SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 manual swap help with flywheel please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 02:40 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC400 manual swap help with flywheel please!

Hello, so I have a manual swapped lexus SC, I used the bret collins kit from his website; http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/

It is the kit which adapts the nissan KA24DE transmission to my 1UZFE V8, it uses a KA24DE adapter plate, nissan 280zx clutch disk, a MR2 TURBO pressure plate, and a modified 3sgte flywheel.

Okay my big problem now is that 6 months after my transmission swap the starter ring gear has been grinded down and my flywheel has been grinded down too, and the car wont start.

I measured grooves on the starter ring gear and its 10mm, while the distance between groves on my flywheel is 8 mm. I dont think they fit properly.

What kind of flywheel do I need to get which does not destroy my starter!?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-15, 03:08 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

"although the ring gear is the correct diameter and pitch for the V8 starter, the 3SGTE starter motor engages from the opposite side, hence you need to cut a bevel onto the front face of the ring gear. Failure to do so will result in the starter pinion not engaging correctly, and chewing out the ring gear. As crude as it sounds, carefully chamfering the face with a 1 mm cut off disc on an angle grinder works perfectly well. Use the V8 ring gear as a guide for how much to take off."

http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe_info.html

I found this on Lextreme, under the flywheels category I think this is my problem. But I dont quite understand what he means by "carefully chamfering the face with a 1 mm cut off disc on an angle grinder " Its a little confusing, can some1 explain?

I will put some pics of my flywheel and starter ring gears when I get home
Old 08-10-15, 03:50 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

That shows my orginal starter pinion gear, it has been destroyed.
I already have a replacement.

This is my flywheel, somewhat damaged.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-15, 09:07 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i used a flywheel from 1uzfeswapkit.com for my sc400.
Old 08-10-15, 10:40 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
i used a flywheel from 1uzfeswapkit.com for my sc400.
How long have you been using this flywheel? Have you noticed any problems at all with the starter? Thanks for the link, I will shoot them an email.
Old 08-11-15, 05:41 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs up

The first issue I see here is you are using a wrong flywheels that's not properly modified for this swap.
You need a 3vz flywheel from a v6 manual toyota truck. Then the back of that flywheel needs machined to shave off about 3/8" so it can get closer to the starter gear.
Your flywheel needs to be modified in the back to be closer to the starter gear.
Yoor starter gear not close enough or doesn't have enough bite to solidly grab and spin your flywheel ring gear, so that's why it's all chewed up
And I hope who ever sold you that kit did their homework on the ring gear placement on 3sgte fw
Attached Thumbnails SC400 manual swap help with flywheel please!-image.jpg  

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 08-11-15 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 05:59 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Pic of the flywheel
Attached Thumbnails SC400 manual swap help with flywheel please!-image.jpg  
Old 08-11-15, 09:34 AM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
The first issue I see here is you are using a wrong flywheels that's not properly modified for this swap.
You need a 3vz flywheel from a v6 manual toyota truck. Then the back of that flywheel needs machined to shave off about 3/8" so it can get closer to the starter gear.
Your flywheel needs to be modified in the back to be closer to the starter gear.
Yoor starter gear not close enough or doesn't have enough bite to solidly grab and spin your flywheel ring gear, so that's why it's all chewed up
And I hope who ever sold you that kit did their homework on the ring gear placement on 3sgte fw
So I guess you purchased a 3vz flywheel and had it machined? How much did this cost you, would it upset the balance of the flywheel? Also, would you have to re-drill the holes?
Old 08-11-15, 01:26 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Been using this kit for a while. I remember checking when installing the flywheel that the starter gears would engage fully with the flywheel gears.
Old 08-11-15, 02:49 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

I paid 180 to drill out holes, remove material from the back, balance
and another 40 to push the ring gear out and tigweld it.
Fw was 45$
Old 08-11-15, 03:11 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I paid 180 to drill out holes, remove material from the back, balance
and another 40 to push the ring gear out and tigweld it.
Fw was 45$
what do you mean by push the ring gear out and tigweld it?
Old 08-11-15, 05:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexxium, K7Q,
Do you guys have build threads on the KA swap? I impulse purchased a kit and I want to read about the swap.
Old 08-11-15, 05:39 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

I'm doing w58 swap, I've Looked at the 3sgte flywheels drilled out was a scary thing to me, and couldn't get the right ring gear Info, so I went with 3vz instead.
I don't have a build thread no, I'm more of hands on
Old 08-14-15, 12:17 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all your help guys, I used a LUK 3vz flywheel, shaved the back a bit and bored out the bolt holes, I also managed to use the bolts which came with it too, turns out 4 runner bolts fit fine if you shave 3.5 mm off the back of the flywheel.

That collins adapters guy really screwed me on the kit, next time I'll do more research rather then rely on somone who appears to know what theyre doing,

Thx for the help guys
Old 08-14-15, 01:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

3vz is the correct flywheel to start with the 3sgte flywheel the teeth are cut the wrong direction so it eats up the gears. an oversight from those kits that never got ironed out, wait the car starts with a 3sgte flywheel? good 'nuff i guess (not). cutting every tooth to work the opposite way from stock is just a bandaid solution when you can use the right flywheel from the start.

I'll share all that I learned on this topic from research and the 3vz and 5vz stuff I know first hand cause I had those parts at one point.
they do make actual 1uz flywheels these days though with a W series pressure plate pattern or actually its just the toyota "push" pattern on the flywheel.
the 3vz flywheel has the same pattern (push clutch), and it just so happens the 3sgte uses the same push pattern, and its exactly like a 2jzge pattern.

so pressure plates for the 3vz, 3sgte, 2jzge, are all interchangeable. the only difference is the power they are rated to hold.

just so happens the 3vz flywheel is the closest overall, in size etc.
a 5vz flywheel is just a larger version of a 3vz flywheel and the 5vz clutch is a little larger.

the only ones that get different pattern on the flywheel for the clutch cover or pressure plate are ones like the r154 that were "pull" style transmissions.
even though the 3vz came with a r150f, all R series boxes were actually push style with the exception of the turbo cars that got the special pull style r154 version.
you would think a r154 flywheel might be a good option but as you can see it has the wrong pattern on it for the clutch covers most people use.

so now you guys know why they choose the 3vz. starter gear is facing the right way, has the correct push pattern, is thick enough to work, and can be redrilled/slotted cause it has the right number of holes.

the 3sgte is a close competitor, but it requires alot of work and the starter gear thing alone makes it not worth it cause you can get a 3vz flywheel almost anywhere it was on like a million trucks that has the correct starter ring gear already.
the only complaint there is about 3vz flywheels it the weight cause it was designed for a truck, but you can get lighter weight ones there are many options but really its fine cause the v8 has much more power than the 3vz/5vz did anyways.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-22-19 at 12:08 PM.