SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I messed up pretty bad.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 12:45 PM
chirsdrich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I messed up pretty bad.

I have a 95 sc300 and I am disgraced to say that I have curbed it. Now I'm here to ask you guys for some help. After i curbed it, you can already guess that my steering is shoddy. I took a look at it and saw that my outer tie rod was pretty banged up so I fixed that but it didn't fix the issue. My car pulls hard to the right and to go straight i have to turn the steering wheel to the left about a quarter of a full turn. I am asking you guys what the problem might be because I'm new to the car scene and would like to have my car up and running like it should before winter. I can provide pictures if that will help any.
Old 11-24-15, 01:04 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tow it to a shop that can properly diagnose the problem. Let us know the results and we can assist you. There are plenty of suspension parts available to get you back on the road.
Old 11-24-15, 01:35 PM
chirsdrich
Driver School Candidate

i would love to have it professionally looked at, but i lack the funds to do so. this was the next best thing and im pretty desperate to get it fixed.
Old 11-24-15, 02:35 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most shops will look at the car for free. If it's pulling to one side you may simply need an alignment. Generally it's $100 around here for an alignment, but tell the shop your problem, and have them diagnose it. If they say it needs an alignment go for it. They won't charge you to diagnose it if you get the work done there.

EDIT: It sucks being strapped for cash, but I don't know anyone doing alignments at home on there own. If the front end needs any other suspension parts now would be a good time to do them, and then get the alignment done as it's recommended any time you mess with suspension components. If not just bite the bullet and get the alignment you'll feel better once it's fixed.

Last edited by Biddles; 11-24-15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 03:15 PM
chirsdrich
Driver School Candidate

Ive looked and called around for someone to check it and ive had no luck. I have a friend who works at a basic mechanic shop. He let me use his lift and he checked it himself but he was stumped like i was. And i forgot to add that on the side that hit the curb, the wheel bends outward almost like positive camber (not entirely sure if thats a thing haha).
Old 11-24-15, 03:42 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever suspension parts are replaced, an alignment is neccessary, especially if you replaced the outer tie rod. That very well could be causing your steering issues. If you have positive camber you may have damaged the upper control arm so thats something to look at and test as well. Good luck man, I know suspension issues can be very difficult to chase down.
Old 11-24-15, 03:46 PM
chirsdrich
Driver School Candidate

I know an alignment will have to be done anyway its just when i replaced the tie rod, i had absolutely no change whatsoever. Ill take a look at the control arms and have my uncle look at it since hes going to be in town for the holidays. Thanks!
Old 11-24-15, 03:48 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the car parked until you can afford an alignment.
Old 11-24-15, 09:31 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

If you drive it and have to fight to keep it straight you are eating up your tires. A bad alignment could tear through a brand new tire in under 100 miles. PARK IT.
Old 11-26-15, 07:27 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm with Chris on this, most shops will exaggerate in what actually damage and will try to charge you for the **** that irrelevant to the issues ppl have and will rob you out of your hard earned cash.
Alignment is a must after you install your tie rod end, I would also check sway bar links as well as your rims being bent and tires out of balance.

Jmo :\