SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I think I post too many threads (and am starting to worry about my new SC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 12:03 AM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Ahhh, so you're the new SC in town. I've passed it a couple times on my bike. You like this car? Not good enough. You gotta love it, or sell it.
but they are too old and becoming too fragile for OCD youth to buy and enjoy. I don't think THIS Lexus is the right choice for you, but I do hope you'll hang in there through the issues that you experience and enjoy it.
Forward, sincere, and REAL response. (lil' savage too... ha.) I thank you for that. A lot. And that doctrine post is amazing, I'm finding it ringing true in just the few weeks I've had it. Though, please don't underestimate how I feel about this car or my intentions for it... If mpg's were my goal I would not have gotten it (I do not base my driving around that, I simply like knowing these sorts of things). Nobody buys a 25 year old 5-speed i6-powered coupe for it's reliability and efficiency... no, this is a car that is the culmination (thus far) of a long vehicular obsession and wanting to learn and experience all parts of that. Good and bad. I've been stockpiling tools for a long time in prep for whatever car came after the truck. This is not something I just hopped on because. There's so much that's gone into this.

I would hope I'm not going to be ostracized or looked down upon for seeking information on this amazing car or just wanting to go about this a good way. The few repairs I'm having done by others is my exception for me working on it, and there are several reasons that's the case.

I suppose this thread was my way of killing the last little bit of doubt I had about it... It's done a fine job of that, too. I thank you in particular for your excellent response. GREAT stuff. Some a little misconceived IMO, but... I get the point. So, maybe I'll see you around town sometime. Really looking forward to meeting others of your breed. Expect me to stick around and post (in a proper build thread, of course) about all that I'm doing with it. Yeah, I'm a bit new to it all. Just bear with me for a spell.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Chattanoah; 06-06-16 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 05:35 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If not for just recently wrecking mine, I would have sunk a ton into it. It is a blessing not to have it anymore to invest in it-because I would have. It was my third one and beautiful-I love these cars. But you'll have to start finding used parts to save money (that are as old as the car is) and nothing is gonna go wrong when and how you want it/same time. But the car will continue to drive for you despite all of its ailments

For example, I needed a main seal done and tie rods and was gonna do coils. And I had bent rims from a bad DC winter (roads) But I couldn't do the coils or anything else until I did the main seal because I'd have to tear everything else apart later TO GET BACK TO the main seal. Also needed a diff bushing and some other stuff.

Virtually anything on these cars can be done by you with some tools, jack stands, patience, info on this forum and another driver while you're working on it.

But just remember, you have to love these cars since you will get absolutely nothing but an emotional return on your investment. They are really old now and have a passionate but VERY limited following.
Old 06-06-16, 06:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Glad to hear you're planning on being an enthusiast instead of just an owner . Stockpile cash because what you don't use on repairs you'll use on mods once the bug bites. .

Originally Posted by Chattanoah
Forward, sincere, and REAL response. (lil' savage too... ha.) I thank you for that. A lot. And that doctrine post is amazing, I'm finding it ringing true in just the few weeks I've had it. Though, please don't underestimate how I feel about this car or my intentions for it... If mpg's were my goal I would not have gotten it (I do not base my driving around that, I simply like knowing these sorts of things). Nobody buys a 25 year old 5-speed i6-powered coupe for it's reliability and efficiency... no, this is a car that is the culmination (thus far) of a long vehicular obsession and wanting to learn and experience all parts of that. Good and bad. I've been stockpiling tools for a long time in prep for whatever car came after the truck. This is not something I just hopped on because. There's so much that's gone into this.

I would hope I'm not going to be ostracized or looked down upon for seeking information on this amazing car or just wanting to go about this a good way. The few repairs I'm having done by others is my exception for me working on it, and there are several reasons that's the case.

I suppose this thread was my way of killing the last little bit of doubt I had about it... It's done a fine job of that, too. I thank you in particular for your excellent response. GREAT stuff. Some a little misconceived IMO, but... I get the point. So, maybe I'll see you around town sometime. Really looking forward to meeting others of your breed. Expect me to stick around and post (in a proper build thread, of course) about all that I'm doing with it. Yeah, I'm a bit new to it all. Just bear with me for a spell.

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-16, 10:17 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you I would def take a look at the suspension. The LCA ball joints could go out at anytime if you start having trouble turning and your alignment tends to be off even after alignment. Make sure you go over your inner and outer tie rods as well. Last thing you need is a ball joint breaking like mine did. Then you're forced to get a tow trunk and forced to have to change out LCA which cost a pretty penny. When that time comes you actually will spend more because then you'll realize what if the other side goes out, and your mechanic suggest both sides be changed around the same time. Safety is a number one priority with old cars. You don't want to be driving and your car breaks on the highway.

Brakes should also be high on your list. Make sure you can stop well. Anything mechanical at least if it break you won't be spinning out in a ditch and your still on all 4 wheels instead of 3. I have a valve cover leak on my car and it's not a major issue unless you start driving pretty hard in the rev range a lot, then you'll have trouble. Issue is not the oil coming out, the issue is what could the oil do to your other parts? Well for one it can get onto your other parts of the car and start over heating wires and other parts such as the alternator and distributor. I believed it was part of the reason my alternator died. When I went to replace my alternator it was cover in gunk of oil. Let me tell you. Lots of things can go wrong. These cars are old, but dam are they amazing cars when they work right. Just take your time, and learn how to read manuals, watch lots of DIY tutorials and be patient and work hard. These type of cars are labor of love. If you don't love these cars then I think this is not the car you should keep. Here's quick resources that may come in handy. Good Luck!

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/file/f...SA-1995%29.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2JZ-GE Engine Mechanical.pdf (3.33 MB, 185 views)

Last edited by Brucelee28; 06-06-16 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 09:48 AM
70xsvn
Driver School Candidate

I agree with most everyone else here. and have a similar situation. Bought my 97 5spd for 3.5k knowing it needed a lot of love. I put a good amount of $ back into the car and couldn't and wouldn't have been able to without doing a lot of the work myself and with the help of a friend who is an incredibly good mechanic who can also weld and do wiring. Just my thoughts, it may not be best to continue if you're already having second thoughts, Best of luck to you.
Old 06-07-16, 09:23 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brucelee28
If I were you I would def take a look at the suspension. The LCA ball joints could go out at anytime if you start having trouble turning and your alignment tends to be off even after alignment. .......... Just take your time, and learn how to read manuals, watch lots of DIY tutorials and be patient and work hard. These type of cars are labor of love. If you don't love these cars then I think this is not the car you should keep. Here's quick resources that may come in handy. Good Luck!
Brakes are fabulous. Not sure about the ball joint or tie rods... but it did come with some tie rods so maybe I'll do that eventually. I absolutely love it even after only owning it for a few weeks. The bug seems to have bitten. Thank you!! Good post!

Originally Posted by 70xsvn
I agree with most everyone else here. and have a similar situation. Bought my 97 5spd for 3.5k knowing it needed a lot of love. I put a good amount of $ back into the car and couldn't and wouldn't have been able to without doing a lot of the work myself and with the help of a friend who is an incredibly good mechanic who can also weld and do wiring. Just my thoughts, it may not be best to continue if you're already having second thoughts, Best of luck to you.
I'm keeping it for sure. Good thoughts, thank you! It needs love but it's not far from being where it should. Going to be doing the rest of the work myself as far as I know. And hey, 97 5-speed? That's extra special.
Old 06-07-16, 09:31 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

To anyone else thinking about posting to support or scourge, I'm definitely keeping the car. Thanks all, looking forward to the future. I'll post a build thread after I deep clean, detail paint, and restore the headlights.