SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 08:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Default PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum.

A Message to ALL SC Forum Members:

Over the last few months the moderator team has noticed a growing issue with the SC forum.... it's losing its sense of community. The SC crew has nearly always been mature, helped each other out and worked through their differences like adults.

However, lately there has been an increase in unprovoked personal attacks, rude comments and a general lack of respect for one another. It's not all from the new members; the OG's are sometimes drawn into it as well.

These activities will not continue. We will regain our sense of community, starting now.

HOW? We're going to accomplish this on in two ways...

Stop the bleeding
1) informing members of this request, asking for their help
2) increased moderator presence and attention in the SC forum
3) use of temporary 24 hour or 1 week ban from the forum as cool off periods after ignoring warnings
4) permanent bans for continued offenses against our community rules

Resuscitate the breathing
1) implementation of an expanded set of forum rules (click here to review them)
2) better communication of use of the search feature to new joiners in their welcome email
3) nomination new moderators to help monitor the SC forum and help members
4) implementation of the SC FAQ forum to help cut down on the repetitive Q&A

WE NEED YOUR HELP
I'd like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads.

Give a warm welcome to ALL new members, not just the new female members.

Help others. Yes we're tired of the same questions and the dreaded "how much is this SC worth" daily post. Take turns answering them . Cut & paste the same thoughtful response and links you took time to write up last time.

Thicken your skin, be 'better than that'. Don't respond angrily to a rude post. Rise above it or don't respond.

If you get a temporary 24 hour or one week ban, please take the warning seriously. Don't come back angry and complaining and don't pick up in the same thread doing the same thing. We're using this method to try and provide 'cooling off' time when needed. Warnings sent in private and public just don't seem to be doing enough to discourage some of the recent behaviour here... we will show some folks the door if they can't participate in a mature manner that enhances our community instead of destroying it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this message. We'll accept feedback on this thread for a short while, then it will be pruned and left as a sticky in this forum for a period of time.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-10-05 at 08:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
2LexSC400s (06-08-19), andereid (10-22-17), Oscar31 (03-29-17)
Old 11-10-05, 07:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'm going to leave this 'un-stuck' at first as I think it gets more views that way.
Old 11-10-05, 08:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good idea Dave this forum has changed since I joined.
Old 11-10-05, 08:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by cherplex
Good idea Dave this forum has changed since I joined.
So you're saying you are the problem? j/k

If you guys have other suggestions on how we can help re-establish the community please chip in. Looking for other ideas and alternatives to expand upon or refine those I have above.
Old 11-10-05, 08:06 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these requests don't seem unreasonable. I haven't been very active here, but I did notice a pretty big jump in hostility recently
Old 11-10-05, 08:12 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is much needed.

The SC forums have been going downhill for a while now. Funny, we don't see as much foolishness in the GS, SC430, LS, etc. forums as those crowds tend be a bit more mature.
Old 11-10-05, 08:16 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You would think that everyone who joins an enthusiast site would be ready to see lots of different tastes in the SC crowd. I kind of like the variety, keeps your car lookin' "different"...

Dave: *cough*Make me a moderator!
The following users liked this post:
2LexSC400s (06-08-19)
Old 11-10-05, 08:22 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I got your back!

Too many unneccessary comments/unneeded tones circulating around. It's good to have an honest opinion but it's all in how one express themselves, which seperates the unruly from the crowd.

Sometimes I can be very reluctant to post, but I still consider this MY immediate community in hopes that we can all learn from each other. There is a remarkable amount of newcomers especially here in these SC forums but I have full faith, that with the moderation here we can all respect each other, even those that may not deserve it. With that being said, respecting someone and liking their car/person/etc. are in 2 different ball parks. Hostility definitely needs to simmer down...
Old 11-10-05, 08:39 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Good deal Dave!

Group Hug!

Last edited by IronCobra; 11-10-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 09:34 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

good stuff Dave, I agree with what you stated
Old 11-10-05, 10:16 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Dave good job and well needed. I have been frustrated as others have over the nonsense thats been going on.
I hope the maturation process happens quickly as we seem to be losing interest in the sc forum by our senior members... myself included.

Ironically i was just thinking as others that the SC forum was beginning to sound like the Supraforums "off topic" ...lol
Old 11-10-05, 10:23 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
You would think that everyone who joins an enthusiast site would be ready to see lots of different tastes in the SC crowd. I kind of like the variety, keeps your car lookin' "different"...

Dave: *cough*Make me a moderator!
Agreed.

This is one of the best forums in my opinion, well maintained. It's good to see some action being taken towards this.
Old 11-10-05, 11:19 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strong work. I've been finding myself posting less in the SC forum also. We need to accomodate the new crowd. As the SC gets older and gets more affordable, more "kids" will pick them up. Eventhough I might not agree with their tastes, we should all try to be tolerant and help each other out as much as possible. I mean we can all agree that the SC has a timelesss shape and I don't blame people for wanting to buy them now that prices have come down.
Old 11-10-05, 11:43 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

yes, lets all try to uplift each other and help each other out instead of bashing each other down.
this goes for me too.
Old 11-10-05, 01:25 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

I think its cuz our cars are cheap now =( as well as we have lots of issues on conflicting styles and goals for the SC, some want drift, some want VIP, some want OEM... and it seems not everyone understands that there are alternative approaches to fixing up the SC, and we should be able to appreciate all of them

I've been a member for a few days and I've seen this recent jump in hostility as one of the reasons I barely come here anymore, its not the same (plus I sold my SC muwahahaha)

but after all the years of admiring the SC (since I saw it on the cover of motortrend in 91 or 92) I stll think its one of the most elegant and classy cars on the road today

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum.