SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How much is my 1992 SC300 5 speed worth???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 06:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

^ I didn't say the valve cover is more significant. I'm talking about general buyer perception. You're talking about enthusiasts with a specific knowledge of the SC. That's a very small group of prospective buyers to hope one comes calling.

I don't think the rust is worth repairing to help the sale. It's unlikely you'll recover your investment on that. Let the next owner decide how important it is to them. It's like spending $500 on new tires and getting the same offers as on bald tread, or adding $40 of gas, because that's just not what the average buyer factors into the car's value. Focus on the things that will make them think twice about the car, like tattered leather seats and steering wheels, in many cases.
Old 01-24-17, 06:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
^ I didn't say the valve cover is more significant. I'm talking about general buyer perception. You're talking about enthusiasts with a specific knowledge of the SC. That's a very small group of prospective buyers to hope one comes calling.

I don't think the rust is worth repairing to help the sale. It's unlikely you'll recover your investment on that. Let the next owner decide how important it is to them. It's like spending $500 on new tires and getting the same offers as on bald tread, or adding $40 of gas, because that's just not what the average buyer factors into the car's value. Focus on the things that will make them think twice about the car, like tattered leather seats and steering wheels, in many cases.

I definitely agree with you on that.

This car is EXTREMELY clean, I mean look at the pictures. That is clearly " top 5% clean". Most SCs of that age or even much newer are not going to be half this pristine and cared for.

If I was a buyer for this car, I would much rather purchase it the way it sits now and know exactly what I am getting than if you repaired the rust and repainted the roof or more of the car. Next thing you know you have mismatching paint (especially a big issue on pearl white cars which are super difficult to paint match) and that might scare some buyers off.

Keep it the way it is. But whoever buys it should fix the rust immediately. The sooner the better.
Old 01-24-17, 06:42 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I actually think the valve cover gasket will deter people more than the windshield header rust. People more or less expect used cars to have some rust. Engine stuff, no matter how minor, is a good way to scare them off.
Will have to disagree with you there. Remember, the SC300 5spd is a niche car...potential buyers of this car would much rather fix a valve cover gasket than rust.

Edit: I did not see your post on page 2. And agreed.
Old 01-24-17, 07:15 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Unless your buying a miata with a swaped engine or turbo i think your going to be disappointed in 6 months. They are cute fun but under powered in my opinion.

I think your car is worth close to 6-7k as is. The interior is in really good condition and like t2d2 says i'd fix the little things that are just a few hours after work have a beer and gain some value in your investment.

Last edited by scsexy; 01-24-17 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 08:33 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing you have going against you as others have mentioned is the rust, and its unknown how extensive it's gone. I'm familiar with the sc3/400 (have owned 3) and thats one of the first things I inspect when checking out a SC/GS. Very common problem for owners who have had a windshield replaced.

I'm currently looking for a clean low mile sc300, 5 speed, willing to travel! Yours would be ideal except for the rust issue. And honestly I'm holding our for a black ext. 95-97 sc300 as my previous ones where all white.

As for the other issues you have thats a given when shopping for a +20 year car and not all of a hassle to replace/fix yourself. If I were you I would use a dremmel tool with an abrasive bit, sand/grind out the rust, treat metal, prime/fill, and have a paint shop blend it into the roof.

As is, a serious buyer, I would consider it $4000-5000 depending on extent of corrosion. From pics it looks very clean. glws
Old 01-25-17, 01:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I'm not fixing the rust, I figure it would be better to be up front with the buyer about this. Also I don't know a good body shop and really don't want to deal with it, because knowing my luck, it will come back not meeting my standards.

As for the valve cover gasket, I got to looking a bit more and I think the distributor is leaking oil as well. Talked to my mechanic, bill for new valve cover, new distributor o-ring and spark plugs would be $143 parts, $380 labor, $592.42 total with tax.

Mechanic said the distributor could be the o-ring or the distributor itself leaking oil. Said when the distributors get old/miles on them that they internal seals can fail and leak oil. This doesn't sound right to me, as I've never heard of that issue with the 2JZ, just that its the gasket where the distributor goes into the block.

Anyways, I know there is a writeup on how to fix the valve cover gasket, it isn't hard since you don't have to stand on your head and everything has pretty good access. Just a lot of crap to remove and it takes some time. I might try and fix it myself.

As for the distributor o-ring, how hard is that to fix???

Hell I might just rent a steam cleaner. Can't tell if its leaking if I clean everything lol.
Old 01-25-17, 02:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hell I might just rent a steam cleaner. Can't tell if its leaking if I clean everything lol.
Good one.

Truly wish I could pick up this car...it is phenomenally gorgeous.
Old 01-25-17, 03:06 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

The car looks very clean both in and out . Sell it as is if you are truly decided to sell it. Don't waste your time doing all that work. It is well worth the $5k you are asking for. Just be upfront and tell the prospective buyers what you know about the car. ThomasGS4 said it right . It is a niche. One who will buy the car is more likely an avid SC300 fan with plans rather than an ordinary person just looking for a transportation. With $5k , one who just wants a vehicle can get a newer , better looking, and less to maintain car than an SC . The potential buyer I would assume would have done his research. It is a 25 year old car that would need some maintenance work. Besides , sooner or later it will have to go through timing belt replacement and other maintenance so those gaskets and other stuff can all be done.

Hard to see in person how bad or how big the bubbles are on that paint and if there are rust under it. That will be the biggest factor I believe. But your car is well worth at least what you are asking for.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-25-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 03:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Other than it having a top shelf drinking problem(loves the premium gas), this car has been dirt cheap for me to own from a repairs/maintenance perspective. Replaced the clutch hydraulics, recharged the a/c with R134a, replaced the door speakers, one driver's side window regulator, changed the coolant, trasmission oil, and rear gear oil and that's been it. Not bad for being that old and putting almost 40k miles on it. Other than the gas mileage I don't think I could've bought a cheaper car to own for the past 4 years.
Old 01-25-17, 09:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Default So what are the most active Supra forums????

Sorry if this question has already been asked. Just looking for another avenue to advertise my nice 1992 SC300 5 speed manual (97k miles) that I'm selling. My thoughts are if somebody wants to do a big 2JZ turbo build, my car is a MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper way to start than buying a Mark IV Supra, which have just gone through the roof in value over the past few years. IE somebody with a $30,000 budget is going to get an okay stockish twin turbo Supra, or they can buy my car for about $6500 and have the rest of the $$$$ to spend on their 900whp build.
Old 01-25-17, 10:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

IMO you'll get the most traffic posting on the FB SC group or even asking some of the soarer/SC groups on IG to post your sale.
Old 01-26-17, 03:43 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Sorry if this question has already been asked. Just looking for another avenue to advertise my nice 1992 SC300 5 speed manual (97k miles) that I'm selling. My thoughts are if somebody wants to do a big 2JZ turbo build, my car is a MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper way to start than buying a Mark IV Supra, which have just gone through the roof in value over the past few years. IE somebody with a $30,000 budget is going to get an okay stockish twin turbo Supra, or they can buy my car for about $6500 and have the rest of the $$$$ to spend on their 900whp build.
One who knows the market and both cars , has that kind of money will choose a MKIV before a built SC. Those cars simply have a world of their own right now... that prestige of having one. How many 1000rwhp SCs owners have we seen , who have invested +$40k on their cars, had to part them out just to get back some of the thousands of dollars they put into them cause nobody will buy them ? SCs above $15k regardless of what kind of build they have are very hard to sell ... hard enough selling a $10k SC that already has a stock 2JZGTE / R154 swap.

You have to take note that one building a 900rwhp SC300 will only use the body and interior of your car. Engine and Transmission / drive train has to go. It won't serve any purpose in a 900rwhp build . So to spend $6500 on a body and interior , I doubt someone is willing to do it not unless it is the best shell / interior you will ever find like a rare 1997 SC300 5 speed shell with immaculate paint , interior and others . Still even that , I really doubt.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-17 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 08:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

gerrb I agree and disagree. I'd rather spend $6500 on a super clean body car like that than to invest thousands of dollars and countless hours finding replacement interior and exterior parts just to piece something like this together. Then you have all the labor hours to swap interiors, do bodywork, fix rust, fix dents, etc. And the odds of finding clean parts like this car are going to be next to impossible. Sht, a good paintjob is gonna cost you $6500 in my neck of the woods, so for me paying $6500 for the whole thing is a no brainer.

All the SC around my town are in complete garbage condition. To see a clean one is like finding a $100 bill on the ground. When does that ever happen? I can count and remember the few times I have seen immaculate cars here because it's so rare. And all the clean ones are owned by older people who take complete care of them and are usually not interested in selling them.

My friend is a perfect example. Bought a POS 1992 SC300 with 129k miles for $2200 about 4 years back. Can't tell you how much money he has dumped into making that car somewhat tolerable to look at. The way it sits now he's got WAY more than $6500 into it and the interior is still in complete crap condition, underbody is ROTTED (original Illinois car), I am talking so rotted his rear subframe cracked and caved in because of holes in the metal, rotted brake lines and fuel lines, needed full replacement. Quarter panels are rotting badly from the inside, several body panels aren't even from his car and judging by the gaps indicates that severe accident damage was present. And to top it off he's got a Macco paintjob done by the previous owner that looks like complete doo doo and is either fading, peeling, or rusting in more spots than I can remember. His car is automatic and the PO pretty much did zero maintenance on it mechanically, etc. Every seal is leaking on it, PS pump, high pressure line, rack, water pump, valve covers, oil pan, etc. engine bay looks like a big pile of sludge. Original timing belt (Yeah..... i am not kidding, I looked at it and could not believe it's still going).

$6500 and $2200 is not that much of a difference. We are not talking $20k difference here.

I've seen SCs ten time worse than this sell for $6500 or more.
Old 01-28-17, 03:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Dmitry , I don't disagree that the OP's car is in great shape aside maybe from that rusts along the windshield. In fact as I have said , as is , he would get what he wants for it if he is not in a hurry. I guess you guys don't see a lot of good cheap SCs up there.

I agree if one buys a piece of sh?t for $2200 , he will end up having more than $6500 just to put it in the condition the OP's car is in plus the amount of time he will waste restoring it. Again , this just tells me we are lucky here and you guys better learn how to search for good SCs not only in your place but around the country. They still exist.

Just yesterday afternoon , a local forum member came to my place telling me he will sell his SC400 with 90k miles for $3k and wanted my help in his build for a boosted SC300. I started scratching and shaking my head and asked him why only $3k since it is as immaculate as a car can get or his other option was to convert it to a 2JZ . He said , he had it for a year and he paid less than $3.5K to a guy from AL so he was ok with that price and he had been selling it for quite a while and still no one wants to pay that $3k . I don't mean to put OP's car in bad light but since we are talking about a good platform to start with for a 900rwhp boosted car , I can put the OP's car beside's ****'s car and I will almost guarantee you , anyone in his right mind if he is just looking for a good shell with a good paint job, good interior, good wheels , good suspension,..just an almost immaculate looking car all around ... one will choose ****'s car having seen the pictures of the OP's car. And we are not even comparing the $3k and $6.5k costs. I wished I took pictures yesterday . But he is suppose to come back today and I will snap some and I will let you guys be the judge . For those who know this kid around here , pretty sure they know this car and its condition .

I just do hope I was able to convince **** to leave his damn SC400 alone. In fact I told him if truly he is decided to sell , bring it back to me . Even if I don't want the SC400s nor do I need any other car or even an SC for that matter , I am gonna buy it from him just because of its present condition. I guess if I am not keeping it, I can sell it to the guys up in the midwest for $6k so they can have an immaculate shell for a boosted car project , hahaha , if truly one is willing to pay that much.

What I am trying to say is if you just want a good shell , you don't have to spend $6.5k. Dang you will find one if you do your homework well. But to start with a POS for $2200 , one surely didn't do his research well and there is nobody to blame but himself. There is a reason why our cars are not selling as good as what we want. It is because people know , if they do their research well or wait a while , they will find one in a good shape for a good price.

I got my Black Pearl shell , a rare 1997 SC300 original 5 speed with immaculate paint , black interior , with coilovers , with TT LSD diff , with 18x11 / 18x9.5 Forgestar F14 wheels with Toyo R888 tires for $3k here in the South East. It even had an NA-T engine with cams and also came with extra TT MKIV wheels with new M/T drag tires. And the car was on the ads here on clublexus for a while advertised by the two previous owners . And at $3k people where still low balling the last owner . Re-read for a moment all what I just listed that came with the $3k for sale ad.... and people were still not willing to pay $3k for them ? It is a clear example that some SC owners or wanna be SC owners are not willing to pay even if what is being sold is well worth it. Even if I already had 3 SCs then, the moment I saw the ad here , I sent the owner a deposit. For those who are local knows , for $1k each , I got two 1997 SC300 original 5 speeds lately... one which is wrecked but salvageable and another one owner in immaculate condition black on black but not running. Good SC shells with bargain prices do exists .. just got to do your homework.

Buying a POS then restoring it is definitely different (something I won't even recommend not unless you know what you are doing , know where and how to get things for free and enjoy doing it ) from looking for and buying one already in good shape for a good price.

Again , surely one will eventually grab OP's car . Not all buyers are bargain hunters or are willing to wait for the best deal like me . I repeat it is in pretty good shape just judging by the pictures.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-28-17 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-28-17, 08:41 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

gerrb, good points made. It would be wise to find even a beat up SC from down south than a car that's been in the north its whole life. I can always have a car repainted by a good shop, but when you throw in TONS of rust and corrosion into the mix, the entire equation gets MUCH messier, much more time consuming and costlier. The OP's car looks like its all original and if that's the case, it makes it even more desireable. There are way too many SCs here that have been wrecked and had shotty bodywork done. To find a straight, unpainted one like this is not easy.

Unfortunately, 9/10 SCs are all local cars. You sometimes see a southern car pop up, but more than likely it's going to be either neglected or riced out or just plain beat up.

Can you post a picture of ***** car. I'd like to compare it to the pictures OP posted just to be fair since we are kinda nit picking here!

Quick Reply: How much is my 1992 SC300 5 speed worth???