SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cluster Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 05:47 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwhite
Out of fairness to Lextech, I think we should post our likes or dislikes of their work on their website reveiws.
this has nothing to do with their job, this thread was made as a help me figure out how to recalibrate my speedometer to give me the correct speed. this was not a review of lextech or their work.
Old 11-08-13, 05:53 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Also you all must have missed my first post where i specifically stated

The GPS app matched my speedometer prior to me sending it out
The GPS app matched 3 other vehicles i tested it in 95 Sc400, 90 celica and 13 kia optima it matched perfectly
The GPS app does not match my speedometer now

Tested car to car
my car @60 other car is at 67 gps app also at 67
7mph difference

I dont care how much you go on and on about GPS is not the same speed car to car is not the same, the evidence is irrefutable

it MATCHED before, it Matched other cars, it does NOT match now. I mean am i alone in understanding this? how can you possibly explain the above and tell me that it doesnt matter and my speedometer is correct.

it matched and now it doesnt its as simple as that.
Old 11-08-13, 06:06 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not going to answer your questions, but I would like to know how much we could get new clusters from a Lexus dealer with a group buy?
Old 11-08-13, 06:20 PM
xshurikx
Driver

This is not going to answer your questions, but I would like to know how much we could get new clusters from a Lexus dealer with a group buy?
well used are 200 on ebay but thats not an option. i will call lexus and ask but then that means i threw out $200 for this build, which sucks i dont want to throw out $200. maybe i can get it recalibrated for a little more and be done.
Old 11-08-13, 07:35 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never look at my speed, i just tail gate lol
Old 11-10-13, 06:10 AM
xshurikx
Driver

So no one ever ran into this problem and has a fix? i am trying to avoid an additional shop cost but just might have to go that route
Old 11-10-13, 07:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

You don't have a problem why don't you understand that? Your speedo was WRONG from drifting a mph off over 20 yrs. It was reset to factory tolerance when built. Why you cant understand the GPS cannot read the same as the speedo as your tires wear down is beyond me but nobody is helping because everyone else GETS IT. You have to have 100% brand new stock wheels and tires, a brand new speed sensor and you are STILL going to have a 2mph tolerance drift from the factory between the GPS and the factory speedo. Nobody is answering because you are asking how to screw your cluster up and take it from factory specs. You are wrong. Nobody is going to teach you how to screw it up.
Old 11-10-13, 08:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys lets keep the focus of this thread on helping the op fix his issue.
Old 11-10-13, 10:13 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You don't have a problem why don't you understand that? Your speedo was WRONG from drifting a mph off over 20 yrs. It was reset to factory tolerance when built. Why you cant understand the GPS cannot read the same as the speedo as your tires wear down is beyond me but nobody is helping because everyone else GETS IT. You have to have 100% brand new stock wheels and tires, a brand new speed sensor and you are STILL going to have a 2mph tolerance drift from the factory between the GPS and the factory speedo. Nobody is answering because you are asking how to screw your cluster up and take it from factory specs. You are wrong. Nobody is going to teach you how to screw it up.
so then what is the best way to test it and make sure it is 100% accurate because i cant believe that, i need to be sure. what kind of shop would be able to determine this?

and you keep going back to 2mph and i am talking about 7mph. either way how do i verify this?
Old 11-10-13, 10:42 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I know I have not owned even close to the number of cars many of our members have, but in my experience I have seen a wide swing in MPH (or KPH), even 7-10 MPH, between two vehicles.

As I understand it, the LexTech service is focused on restoring the needles and back lighting so you can even see them in the first place - not sure how anyone could expect any service like this to calibrate the cluster back to the original vehicle/settings without them having the car to do that.

While there may be a shop in your area that could perform that task, in any case whatever they charge for that would NOT include the cost to replace/repair the needles and back lights. I don't even want to guess what a Lexus dealer would charge for either repair or replace of a cluster (if they are even available).

My 21+ year old cluster is still not in too bad a shape but the needles are starting to fade and I am glad that a service like LexTech exists to keep our cars going and plan to use them when the time comes.

Sorry that your cluster now is off so much but there are options none of which are free (it takes time or money or both).
Old 11-10-13, 11:08 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by Duck05
I know I have not owned even close to the number of cars many of our members have, but in my experience I have seen a wide swing in MPH (or KPH), even 7-10 MPH, between two vehicles.

As I understand it, the LexTech service is focused on restoring the needles and back lighting so you can even see them in the first place - not sure how anyone could expect any service like this to calibrate the cluster back to the original vehicle/settings without them having the car to do that.

While there may be a shop in your area that could perform that task, in any case whatever they charge for that would NOT include the cost to replace/repair the needles and back lights. I don't even want to guess what a Lexus dealer would charge for either repair or replace of a cluster (if they are even available).

My 21+ year old cluster is still not in too bad a shape but the needles are starting to fade and I am glad that a service like LexTech exists to keep our cars going and plan to use them when the time comes.

Sorry that your cluster now is off so much but there are options none of which are free (it takes time or money or both).
I hate to sound like an *** but how is anything you said helpfull.

people dont seem to get it, this is not a thread to review the work lextech did, this is a thread of me trying to find out how to make sure my speedo reads correctly. if it isnt off as OLT states then great if it is i need a fix.
Old 11-10-13, 02:31 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

When my speedo. was worked on it got damaged in return shipping. Yeah Im mad but that dosent help. What would help would be a new cluster or a really good used one. There is a shop that may be able to calibrate your speedo. try BBA.com
Old 11-10-13, 02:54 PM
Grobar
Driver School Candidate

Hey man, just wanna say I feel your pain. I agree with what OLT said to a point. He's been doing this **** for a long time so I doubt he's screwing people or doing it wrong. Having said that, I used Jason Tanin for my cluster and climate control and I have the same issues. Speedo reads lower the faster I go. Tech reads about 300 rpm higher and my temp gauge reads full two bars higher. Considering everything was fine before work was done I have a hard time blaming tires, rims, etc... If I move on to another SC I will have to think long and hard whether its worth it to pay upwards of $300 to fix everything when there's a high chance of **** not working right once it gets back to me. I hope you get it solved man. I've done a bunch of searching and nobody has come with a concrete answer.

For what its worth, I've done the GPS and comparing to other cars thing. Same as yours outcome.
Old 11-10-13, 03:24 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

must be nice to be 5yrs old again

i just swapped my cluster for another, my old ones circuit board is still good if anyones interested. you can try to use another to see if its a cluster issue.
Old 11-10-13, 06:42 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Out of fairness to Lextech, I think we should post our likes or dislikes of their work on their website reveiws.
I think that's a good idea, but would also hope LexTech does their best to make things right with this much difference. That sounds extreme to me as well. I don't usually worry that much about speed limits, but when I see a blue and white merging onto the road I do want to know how fast I'm actually going.

I wonder if pulling the needle off and moving it clockwise a hair might be the answer. Going too slow at 15mph isn't going to get you fined, lose you points, and cost money for insurance.

Is this an option? I read a post in the DIY sticky about adding a single LED to the end of needles to at least see something. It had cautions about carefully marking where the needle was, then putting it in the same place. Are the shafts splined, or can they be adjusted a little, in increments?
Isn't the point to get it right, and to work together to do it?

Last edited by hoosier58; 11-10-13 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Cluster Speedometer