SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Moving gas tank into spare wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 07:35 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving gas tank into spare wheel well

Alright, I read a while back about some guy who modded out his sc400 by putting a custom shaped gas tank into the spare wheel well, and then using the space where the gas take was for subwoofers.

I forget what magazine it was in, maybe import tuner. But that's beside the point. What do you guys think about this idea? Is it feasable? More importantly, Is it safe? could a light rear end accident turn into a car fire? Are there any shops that can do this kind of work?

Just a thought here....
Old 02-21-02, 07:46 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moving gas tank into spare wheel well

There's a bunch of vehicles out there that mount gas tanks in even more comprimising locations. I believe the gas tank also has a durable membrane within that holds all the fuel in it in case of a fracture in the metal casing. Plus everything around the gas tank is well grounded. The idea is feasible, I know a lot of GM cars have aftermarket gas tank upgrades (10gal > 15gal, 15 gal > 20gal). For the SC or any Lexus, it'd probably be a custom job, not something I'd want to do myself, and if done right would be 100% safe. I don't think the spare tire well would hold 15 gallons of fuel though. Without that gas tank, the trunk space would be a dream!
Old 02-21-02, 07:50 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the thought... Lex Luthor, SC300T, SC300TURBO, CmptrWhiz? you guys got any input or thoughts?

Would toyomoto be able to make a mod like this? It's something that would need to be done right, so I figure talk 2 toyomoto ("better than OEM")

If need be, I'll figure out the volume of that spare tire well on saturday.
Old 02-22-02, 08:45 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know the volume of the spare wheel well and really cant be arsed to measure it but I will hazard a guess you wont get too far on the amount of fuel it could hold.

Just imagine a 5 gallon fuel can sitting where the spare goes, do you think it would fit, possibly and at great expense of manufacturing, sounds like a real stupid idea my man.
Old 02-23-02, 01:09 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

It was Import Tuner that article was in. They cut out the entire spare tire well, and made a new lower casing to hold the gas tank.

Is it something I would do? Nope. too much work, for not enough. That guy had an endless budget...

SR
Old 02-23-02, 05:02 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You COULD use a fuel cell. They are VERY safe & Easy to install. BUT, I would only use one in a car built for drag racing only.

Cars with luxury items don't make the best race cars.
~Em.
Old 02-23-02, 09:25 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Agreed then, this is not a project for the light-hearted, or light-funded. Emerald is right on the money, a cell is the best option, but you'd better be running nice times before you do that, lest you be tagged a poser. There are some shops that will fab a tank in the spare tyre well for you, i'll measure the space for you if I get a chance, but it's probably not more than 15 litres, plus you'll have to make sure there is some baffling if you do any aggressive cornering at all, and the pickup and connection to the supply line to the rail would all have to be fabbed, i'm assuming you'd want to re-use the oe in-tank pump. Not worth it bro, if you're an absolute bass freak, either fab a new rear shelf and fit a couple free-airs in there (not what I would do), or do something like what Steven did and remove the oe sub and fiberglass an enclosure into the spare tyre well and fit a couple subs with reasonable Thiele-Small parameters. That you could do on your own no problem, pick up a book on laying 'glass and get crankin'.
Old 02-24-02, 09:39 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

No it was import racer, I had the magazine but I lost it. I think it would be ALOT easier for you just to make a custom sub box than to move the gas tank, that guy was a crackhead.
Old 02-24-02, 01:36 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We did that car, it was quite a bit of work, I'd say only if you were serious about getting proper sound out of a car that would be something to consider.

A 15 gallon cell won't really fit in the well without notching the corners either.
Old 02-24-02, 05:44 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

can you please post pics of this...i never saw it and im very interested....how big is our stock tank?....and howw as the modification on this sc?....tell us more double woosh..Jeff