trying not to break the brittle plastic clips when unplugging the old solenoids.
Old 06-15-10, 07:25 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say you had the same problems... do you mean you threw the same codes, or same symptoms?
Old 06-15-10, 05:05 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep code 62 or 63. It would seem to skip gears and go from 1st to 3rd or refuse to get out of overdrive. But it would work only if I manually shifted it into gears.