SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How much is my 1992 SC300 5 speed worth???

Old 01-23-17, 03:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default How much is my 1992 SC300 5 speed worth???

Looking to sell, need an idea on what my unicorn car is worth. As stated, 1992 SC300, factory 5 speed, pearl white, tan leather.

97,000 original miles
Fully documented service history, big folder with receipts. Timing belt done in 2010 at 58k miles.
Original paint, never been in an accident, looks great.
Original interior in mint shape. Leather is soft/supple, no stains, no rips, all the dash lights/gauges/displays work.
Upgraded wheels/tires with NEW tires at all 4 corners.
Runs like a new car, drives real tight, no weird noises, cold a/c, hot heat

Now for the bad:
Slight leak on the valve cover. Does not drip oil on the manifold and does not give that stinky burning oil smell
Power antenna is broke, still get reception of radio stations though
Typical crack on center dash vent
Rear view mirror only works in "night" mode, never bothered me.
Rock chip in windshield
Slight ding on pass rear quarter, slight ding on driver's side rocker, really have to look for them
Rock chip on driver's door, and a slight scratch on the nose near the L emblem, nothing that anybody would notice unless you really look for it.

Now for the bad part, there is some rust starting to form on the roof of the car at the top of the windshield. This car has never been driven in winter, crawl under it and its extremely clean. Not a rusty bolt to be found under the hood. The roof/windshield rust is due to a botched windshield replacement several years ago, I have the reciept for it. The windshield does not leak.

Take a look at the pictures I took today. Pardon the messy interior, I'm going to detail it on Wednesday when the weather warms up.

Due to the rust issue on the roof, I'm thinking $4900. Still not really sure how much that issue effects the value of the car, as I've gotten quotes of $800-$1800 to fix it.

Old 01-23-17, 03:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Also I found this 1997 SC300 5 speed on the Altanta craigslist. $8300, but looks to be immaculate. Its been on there for a month.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5933823919.html

I know craigslist is generally cheap skates looking for basic transportation and I haven't had luck selling nice cars on there. I'm thinking I might list it on ebay, as that does get you a national audience looking at your car. I'm open to any/all advice on how to sell this car. Do you think listing it on the Supra forums would be a good idea?
Old 01-23-17, 04:28 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its worth more then $4900, I say $8500 or more.
Old 01-23-17, 05:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Well I paid $9000 for it in 2012 with 60k miles on it. It didn't have that roof rust issue either when I bought it.
Old 01-23-17, 05:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

$50 for new valve cover gaskets and a replacement mirror should add a couple hundred in value, simply by eliminating points you'll get talked down on.

Why are you selling?
Old 01-23-17, 06:18 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

don't listen to Facebook groups, don't let them lowball you on value, it's very rare to own a manual sc and on top of that its low mileage and mod friendly obd1, just fix the little things. the interior is very nice and that's a big plus. if your going to sell it for 4900 I would just keep it and store it away, that's not much money

Last edited by mikef; 01-23-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 07:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Yeah it would be at least a couple hundred dollars to fix the valve cover gasket, I don't have time right now to wrench on it. The mirror, I'd think you'd have to get that through the Lexus dealer and they charge you an arm and a leg. It works fine in night mode, which is just a bit dimmer than day mode, so if its during the day it doesn't really matter.

I'm selling it to buy a Mazda Miata, I've been wanting one for like 10 years now lol. I've also told myself I'm going to do a turbo build on the SC300 for like the past two years and it hasn't happened. I've had fast cars before, but nothing that ever really handled.

And it seems like the consensus is its worth more than $4900. Seriously thinking about an ebay auction and just see what happens. Might wait a month or two for people to get their tax money back and for winter to be done up north.
Old 01-23-17, 08:44 PM
JasGS350
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope this helps....I purchased a 92 SC300 5spd, hardtop (no sunroof) and cloth interior for 5k with 190k. Runs like a champ!
Old 01-23-17, 08:45 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

If you don't have time to do it yourself, then yeah, labor for the valve cover gaskets would add up. Still, I would strongly suggest trying to clear an hour or two to do it, because that's the sort of thing that will scare off the average car buyer when you're asking a fairly premium price.

There's no reason to buy a new mirror. $30-40 will get you a perfectly good used one. Car sellers always say, "xxx works just fine because yyy," and no one ever buys it. I'd be pretty annoyed having a mirror that dim all the time.

Can't justify keeping both cars, or just lost interest in the SC? NA Miatas are so cheap now, you can skip a couple fancy meals and save up for one in no time.
Old 01-23-17, 08:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
If you don't have time to do it yourself, then yeah, labor for the valve cover gaskets would add up. Still, I would strongly suggest trying to clear an hour or two to do it, because that's the sort of thing that will scare off the average car buyer when you're asking a fairly premium price.

There's no reason to buy a new mirror. $30-40 will get you a perfectly good used one. Car sellers always say, "xxx works just fine because yyy," and no one ever buys it. I'd be pretty annoyed having a mirror that dim all the time.

Can't justify keeping both cars, or just lost interest in the SC? NA Miatas are so cheap now, you can skip a couple fancy meals and save up for one in no time.
Don't have the space for the SC, a Miata, and my Tacoma.
Old 01-24-17, 08:14 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best of luck setting a price and selling the car. She's a beauty, but justifying 3 cars is awfully hard.
Old 01-24-17, 09:02 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO I think if you address the gasket you should have no trouble selling it in the 5500-6000 price range. If you do not address the gasket then I think you will get low balled all day and find it hard to sell for a decent price. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-17, 04:20 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

The rust above the window is the real problem. You don't know how bad it is until you actually get into it. Pricing is a weird thing, I think it's a beautiful car, but it still has it's issues. $4900 seems right to me as it sits. Though if you do fix the problems you'll make back your investment. Fix the valves gaskets and try at $5200, fix the rust issue and try again at $7000.
Old 01-24-17, 04:58 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I actually think the valve cover gasket will deter people more than the windshield header rust. People more or less expect used cars to have some rust. Engine stuff, no matter how minor, is a good way to scare them off.
Old 01-24-17, 05:42 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I actually think the valve cover gasket will deter people more than the windshield header rust. People more or less expect used cars to have some rust. Engine stuff, no matter how minor, is a good way to scare them off.
Huh? No way man.... valve cover gaskets are expected to leak on these cars and all old 2jzs that were not replaced on time.... the rust on the other hand is what is not expected.

Every old "not cared for" 2jz that I've ever seen had leaky valve cover gaskets. I still remember when I got my car I took a weekend to replace all my valve cover gaskets, distributor o ring, spark plugs, etc. on the old GE motor. The rust on the other hand, like someone mentioned will require an expert repair, not something you do yourself on a weekend. I can totally see some bodyshops tell him that the entire roof and quarters need to be repainted to guarantee a great job and obviously the glass needs to be removed and rust treated and removed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much is my 1992 SC300 5 speed worth???