SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Loud squeal rear driver side with video

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 08:49 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loud squeal rear driver side with video

So, my sc400 squeals really loud from the rear driver side, but I'm at a loss as to what to do because of the conditions it occurs in.

So when I turn it on I can reverse and drive away no sounds everything is fine. Only after driving maybe 10 miles or more, when I'm slowing down or going 30 mph or below, I get a really bad high pitched squeal with each rotation of the wheel, and then while reversing I'll get a really loud creak.

I'll let the car sit over night, wake up and everything is magically fine again...Please help, it's super embarrassing driving around a parking lot trying to find somewhere to park and then reversing...takes the luxury feeling out of the car.

Here are 2 videos of my car
While rolling:

You can hear the noise at:
00:45 - 00:48
00:54 - 00:58
1:10 - 1:18
Reversing :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5i...ew?usp=sharing

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 10-06-15, 08:15 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

whoa, that's pretty loud. lift the wheel off the ground and see if you can move it around like forward and back or side to side. just push against the top of the wheel, if it wobbles, it's a bad bearing. i had a similar noise but mine was more like on oscillation, but still would creak like that sometimes. if there's no wobble, take the wheel off, caliper, brake disc and see if any of the hand brake hardware is loose. there's been a few people, including me, whose hand brake hardware gave out or just wasn't assembled correctly by PO or a shop. one of my retaining clips on the springs gave out and everything went flying inside the hub, one of the springs was rubbing on the hub as it was spinning and made a loud screaching noise. wouldn't hurt to change diff oil as well.
Old 10-06-15, 12:30 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

I'll def check the hand break first, because when I put the hand break down I can hear a squeak, you can actually hear me putting it down in the video of me reversing, it gives an audible *squeak*,bad bearing was the first thing I suspected so, I'll also check the bearing again while I'm at it, but I'm still perplexed as to why the sound only starts happening after driving for a while. I was assuming breaks might be heating up and something starts rubbing, but I'm not sure at this point.
Old 10-06-15, 01:29 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume the hand brake as well. Isn't it a drum brake inside the rotor?
Old 10-06-15, 04:56 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Yea, the inside of the rotor essentially acts as a drum, and it has the classic drum break shoes. I'll check on my next day off from work which is Thursday and report back. Hopefully the problem is obvious and I don't have to do anymore looking after that. Handbrake holds firm when it's up btw.
Old 10-08-15, 10:07 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

I think I've narrowed it down to the bearing and was dreading it the entire time.
video:

Look at that play! Seems completely shot, so I'll be replacing real soon, does anyone know how much it costs to get a bearing pressed in? I know the bearing alone it going to be $50, not sure how much a shop will charge to get it pressed in. Let me know if you guys have spares or something that you're willing to throw my way

Something seems wrong with the handbrake too, check it out
Seems its like half engaging or something, barely moves when the handbrake is pulled
Old 10-09-15, 11:34 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

yep that bearing is dead, surprisingly, it will run for a while lol. mine was bad and started making quiet squeaks a year ago, i just replaced it this summer. but i replace the entire knuckle and halfshaft cz i no pay shops anything lol and i don't have a press. so easiest option for me was just taking the entire halfshaft and knuckle off a buddy's car that was parting it. that might be the easiest thing to do for you as well. your hand brake seems to be operating fine. put some grease on the springs and the cable. the cable rubs on the spring and causes it to squeak sometimes. you might wanna adjust your hand brake cable inside the car, doesn't look to be engaging it all the way.
Old 10-11-15, 05:42 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Alright, so car is finally fixed!

I took your advice Tan and went out and just bought a used knuckle from my local auto recycle place, the knuckle only costed $54 with all the hand break hard wear, hub, bearing, etc. Just need an alignment, and shes done.

Things I found while on the job were:

1. I was able to turn my Axle Nut (Torque 283 ft lb) BY HAND. I have no idea who the last person was to work on my car, but whoever it was, is a complete idiot.
2. The hand break assembly was the hardest part, the hand break cable it's self is sandwiched in some awkward location and is the biggest pain in the *** to get out, and then putting the assembly back onto the hub with all the springs reminds me why I will never work on drum breaks again.
3. In case anyone was wanting to tackle this job, pretty much all the bolts that connect the hub to the suspension arms are 3/4 and one is a 11/16

Good luck to anyone that attempts this job, you'll curse a lot, but it's doable.