SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket head unit for '92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:57 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket head unit for '92 SC400

I want to replace the head unit on my SC400 using the OEM amp and speakers. Don't need anything fancy. Probably like navigation and blue tooth for an iPhone 6. I've looked at an Alpine unit (a lot of the reviews say the face screen is hard to read in the daylight). Also looked at a Pioneer which seemed to get good reviews all around. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what model would be a good choice? Cost is not really concern. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx
Old 04-06-16, 05:15 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gnguru, take a look at Pioneer, this is the best stero on the market and you won't be disappointed with it: http://www.carid.com/pioneer/double-...-sphda120.html
Old 04-06-16, 11:41 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

or install a tablet
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-install.html
Old 04-07-16, 12:38 AM
gnguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by carid
gnguru, take a look at Pioneer, this is the best stero on the market and you won't be disappointed with it: http://www.carid.com/pioneer/double-...-sphda120.html
carid - I think you're right. After reading all the reviews and checking everything out, I've decided to go with the Pioneer AVIC-6100NEX. I'm pretty sure this unit will make me happy. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-07-16, 12:42 AM
gnguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldManTan
Thanks for the tip but I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get a tablet correctly wired into my car!!
Old 04-07-16, 07:52 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The Pioneer line is a good choice. I went with the 2012 model X940 similar to the ones being sold now.

A few points that may still apply:

The internal amps may not be enough to power all of the speakers and the sub. I had to use an auxiliary amp hidden in the dash.

Most of our cars the telescoping antenna for radio reception are broken or been replaced with "stubs". Mine was still working, though, but the Pioneer would engage the antenna to rise with power turned on to the head unit. Since most of us are using streaming or playing from a chip the radio is infrequently used. I had the installer put a switch so that the antenna mast stays down and engaged only when an FM or AM station is needed (mainly for live sporting events).

Not sure about the model you will be going with, but mine had a "bypass" in the harness so the video in the DVD player still works when driving. I don't really use it, though, but it is convenient not to be suppressed.

One cool feature is the backup camera option. It is a hassle to run the cable but worth the expense. We went with the camera built into the license plate wrap.

Over all, these new head units give our cars that modern feel and extend the life of the cars.

Good luck with your install....... We like before, progress, and after pics!!!