SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drive By Wire???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 03:02 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive By Wire???

Im sure its possible, but has anyone ever done a drive by wire (DBW) system on an SC? Im sure its more difficult than its worth but Im always up for new challenges. I absolutely love the throttle response from dbw throttle bodies. Even after all the throttle cable tightening I've done, my throttle response still feels sluggish.

Meh, anyways... just a random thought I had.
Old 01-31-12, 04:09 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Ok, raise your hand if you dont know what drive by wire means

It just occurred to me that a lot of you might not know what it means.
Old 01-31-12, 04:17 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-31-12, 04:30 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an interesting thought since everyone that uses their car for anything beyond just daily driving wished they could ditch DBW.

The lag in opening, the lag in closing, the bizarre non-linear opening curve, difficulty with tuning. There isn't much to like about them for most people.

Many standalones would be able to handle the task but I doubt many have tried to convert cable > DBW.

If throttle response in desired, try a larger TB or go nuts and do ITBs
Old 01-31-12, 06:58 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peelsSC300
Ok, drive by wire is basicly a lack of a physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body. In our cars and most cars made before 2000, there's a cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body, when you put your foot down, the pedal pulls on a cable the opens the butterfly inside your throttle body.
In drive by wire setups (which are become standard in all new cars) the gas pedal is actually connected to a computer which then sends a signal to the butterfly to tell it to open or close. Now most drifters will argue to the death that drive by wire systems aren't nearly as accurate as a cable but I beg to differ. Especially when you consider that Formula 1 and FIA touring cars all use DBW.

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
It's an interesting thought since everyone that uses their car for anything beyond just daily driving wished they could ditch DBW.

The lag in opening, the lag in closing, the bizarre non-linear opening curve, difficulty with tuning. There isn't much to like about them for most people.

Many standalones would be able to handle the task but I doubt many have tried to convert cable > DBW.

If throttle response in desired, try a larger TB or go nuts and do ITBs
I wonder if maybe a new, stronger throttle cable would satisfy my thirst for better throttle response.

I've never seen lag in any DBW cars I've ever driven. I love the way my 4runner (DBW) felt compared to my Tacoma (drive by cable) and they both had the exact same engine, transmission and TRD supercharger.
Old 01-31-12, 07:29 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

I have no clue why you would do this..

Instead of investing the time and money to do this, I suggest turning to swapping a 1JZ and R154 .. I drive cars with drive by wire on a daily basis and I miss my Soarer each time I drive them cause I hate how they feel.

1JZ + R154 = Power when you push the pedal.. =)

This is just my personal opinion, if you feel that you're up for it, then by all means do it.. I just know for a fact that the stock SC400 with the auto trans does feel slow at times.. if you're missing power then I suggest you do some BPU's (basic performance upgrades) before anything else.
Old 01-31-12, 07:38 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Drive by wire sux to me, there is no real connection between the driver and the car.
I drove plenty of newer cars, and its not only boring, but I also didnt feel the performance or something is missing.
Old 01-31-12, 07:47 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

lol the lagging of throttle response is more likely your motor being out of shape or more possible reasoning is that the motor is basically stock
Old 01-31-12, 07:48 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
. Now most drifters will argue to the death that drive by wire systems aren't nearly as accurate as a cable but I beg to differ. Especially when you consider that Formula 1 and FIA touring cars all use DBW.

I wonder if maybe a new, stronger throttle cable would satisfy my thirst for better throttle response.

I've never seen lag in any DBW cars I've ever driven. I love the way my 4runner (DBW) felt compared to my Tacoma (drive by cable) and they both had the exact same engine, transmission and TRD supercharger.
Some racing series use it as a pseudo traction control since traction control (or even fancy ignition control) is not allowed. Because it isn't a direct connection, you can fudge the curve and make throttle more manageable for extreme power to weight ratio cars.

I have not driven a DBW car yet without lag. The closest I have driven to perfect would be Porsche and Nissan. They open very quick but there is still a difference if you spend enough time behind the wheel to notice it. It's not bad enough for me to consider ditching the system but I can see why many would.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is GM's DBW system which even for street use is very noticeable. I drive an LS2 daily and if you let off the throttle quickly you DEFINITELY feel it still surging. Almost scary at times if you need to get off the throttle quick and onto the brakes.

What you're probably liking about DBW is that quick initial opening ratio that many cars use now to make them feel "peppy" (Nissan/Infiniti is notoriously aggressive at tip in) You can to a certain degree reproduce that by finding a TB cable wheel that is smaller diameter. It will firm up the throttle cable and give you a shorter travel from closed to WOT.
Old 02-01-12, 07:02 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY

What you're probably liking about DBW is that quick initial opening ratio that many cars use now to make them feel "peppy" (Nissan/Infiniti is notoriously aggressive at tip in) You can to a certain degree reproduce that by finding a TB cable wheel that is smaller diameter. It will firm up the throttle cable and give you a shorter travel from closed to WOT.
You are a genius! I could probably use a new cable too anyways. Damn, thanks dude.