SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do they hold up in snow? :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 02:06 AM
extra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do they hold up in snow? :)

Hello all, don't mind the long post begging for info! I plan on getting an SC sometime in the next 6 months, i'm pretty dead set on this as my choice of next car, I love the look, my family has had awesome luck with our toyota products, and these cars look like they'd click well with me. I'm selling my 91' mr2 turbo (also have a 90 infiniti m30 that i'm selling, the two of these sold should raise me enough money fer an older model sc)... anyhow, I live in Juneau Alaska, and I spend the winter driving in mucky slick gunk. Its not particularly cold, just crappy weather My mr2 does absolutely TERRIBLE in the ice, enough that i wont even drive it, the infiniti does okay but its not really my type of car...

So i'm wondering how do the sc300/400's perform (with or without traction control) in snow and ice? Are they pretty driveable, does the traction control help a lot, and should i make sure i get one with that option when my cars eventually sell? If i'd need studded tires, that wouldn't be a problem, as long as they do okay with them heh...

Also, is there any particular rust problems on these cars? It's very rainy here, and it will of course be driven every day, rain or shine (sunroof leaking issues maybe?) (Don't worry, it'll be stored in a covered area it wont sit in the rain all the time hah) I take good care of what I have, as i dont have much $, I'm not very mechanically oriented but I always keep the fluids changed, belts tight, etc...

I'm a university student and only work part time, for crappy pay, at the university, so I don't anticipate doint much performance modding on the car that I eventually buy, perhaps a chip and intake eventaully, but that's not really a big deal to me However I am curious as to the quality of the stereo, and ease of replacing the components etc...Ideally, unless the stock stuff is really good (i have no idea how good the premium and nak stuff is compared to inexpensive aftermarket stuff, am hoping some of you can fill me in, and yes i did use search!) I'd like to replace the speakers with infiniti reference component stuff (its my personal preference, dont flame me if you think they suck and i need something expensive, i'm a broke college guy) and put in a deck with mp3 playing support. Do both the sound system options have a stock subwoofer? If so could one re-use the amp (and maybe the speaker) with an aftermarket stereo? Again, I have never owned anything as nice as a lexus so maybe their stock system is good enough to keep! Thanks all, and sorry for all the questions, wish me luck in selling my cars so I can get an sc
Old 02-10-04, 06:28 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome aboard.

they suck in snow with or without traction. Do a search on snow, and you will come across plenty of threads.
Old 02-10-04, 06:50 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gazi is right, the SC is not built for snow and you are going to hear this from many people on this board. Personally though, I've driven the SC in three major snowstorms, all with accumulations of 12" or more. I've never been stuck but I'm not going to lie and say it was easy though. Driving the car in that kind of snow is a chore and your inputs have to be slow and precise. It doesn't help that I'm using hi-perf all season tires either. If you plan on driving the SC in the snow get a set of dedicated snow tires. The SC will never be a good car for the snow, probably just marginal at best. Hope this helps.

Check out my thread here about winter driving in the SC - SC in the snow
Old 02-11-04, 10:34 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the system goes I have no complaints, for a stock system it bumps great and it is very good quality. It is in no way comparable to a Honda or Toyota’s stock system it is much better in my opinion. I have had the stock system bumpin everyday at almost full blast for a few years now and I have not had anything blow on me. “Knock on wood”
Just my 2 cents

Tommy
Old 02-11-04, 11:52 PM
extra
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the replies I read the threads on snow dont worry, I did do a search, but none of the people had really commented in too much detail how they did with sandbags and studded tires...but thats okay NOTHING is worse than an mr2 in snow....i promise ya that...I used to have an '88 mr2, and that was even worse than my 91 (course the 91 practically has slicks on it right now too) and i've never gotten into a wreck driving in snow with either one, and thats w/o snow tires, so i shuld be alright.

Good to hear that the sound system is pretty dang good stock, thats definately a plus...Just got some $ in the mail today, going to put my cars in the paper for sale tommorow, and i *just* got enough airline miles for a free flight to anywhere, so hopefully in a month or two i'll have an sc ;0
Old 02-12-04, 01:03 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Sound system = bangin'! I replaced all of my stuff, but the stock setup is deffinately top notch, esp. when considering my car is 11 yrs old now.

As far as snow driving, I don't know a whole lot. I'd say anything with over 100rwhp and NO 4WD is gonna suck on icey/snowy streets. I had an old Jeep Cherokee with 4WD and it rocked on ice ('cept the brakes). For snow, go with 4WD. If you have never driven one, you will LOVE IT!! (I still miss it... )

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-12-04 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-12-04, 10:04 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

I love socal.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 02-12-04 at 10:04 AM.