SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 05:36 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love this forum!
Old 05-16-11, 10:44 AM
LukeNag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everybody
Old 05-18-11, 01:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the fact that this forum is generally friendly. Maybe some members are stupid every now and then, but mostly friendly.

However, it's a bit crazy to simply hold your proverbial tongue just because you've got a negative opinion of something. It's not hard to put something nicely most of the time, and for God's sake, everyone here is pretty much of adult age. So I don't usually post my negative opinions of things, but sometimes I do. We're not family, and I'll likely ever meet maybe one of you people. Why is it so hard to speak freely and openly without such censorship? Just state your ideas in a mature way. (Maybe even make sure you spelled everything correctly before you click 'Submit' as well.)

If we're encouraging people to do their own thing with their cars, why can't others be allowed to say what they want about it?

*Note: I am NOT advocating being an a-hole. I AM advocating not being a wussy. Grow up sometimes. Stick to your own opinions. If someone disagrees, then agree to disagree.
Old 05-18-11, 07:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I love the fact that this forum is generally friendly. Maybe some members are stupid every now and then, but mostly friendly.

However, it's a bit crazy to simply hold your proverbial tongue just because you've got a negative opinion of something. It's not hard to put something nicely most of the time, and for God's sake, everyone here is pretty much of adult age. So I don't usually post my negative opinions of things, but sometimes I do. We're not family, and I'll likely ever meet maybe one of you people. Why is it so hard to speak freely and openly without such censorship? Just state your ideas in a mature way. (Maybe even make sure you spelled everything correctly before you click 'Submit' as well.)

If we're encouraging people to do their own thing with their cars, why can't others be allowed to say what they want about it?

*Note: I am NOT advocating being an a-hole. I AM advocating not being a wussy. Grow up sometimes. Stick to your own opinions. If someone disagrees, then agree to disagree.
I totally agree with you here and we're not asking for sunshine and flowers from everybody. Negative opinions of what someone has done to their car are just fine... if the original poster (OP) can't take the criticism along with the kudos then they shouldn't be posting on the internet.

All we're asking is for the negative commentary to be posted in a polite and mature (if not constructive) manner.
Old 08-08-11, 09:35 PM
nemisonic
Driver School Candidate

As a member of the M5board and Saabscene forums, I have to say the DIY sections here on club lexus are right up there with the best of them. My wife loves her 94' SC400 and it's at 295,000 miles keeping up with Porsche's on the highway (the secret is to fix the kick-down switch spring, to stop it from being stuck on).

We hit a spot of trouble and had to make a choice between cars. The SC400 won on Performance + Reliability. Trust me, if you get a dent in this car, pay the body shop to fix it. It's worth it.

Cheers!

1994 Sc400 295k
2003 BMW e39 M5 (sold)
2003 Saab 95 Aero (sold)

Some items based on DIY on this forum and Planet Soarer:
- Found the service manual
- Diagnosed "tramlining" as broken vacuum hoses to the PS pump, not control arms
- Brakes
- Tune up DIY
- Struts, strut mount, sway bar bushings replaced
- Climate control LCD replaced
- Speakers replaced and fixed tape deck in Nakamichi system
- Dashboard DIY
- Leather seat upholstery replaced
- Headlight and tail lamp condensation fix
- Gas tank cap gasket replaced
- Cleaned idle air control valve
- Found bad coils after failed O2 sensor
- Replace O2 sensor DIY
- Radio and HVAC removal DIY
Old 08-23-11, 06:28 PM
DJ XO
Pole Position

Amen, and preach!
Old 09-17-11, 09:13 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like a good idea...

I've been on a few of these boards over the years, and they always seem to come to some sort of a bad end unfortunately. While I have no real problems with anyone here and don't forsee any, we need to make sure this board doesn't become the old fogeys vs. the new blood.

Anyone who watches Top Gear may remember when the tuned Peugot went up against the Bug-Eyed Sprite. Both driven by the Stig, but the Sprite blew the tuner completely out of the water. The owners and supporters of the Sprite were mostly bearded and jacketed retirees- and I'm not ready to apply for Social Security yet.

I think we all need to remember that the aftermarket scene has existed in some form since Henry Ford rolled his first Model T off the assembly line. If the car industry is to be believed, younger folks are waiting longer to get their licenses and into the car scene. I don't know that I buy into that (a completely different thread, I'm sure), but I won't participate in anything that ostracizes another gearhead- regardless of what I may think of their mods.
Old 09-30-11, 05:32 PM
soLow1jzSC
Driver School Candidate

i agree with the whole point of this thread 100%. Even though i frequented these forums quite often before i joined, as a new member i see that some users need some forum etiquette classes. Internet punks....

If you dont have something positive to contribute, dont (even though you can) say anything at all. Or at least be a humble critic. Come on, your a Lexus owner... lol j.k, but seriously.
Old 10-30-11, 03:59 PM
blaw0013
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

I appreciate the comments about community as a brand new member. And as good advice for being a good citizen elsewhere as well.
Old 11-06-11, 07:16 AM
2cars4Trbo
Rookie

So far I like the forum. Im getting good vibes. Im on SupraForums, Audizine, RX7Club, and a few others and Im, liking the atmosphere
Old 01-31-12, 11:03 AM
issacmuk
Driver School Candidate

i agree i ask a simple question an got some rude comment when first i joini almost cancel my membership but realize other are more caring to help a+ for this thread
Old 02-06-12, 01:31 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Having been on Nasioc(one of the largest car forums) for the last 10 years and seeing it evolve from something genuine and pure to a highly saturated forum with too much disinformation, it is refreshing to come on to a national forum like this and still get the sense of a tight knit community. I have a expansive knowledge of Subarus and cars in general, and hope I can bring some good help and knowledge to this forum. I am still studying and learning, and this forum has been a huge help, so just wanted to say thanks.

Also, for any one new to this forum or any forums in general, search, read, research, and read some more, you will learn how to sort though all the B.S. in due time. If you are asking questions, wear your flame suit, and don't take anything personally. We were all "noobs" at one time, have all made stupid posts and asked dumb questions..we live and learn. Just enjoy your car, and remember, we modify them to make them better for ourselves, not anyone else.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-10-12, 05:40 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom line is, even thought most people here represent themselves as "Car Enthusiasts", they are really representing "Playing on an internet forum like a videogame".

Some people are just socially awkward, and as such reveal the character they want to be when in a forum, not who they really are. Fantasy role playing if you will.

When I post, there is no "shrt hnd txt msg 2 u" to make me look like a stupid teenager.

That, and the fact I'm not in the majority of the SC owners in here, 22-25.

If you ever run into a problem the age of most people in the SC community are 22-25, try to keep that in mind.

Most other sensible like-minded enthusiasts like myself, don't have a hard time at all.
Old 06-09-12, 09:20 AM
Toxin
Driver School Candidate

honestly I was trying to decide between a sc400 and a dsm, the sense of community, and having one anothers back between the lexus guys was something that really influenced my decision. I was just lurking then, but the fact that it was a positive scene has always made me smile. Glad to see that getting addressed
Old 06-12-12, 01:06 PM
jme4130
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Having been on Nasioc(one of the largest car forums) for the last 10 years and seeing it evolve from something genuine and pure to a highly saturated forum with too much disinformation, it is refreshing to come on to a national forum like this and still get the sense of a tight knit community. I have a expansive knowledge of Subarus and cars in general, and hope I can bring some good help and knowledge to this forum. I am still studying and learning, and this forum has been a huge help, so just wanted to say thanks.

Also, for any one new to this forum or any forums in general, search, read, research, and read some more, you will learn how to sort though all the B.S. in due time. If you are asking questions, wear your flame suit, and don't take anything personally. We were all "noobs" at one time, have all made stupid posts and asked dumb questions..we live and learn. Just enjoy your car, and remember, we modify them to make them better for ourselves, not anyone else.

Thanks,
Rick

Whats up Rick! Well said by the way. I agree.
My 2 cents~
We should all be on here to help and give advice, as well as take some 'constructive' criticism at times. This forum has been very helpful for me. I joined before I even owned a lexus. Now I have 2 SC400's.

I would hate to see this forum get overrun by negativity. Lets keep it fun and entertaining so more people want to join and become a part of the community. Don't give in to the drama and negativity. Sad to say, but I have noticed a lot of that on here lately.

Time is a wasted luxury. Lets not waste our time being inconsiderate. Lets use our time to be positive and help others not only on here, but outside the forums as well.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum.