SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power steering leak - is there a "definitive" thread on the subject?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 09:51 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak - is there a "definitive" thread on the subject?

I have searched the forums a number of times and have failed to find a "definitive" guide on this issue. Perhaps it is because it is too "simple" and I am over thinking it. I've reviewed the definitive DIY thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-threads.html

... but it did not help.

Here is my situation. I have a 1993 SC400 with 56K miles. The engine is very clean and has never leaked a drop of anything since I bought it (4 years). Recently, during an oil change I notice a small amount of fluid collected on the bottom plastic shield as I removed it. I conducted a visual inspection in an attempt to determine the source. I have noticed that some fluid had dropped on one of the PS hoses and on the alternator. It appears that the fluid may be leaking from the PS pump or the hoses connected to it ... but I am unable to determine which it is. I could live with a (very) slight leak in the PS system (about 2 oz per month) but I do not wish to have to replace the alternator because the fluid may have ruined it. The PS works wonderfully and makes no noise ... it just leaks.

As mentioned earlier I have research CL and other forums and have been unable to find a "definitive" guide on determining where the leak is coming from ... and how to replace the WP. Yes, there is a thread on removing/replacing the PS hose but not the pump (if that is the cause). I have found a short, non-detailed instruction on replacing the PS pump as follows:

"The pump brackets are mounted at about a 45 degree angle looking at the pump from the front. The outside bolt is higher.

STEP 1: Disconnect the car battery.

STEP 2: Drain power steering fluid with a turkey baster.

STEP 3: Remove the air intake box, overflow tank, pump reservoir and bracket.

STEP 4: Loosen pump pulley with a 14mm wrench. This will loosen the serpentine belt. Remove both belt and pulley.

STEP 5: Remove vacuum valve on the passenger side of the motor.

STEP 6: Remove side bolts with a 14mm wrench. They are tough to see so you have to feel for them.

STEP 7: Disconnect the high pressure hose and remove the two front bolts with a 10mm wrench. You have to pull the pulley off for access to the front bolts. I carefully pried the pump off with a crowbar by prying one side, then rotating the pulley 180 degrees and prying again. I would recommend using a puller though.

STEP 8: If you did not buy a new power steering fluid reservoir, make sure you thoroughly clean yours out. Flush old power steering fluid too otherwise contaminants may accelerate your new pump's lifespan."

I would appreciate ANY advice/information from anyone who has successfully completed this task. My concerns are as follows:

1. How do you know which (the pump or the hose) is the culprit?
2. Are these instructions valid ... or is there a better way to do this?
3. What type of cleaner/degreaser do you recommend (brake cleaner, etc) to clean the PS fluid off the alternator/hoses/engine block?
4. My research indicates that I should use fresh DEXTRON II ATF to replenish the system ... agreed?

Thank you for reading this lengthy request. All responses are appreciated.
Old 01-21-12, 11:29 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

I'm so happy you posted this I have similar questions, my sc300 is doing the same. I have a slight leak but recently when I start my car, it makes a terrible noise...

I hope someone can chime in on your issue, good luck man!
Old 01-21-12, 12:23 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP. Look at the color of fluid. If it's reddish it's you ps or tranny.
Second guy, your belts are squealing because oil/substance is on your belts.
Goodluck
Charley
Old 01-21-12, 02:33 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With 54k I don't think it's the pump it self. Its pretty easy either way.

Reservoir - Input line - Pump - output line - Rack - Rack left line - Rack right line- Reservior.

It's a loop, ins and outs. One side pressurizes it, the other goes back to the res.

They are basically brake lines so you will have to look for any rust or corrosion.

Brake clean is the ONLY cleaner, cause it's the only thing that works on heavy fluids like oil, and P/S fluid.
Old 01-23-12, 09:29 AM
marcojdm
Rookie

Get a flashlight and look at the pump and pressure line while someone is in the car with the car on and turning the wheel back and forth (all the way left then all the way right, repeat until leak is found) This will cause it to leak which should make it visible for yourself. That should let you diagnose where the leak is from and what should be replaced. Be sure to clean it thoroughly with brake cleaner so that way everything is clearly visible. Good luck!
Old 01-25-12, 08:00 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the pump due to lack of use. The seal kit is $16.10 on Amazon. It is more likely to be the hose at the bottom of the reservoir because several people have mentioned having that problem. It is unlikely to be the other hoses as they are pretty robust. If it were mine, I would do the visual inspection first. Then I would probably buy and use the seal kit and replace the lower hose (the one that goes to the tube attached to the fender well). You can remove the entire assembly from the bracket if you think doing so will give you a better vantage point but you have to remove the serpentine belt to do so.
Old 01-25-12, 08:04 PM
Intrazel
Driver School Candidate

The power steering system seems to be one of the sc's weak points or older lexus vehicles in general as my ls400 is leaking too....

Good luck with it, I just added some Lucas Power Steering stop-leak, did the trick for me, that was months ago...
Old 05-11-13, 03:21 PM
psiviking
9th Gear

Default Can alternator be cleaned?

Hi everyone, I'm new to Club Lexus for about 30 days ago since purchasing a 1998 Lexus LS400. The previous owners took excellent care of the body and interior of the car but lacked regular maintenance. After removing the lower plastic pan, I also noticed a small pool of power steering fluid. With this, I decided to replace the power steering pump and alternator. The ACV unit showed signs of leaking and was replaced with a brass plug and o-ring. I mistakenly believed the o-ring would prevent any leaks. After the repairs were made and starting the car, a massive leak occurred. Now the alternator sounds like a meat grinder. Swapping the o-ring for heavy duty Teflon tape, the leak stopped. Short of replacing the alternator again, is there a way to clean the interior of the alternator? What about using brake cleaner or some other cleaner that does not leave a residue? This is my dream car.
Old 06-13-13, 09:16 AM
philllyj
Rookie

Originally Posted by psiviking
Hi everyone, I'm new to Club Lexus for about 30 days ago since purchasing a 1998 Lexus LS400. The previous owners took excellent care of the body and interior of the car but lacked regular maintenance. After removing the lower plastic pan, I also noticed a small pool of power steering fluid. With this, I decided to replace the power steering pump and alternator. The ACV unit showed signs of leaking and was replaced with a brass plug and o-ring. I mistakenly believed the o-ring would prevent any leaks. After the repairs were made and starting the car, a massive leak occurred. Now the alternator sounds like a meat grinder. Swapping the o-ring for heavy duty Teflon tape, the leak stopped. Short of replacing the alternator again, is there a way to clean the interior of the alternator? What about using brake cleaner or some other cleaner that does not leave a residue? This is my dream car.
Viking i used CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner to clean my alternator. No problems has arisen.