SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

reinforcing rear seat belt buckle surrounds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 11:30 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default reinforcing rear seat belt buckle surrounds?

I've got an uncracked rear seat belt buckle assembly -- somewhat of a runner-up in the holy grail of SC car parts competition, behind the mythical uncracked center vent, no-bleed original HVAC LCD, unburnt gauge needles, etc. -- and would like to reinforce the back side grid to make it less likely to crack in the future. My current one has a moderate crack through one corner that I glued.

First of all, does anyone know if it's ABS plastic? The tests for determining types of plastic involve witch trials, apparently: burning and drowning. There aren't any markings other than right side and left side, plus a tiny "101" stamped on both.

If it's not ABS, I could probably use an epoxy to fill in the back side. If it is ABS, an ABS glue might work, although even that is hit or miss. (I just learned that you can make your own by dissolving ABS shavings in acetone.) Some people suggest covering the glue with fiberglass to reinforce the shape even if it's not truly bonded, but I'd be worried about anything rough and protruding on the back side tearing up the edges of the leather.

Are there any better methods of strengthening the plastic that others have come up with? The space doesn't seem conducive to foil tape or any other reinforced backing plate.

As a replacement instead of a reinforcement, this might also be a nice project for the 3D printing gurus. The plastic surrounds clip onto the buckles themselves, so it would be a pretty easy piece to replicate.