SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

advice on how serious abs light, tracoff light, and airbag light are?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 07:47 PM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on how serious abs light, tracoff light, and airbag light are?

I recently bought my 92 sc300 with 266,000 on the body, and roughly 140,000 on the engine thats in it for 2300. The abs light, trac off light and airbag light are always on and am curious about how serious this is. the car runs great and i havent had any issues except for mysuspenion in the rear making a wierd squeek/ping noise when i go over a good bump. i appreciate any advice or input thanks
Old 03-13-13, 07:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

They're just teasing you.........
Old 03-13-13, 08:03 PM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Yeah lol i dont think they effect anything, not that i can tell anyways lol
Old 03-13-13, 08:12 PM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Is that a good price for the car though?
Old 03-13-13, 08:31 PM
durps
Lead Lap

I wouldnt say good or bad price. If the exterior is nice then it makes it worth it, but if the exterior and interior are below average then I would say bad price.
Old 03-13-13, 09:05 PM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the interior is almost perfect except for the drivers door panel by the switches, and the drivers seat is pretty worn, other than that its solid. squeeky in the rear when i go over a bump and i notice it sometimes while taking corners aggressive.. but only after i went and got my tires changed so i have no idea what it could be
Old 03-13-13, 11:10 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, when there is a fault in the air bags or anti-lock brakes, they will NOT work. In other words, when you crash, your air bags may not deploy but I do not know for a fact. However, the anti-lock brakes will not kick in, at least for the truck I drove for a while acted as such. ABS light on, no ABS...

For ABS, on a wet road, slam the brakes. If your wheels lock up, ABS isn't working. If it is, you'll feel your car at least slowing down and also you would feel the brake pedal vibrate rapidly.

Air bags.... well..... crash it.... lol

For the sound in the rear, it could be strut mounts or a bushing somewhere.
Old 03-14-13, 06:03 AM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

I drive the car everyday and the abs are definatly working cause ive had to slam on the brakes a few times and didnt lock em up, but there was an engine swap done to the car so maybe they didnt reset the codes or someting. but how much is a tranny swap??
Old 03-14-13, 08:22 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

if my tracoff and check engine lights are off the car runs like crap, but since they are almost always on the car runs fine most times
Old 03-14-13, 08:29 AM
tbulsara
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually when its a combo of lights, its another problem, recently in my RX i had all three lights on, turned out to be a little switch behind the brake paddle that was bad.
Old 03-15-13, 11:06 AM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Nice well maybe thats the issue then, cause all three are on and she still gets up and goes and still gets sideways pretty good for being an automatic and no posi trac lol
Old 03-15-13, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

not locking up the brakes doesn't mean your abs is working, only if you hear and feel the rapid pumping by the abs system, and that usually happens immediately after it locks a tiny bit, so you may not have lost traction to kick in the abs, Its not supossed to work when the light is on.

you can also pull the codes for all of these lights. the trac light will blink independently telling you the trac code stored. the trac system has its own faults, and sometimes the abs will be related to whatever the trac problem is. on 1 SC I had which had lots of issues the trac tps needed adjustment, and it would light all the lights up. basically when the car starts the ecu tests the trac throttle body to make sure its working (as in it can close the throttle when it needs to), and if the tps doesn't confirm that this is happening or is out of range, the ecu assumes something is wrong and shuts down all your trac and other stuff. there are other problems that can disable the trac also not just the 2nd tps. also make sure no one pulled the relays for these 2 systems, they are in the black box by the brake booster. start by pulling the codes or you will never figure it out.

The airbag light is completely seperate, most likely, someone turned the key on with one of them disconnected and never bothered to reset it, as it can be a bit tricky. unless you are missing an airbag, you should generally be able to reset that light, and you should if you want your airbags to work.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-15-13 at 12:33 PM.