SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

VIP Style WoodGrain Floormats----What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-12, 01:44 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is indeed a great idea for the VIP look. Although not my cup of tea. I think it could be pulled off especially if the entire car justifies the look. I say continue your passion on what you think looks good. Thats all that matters. Keep us posted and good luck with alot of pictures. Some of us cant justify spending 13k on a 1JZ swap either but I did in its entirety. ..
Old 12-23-12, 08:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

thanks for the words of encouragement man^^^

unfortunately I really hated the way it looked in the car so i scrapped the project, im looking into buying a new set of sc430 mats and modifying them to fit.

thanks
Old 12-23-12, 08:39 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a fully VIP GS or LS could pull them off for sure. Just doesn't really go with an SC though which is a sports coupe.
Old 12-23-12, 09:19 PM
tientony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think with a little tweak it would look great like maybe trying to match the wood with the center console would be awesome. your making me wanna do this to mine hmm....
Old 12-23-12, 09:49 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Just buy some JP mats and call it a day LOL..
Old 12-23-12, 10:01 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

in order for these to work the dimensions need to be scaled back a bit. think about it the wood is commonly used as flooring in an entire room, much bigger than a single floormat. I think that if in both projects that the planks were cut narrower the look may have been pulled off a little better.

but yes i would have to agree you can really VIP a coupe if you actually are staying true to the culture/scene.
Old 12-23-12, 10:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
I think a fully VIP GS or LS could pull them off for sure. Just doesn't really go with an SC though which is a sports coupe.
caltri that was the main problem, the first mock up was really a turn off , it just didnt flow at all man , i was really pumped up about this but ...it just didnt match the theme i currently have.

Originally Posted by tientony
i think with a little tweak it would look great like maybe trying to match the wood with the center console would be awesome. your making me wanna do this to mine hmm....
yea tientony, i was going to match the finish to the rest of my wood grain, add a nice trim and a few other things, im sure the mat itself would of looked really cool,,but to get it to match my tan interior was the problem, but hey man give it a try ,,,you got one of the nicest exteriors on this forum, why not spruce up the interior a bit as well.

Originally Posted by horent135
Just buy some JP mats and call it a day LOL..
lol yea man that sounds like a good idea right about now

Originally Posted by sr71b
in order for these to work the dimensions need to be scaled back a bit. think about it the wood is commonly used as flooring in an entire room, much bigger than a single floormat. I think that if in both projects that the planks were cut narrower the look may have been pulled off a little better.

but yes i would have to agree you can really VIP a coupe if you actually are staying true to the culture/scene.
your right about that ,,first i cut a perfect cut out of the oem mat but then realized it would be better to shave it down ,,which i did I scaled it down by almost 20% or so,which helped. if i do this again i might even scale it down more and make a hybrid mat of woodgrain and carpet or woodgrain and rubber or a combination of both.

i had tons of cool ideas on this i was really pumped about it ,,but some things aqrent meant to be i guess.
Old 12-23-12, 10:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

if im going to try again its going to be more like this . the wood grain will look better scaled way down ,,and im thinking of a border of polished metal , with a rubber trim around that, and then using a dremel to imbed a lexus symbol,,,its time consuming but if done right would be well worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails VIP Style WoodGrain Floormats----What do you guys think?-new-floor.png  
Old 12-23-12, 11:05 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

trying WAY too hard. not my cup of tea at all.
Old 12-24-12, 08:24 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's not woodgrain per say, what you have looks like hardwood floors in a house or apartment.
Old 12-24-12, 09:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

yea i guess, the only other option is to use a solid piece of wood or vineer, I think that would look even worse.
Old 12-24-12, 09:42 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the material they use for those wood dash kits?
Old 12-24-12, 09:53 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

yea our OEM wood is a vineer,,,it wouldnt be hard to have the same kind of wood vineer pressed onto pressboard and then stain it to a very close match, but for me though im pretty much done with the whole idea for now, I might revisit it once the rest of my interior is complete.

Im looking into just buying a good quality rug mat for now but so far had no luck.

I looked into junction produce but was only able to find black ones , I really like the colors and style of the sc430 matts but they wont fit without some custum fitting.

if anyone knows where i can find some nice matts id love to hear about it.
Old 12-24-12, 12:18 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

just take a table top from ikea and cut it into fourths
Old 12-24-12, 12:24 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

+1 for being unique.. man id hate to get a splinter in my foot while driving or just riding in my car lol

Quick Reply: VIP Style WoodGrain Floormats----What do you guys think?