Starting with a shell 1JZ project

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 10:45 AM
GOODBYENA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting with a shell 1JZ project

Hello all, I'm Mark.

I have been lurking for about 6 months and thought I would start a thread to more or less document the progress and ask questions.

A little about me I have been modding cars for about 10 years and have helped with motors swaps/ builds in others cars I'm not new to wrenching. I have completed my last project that was a 2001 Audi A4 BT build. The car has been running great with about 8k on it I have done everything from Rallyx to dyno days and road trips shes healthy. enough about that. Just a Few of the A4

this is how she rolls in the dirt or in winter for snow difting!

the normal

why Im here, I picked up a bare bones 1993 sc300 that is a caged shell that has nothing in it!
It was a drift car before I got it and has a welded diff and drift knuckles on it with a supra suspension, It also has breaks and tires and glass thats about it. It was race wired before and all that was removed before I got it. The frame is good no rust so it will make a good track car. Pics coming later.

EDIT here are a few she is a track car. I have been tapping off the inside to spray the cage so thats why thats there. I dont like the body kit but its whatever got this thing for $500 and the cage is worth 2x that amount anyway. good shell to start with.

I have been searching though the web looking at all the 1jz 2jz swaps into sc300 and 400, most that I have found come from a stock sc and the 1jz and trans are added the wiring is extended Mk3 drive shaft to make it work ect.
I have not started buying any parts yet because I want to this right from the start and not buy 2 or 3 different things only to use one ( I learned the hard way on the Audi, do it nice or do it twice !)

Goal make about 400whp (not looking for a dyno or 1/4mile queen) with a smaller turbo fast spool lots of TQ to spin the tires for drift.
My first questing would be stating with a blank sheet what do you guys recommend ?

For example ECU should I pull a junk yard one and make that work from a sc300 or gs 300 ? or do I just go straight to something like an AEM unit ?
next motor tans combo should I go for the buying the hole imported unit for 2k-3k or hunt forums and CL putting parts together ?

I'm not in a big rush and plain to come up with a parts list first then get all the money set on the side and make it happen so after I start I can finish it vs running out of cash and the projects sits for a year, whatever.
I'm going to keep searching and will update this with photos and info as I go.
Thank you for looking and any comments, I'm newer to the Toyota side of the car world but look forward to being in it !

EDIT will keep updating as I have time
SC swap parts list (run stock 1jz to start)

-1jzgte with r154 from importer + accessories $2,000 - $3,000 (this may include ECU and wire loom)
I would most likely even though its more work put the motor in stock and make sure all works then do Tbelt ect. Most of the sellers like this one www.rimsandthings.com only give 30 - 60 day warranty. They say the motors run but you never know.

-FMC $200
-3’’ exhaust $ custom $500
-Fuel pump do I need it for stock? I have a Walbro GSL392 255LPH left over from the Audi I think that will work (save $110)
-ECU junk yard $50 ( tuning I need to research that?) ($500)
-Motor mounts if needed (oem $100 )
-Supra TT throttle cable $???
-Supra Upper/lower radiator hoses $????

More parts coming
Interior to make it work LIST

-seats and belts 2 of each IDK $300 - $1500
- stearing wheel ill pull one from the yard of a IS300 $50
-gauges
-Speedo (maybe)
-Tac
-boost
-AFR
-oil pressure
-water temp
- oil temp
-maybe intake and exhaust temp
-car has a clutch peddle and the manual swap stuff done already just need to be sure nothing is missing.

More parts coming

and looking at this lextech.org

this from 2006 but looking through this alot too. www.clublexus

Last edited by GOODBYENA; 04-09-16 at 04:20 PM. Reason: updates/ progress
Old 04-05-16, 06:28 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome... Most motor sets you buy come with ECU that you can use. If your not looking for huge hp then you can get away with the stock 1j ecu along with 440cc injectors and something like a SAFC. I would also recommend swapping out the twin turbos while the motor is out the car and go to a single turbo. Its a pain in the *** to work on the twins while their in the car. Most places you buy the motor from will come with a 30-60 day start up warranty. I would recommend changing all gaskets while the motor is out as well. Gives you some type of peice of mind once the motor is in the car. theres a few places that sell Full gasket sets like drift motion. Im in the process of doing a 1j swap in my SC. If you want some type of ideas you can check my build out. link is in my sig. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-05-16, 08:01 PM
GOODBYENA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Welcome... Most motor sets you buy come with ECU that you can use. If your not looking for huge hp then you can get away with the stock 1j ecu along with 440cc injectors and something like a SAFC. I would also recommend swapping out the twin turbos while the motor is out the car and go to a single turbo. Its a pain in the *** to work on the twins while their in the car. Most places you buy the motor from will come with a 30-60 day start up warranty. I would recommend changing all gaskets while the motor is out as well. Gives you some type of peice of mind once the motor is in the car. theres a few places that sell Full gasket sets like drift motion. Im in the process of doing a 1j swap in my SC. If you want some type of ideas you can check my build out. link is in my sig. Good luck with your build.
Thanks for the welcome I checked out you build very nice thanks.
That was a Nice IS300 sucks to see that. looking at builds like yours and others on this forum are motivating so thanks !
Old 04-06-16, 03:41 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Driftmotion 57 trim kit for small fast spooling turbo. I have a bunch of stuff in my build thread also