Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to make SC300 louder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 07:10 AM
CMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make SC300 louder?

I bought a SC300 back in February as my first car, and have read about people removing the catalytic converters and how that would make the check engine light come on and stay on, and was wondering what would be the best way to make it a bit louder. It's just too quiet in my opinion. Would I be better off just getting mufflers, cutting out the resonators, or both? I like the way it sounds from the back when outside the vehicle stock, but I would like it to be a little louder. Any input would be great, as I am still learning about this stuff and would like to start working on it. Thanks. I'll leave a picture of what my car looks like now.

Sorry if posted in wrong section, or if there are already a million posts like this. This is my first post here.

Old 09-17-16, 07:36 AM
yauny
Rookie

I don't kno where you live but removing the cats would make it louder and yes u will have a check engine light due to the o2 sensors. Removing the resonators will help and removing the mufflers will help. If u wanna get real fancy u could install a electric cut out. So u can drive with it closed and have normal exhaust sound or open it up and sound like it's straight piped. I've hallowed my cats and resonators on my 400 and it's pretty loud removing the mufflers makes it even louder but due to the way the pipes meet at the rear probably not a good idea to remove the mufflers. Welcome to the community hope to see some mods on ur 300
Old 09-17-16, 12:16 PM
ar3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check it out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/431267-sc-exhaust-thread.html

i just had resonators removed, custom catback.
Old 09-17-16, 02:23 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

I started a thread regarding just muffler deletes, check my profile to find it. There's helpful info and videos in that thread, and YouTube has shown some good ones this year also.
Old 09-17-16, 04:56 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 255 Posts

Depends on how loud you want to go and how much attention you want to bring upon yourself......

A simple "cat back" upgrade is all I did and keeps the exhaust system "legal" and did make it sound a lot better (but not so much to draw a crowd).

Name:  SC300196.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  184.7 KB
Name:  SC300199.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  192.4 KB
Old 09-17-16, 06:34 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

The thing most people do is delete the resonators on the y pipe and leave the mufflers. This is also 50 state legal. Most people like the sound and no one has ever gotten pulled over for this, even in states that love to give modded exhaust tickets.

If you want loud, try unbolting the mufflers and drive the car around and see if you like it. If you do, go to a muffler shop and have them make extended tips that bolt to the Y-pipe.

Both of those options are the cheapest and the most popular. The next step up from that is having a shop custom make a single exit for you. I guarantee you will like that.

Old 09-18-16, 12:19 AM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

I've heard that the best thing to do with our cars is to just remove the mufflers and leave everything else alone. I've seen a few videos on youtube and it did sound really good. I planned on doing it but it just kills me to mess with such a clean car. I would feel a lot better about it if I gained 20whp or something, but I think it's little to no gain. Just a lot of unwanted attention from people and police. I plan on just leaving mine alone until I get a NA-T kit, and that way I don't have to pay for exhaust work twice.

edit: 1997 beat me to it...

Last edited by oSUPRAo; 09-18-16 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 02:40 AM
CMG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
If you want loud, try unbolting the mufflers and drive the car around and see if you like it. If you do, go to a muffler shop and have them make extended tips that bolt to the Y-pipe.

Both of those options are the cheapest and the most popular. The next step up from that is having a shop custom make a single exit for you. I guarantee you will like that.
I'll try unbolting the mufflers in the morning, I have a sorta strict budget at the moment. Seems the most cost effective if it sounds good. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably try cutting out the resonators and replacing with a pipe.

Last edited by CMG; 09-18-16 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 05:44 AM
CMG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CMG
I'll try unbolting the mufflers in the morning, I have a sorta strict budget at the moment. Seems the most cost effective if it sounds good. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably try cutting out the resonators and replacing with a pipe.
Update: I went out to try to unbolt them, and one of the previous owners welded the bolts so even if you tried to can't take them off. So I guess I'll just go and get the resonators removed.
Old 10-01-16, 02:00 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

slap a Borola exhaust on there and it will be music to your ears.
Old 10-02-16, 07:49 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

What year is your car? If early enough it doesn't have a post cat O2 sensor. You can gut the pre-cat by cutting it open and gutting all the mesh and welding back up, then buy a $95 cat delete pipe to delete the other cat. Not friendly to the environment, but just saying it can be done and it won't flash a CEL.
Old 10-17-16, 12:51 AM
Markers
Driver School Candidate

trust me when i say this but if your 2jzge like me deleting the resonators does not do much of all for the sound of your car it will still sound quiet as hell i would suggest doing both if you want i could send you clips of resonator delete with stock mufflers and then resonator delete with out mufflers, my buddy runs gutted resonators with no mufflers on his gs300 sounds pretty good when ur on it