SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

help me choose which rims for sc430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01, 07:04 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh.....

5 spoke sporty wheels would be the best thing for the Sc430 Exilio. Those wheels you posted are nice...but they don't do the car justice.

Lowenhard LD1's or HRE 547's are befitting a car like that.

I'm leaning towards the 547's in the future for my SC4. IF you've seen the swift-racing GS4..you will see how nice those wheels are.

Hey Lexus IS300? Can you make an image w/those lowenharts on an SC400?
If you can...how about the HRE 547 wheels? If you could post those I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Anthracite SC

Old 04-09-01, 07:14 PM
exsilio

Default geez..there is a whole nother world out there

wow..I had no idea there were so many rims..I've always bough what came with the car. or did the factory upgrade.

I thought OZ was supposed to be good. But HRE and Lowenhart are better? Why? Can you rate all these guys on a scale of 1-10 and tell me what makes one better than the other?

Thanks.

BTW, I don't want my car to look like a low rider out of East L.A. I want it to appear fast, but still keeps it's luxury car pedigree.
Old 04-09-01, 07:32 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default The wheels ratings

Yeah...I agree w/you Exilio.
You don't want to make the SC430 look lik a lowrider.

Actually most of the rims recommended to you, by the other posters..are very nice and very expensive, but you see those wheels on professional athletes cars and rap starts..etc. I dunno if you want that look.

Tradiinao five spoke rims, will give the car a sportier look w/ithouth compromising the look.

I have 5 spoke split rims. They look good on my car...but I don't think they will on the SC430.

The HRE's are a classy look and you can't go worng w/them 1-10..about a 9. They are lightweight, and reduce unsprung weight.

The Lowenhards are much more for looks and being seein. they are very heavy, and are not subtle.
The only car that I've seen pull off the look of the lowenhards is the mercedes CL500. 1-10...7.

The other wheels that you put up..I'd give a 5 too. They are older styling and you don't want to go for that modular look. The point is to get AWAY from looking like that stock rims.

Opening up the wheel wheel and showing off those rotors will do wonders.

Hope that helps.

Anthracite

Old 04-09-01, 07:47 PM
exsilio

Default thanks..that helps...

..is Tradiinao a brand? And if so, do you have a URL?

And you are exactly right..I dont want the g-money car..just something that doesnt look stock..and gives the car some character without detracting from the overall design of the car.
Old 04-09-01, 07:50 PM
exsilio

Question how about these?

HRE Type 542 3pc

These aren't cheap...but I like the sportiness of them.

Anyone feel like mocking them up in PSD?

Opinions? Thanks.
Old 04-09-01, 08:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rims...

the "rivits" are actually there for more than just looks. The ones I posted are three-piece rims and are usually a lot more expensive than your typical "one-piece" rim (which, if they have "rivits", they're fake and just for looks...lame to fake it). The nice thing about three-piece rims is that if you hit a pothole and damage say the inside lip, you can just replace the inside lip (three-piece rims have a outside lip, inside lip, and the center, hence "three-piece) instead of having to buy a whole new rim (like with a 1 piece wheel.) Of course, most low-mid range one-piece wheel is usually the same price as just the inner lip on a high end three-piece rim.

The SC430 can easily support 20" rims. But the price for rims and tires goes up with size (but if you can afford a SC, you should be able to afford expensive rims). Note that as you go larger on the rims, your ride comfort will go down. And if you do go with 19" or 20", I really recommend lowering it (just 1", not much) as soon as the manfactures have applications for the SC430. Otherwise, your SC430 will look like LX430.

As for the "lowrider out of East LA" look, I can assure you, with any of the rims above, you would NEVER be mistaken for a "lowrider out of East LA". Those are all high-end rims. Do you think a Mercedes S500/S600 or a CL500/CL600 lowered on Brabus rims looks like a "lowrider out of East LA"? Just because you're car has lowered with rims doesn't automatically throw you in that category....much like owning a military-style gun doesn't make you an automatic murderer of small school children (well, maybe in the eyes of a left-wing "liberal" you are...)

As for making it "appear" fast, why? The SC430 is fast. You don't need rims to make it "appear" fast. It's not like it's a Honda Civic where it not only looks slow, but it IS slow (in stock or ricer/beaterz form). So on THAT car, making it look fast is SOMEWHAT reasonable (www.beaterz.com) The SC430 doesn't need any help to make it look fast. I say add the rims on to improve the overall looks of the car and to make it different from the other 11,000 or so SC430's out there this year...

Here are some websites...

www.hrewheels.com
www.fikse.com
www.kinesismotorsports.com
www.dazzmotorsports.com

I, for one, do not really like the HRE 547. I think the HRE 540, 543, 545, and 546 look best out of the 540 series. I also disagree that 5 spoke is the "best thing". I think you have to look at the overall design of the rim and what it looks like on the car. Some 5 spokes will look good, others won't.

I'm not a particular fan of the Lowenhard LD1 (but I love Lowenhart). I think the style is WAY to rap-star "bling-bling" in chrome. I liked them when they first came out, but when I saw them on cars, it didn't look that good. It could have been the cars/rim combo...

As for a rating scale, I would rate them like this:

HRE/Fikse/Kinesis = 10
Lowenhart = 8/9
OZ = 5/6

The Price struture is about the same...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-10-01 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-09-01, 08:17 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default They are called TYPOS

Exilio...I was typing the word "traditional".
Trandinario...or whatever I wrote is not a company..but a typo.

Manaray. "LowenHARD" is obviously a play on words..not a typo. Yes they are nice wheels..but I agree...that the LOWENHARTS get a little too rap star "bling bling" and will take away from the clean look of the SC430.

Exilio..you can't go wrong a/any of the 5 series HRE wheels...which one is best for you depends on your taste...

Old 04-09-01, 08:25 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default 545, 547, and 546 even 441's

Those are my picks for HRE wheels.

YOu can't lose w/these wheels.

(I sound like dealer)...but not.

Anthracite Sc
Old 04-09-01, 09:49 PM
exsilio

Default thanks again for all the tips

I think I'm limited to the size of the wheels right?

For instance, the run flats are for 18x8 rims..so if I see 18x8.5, those won't work unless I get new tires, right?

Old 04-09-01, 09:54 PM
exsilio

Default almost forgot...

Thanks for the links manaray.

Very helpful.
Old 04-10-01, 01:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anthracite SC: I didn't even realize the "LowenHARD" typo until you pointed it out

Exsilio: Don't limit you selection of rims to the size of the Run Flats. The way I see it, Lexus Roadside Assistance is only a phone call away and they're pretty good.

If you are going to base your rim purchase on your Run Flat tires, your selection of rims gets trimmed down DRAMATICALLY.

So you'll have to decide if the Run Flats are complete necessary...

No problem with the links...I hope you find some good rims!

If it were my SC430, I would do the 20" HRE 543's (maybe 19") or 19" Kinesis K28's...either with a brushed/matte polished center with a high polish lip.

Classy and elegant.
Old 04-10-01, 04:25 PM
Paul Hawker

Angry

Just so you guys know the Firestone run flats stink. They thunp badly for the first 100 yards after sitting, hunt like a druken dog on rain grooves, squeel like a pig when cornering, and my Run Flat error light has now come on twice with tires inflated to 33 lbs. In addition my OEM wheels all have some sort of defect causing bubbles to form on the covers. The car is a jewel, but the tires and wheels spoil the Lexus experience. The dealership says it will be months before the wheels can be replaced, and had no reply about what could be done for the tires. I can't believe they used Firestones with all the bad publicity about their tires. Anyone want to buy these off me contact me directly. If Lexus reads these posts "HELP".
Old 04-11-01, 01:21 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default Paul Hawker

Hi Paul,
I was unable to get your e-mail address as that functionality was disabled. I may be interested in your stock wheels/tires. I sent you a private message. Pls e-mail me at Thom.Chow@attws.com to discuss details.
thanx!