SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Help: Coolant flush fail...Leaking around water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 06:09 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help: Coolant flush fail...Leaking around water pump

So today sucked. I finally had time to work on my 1999 sc300 and thought I should flush the radiator. So I removed the radiator plug from the bottom and drained about ONLY 1/2 gallon. Next I tried to drain the coolant from the block. I found the plug on the block but couldn't drain it properly because I didn't have a proper hose to connect to it After draining as much as I could I put some radiator flush liquid and water in it. As the water started to reach the top of the radiator cap I started hearing water leaking. Oh chit man, I thought to myself. It seemed it was coming from between the water pump and alternator.

History of car: Overheated once, steamed from hood, and mechanic said it was a blown head gasket. All btw happened when I was out of the country and car was being used by family friend. Yes I think he owes me a head gasket job ($2500 or keep it and swap a gte ) but we have a business relationship with him and that would burn some bridges. Anyways oil level is fine, coolant is fine of what was left, and it struggles to start but does after I give it a little gas.

So finally the question is:
A) Are there any coolant lines around the water pump?
B) Would the water pump leak even if the car wasn't started?
C) Whats your advice?

Last edited by mak89; 04-02-11 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 06:27 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm

Well for a coolant flush you don't need to drain coolant from the block. Just drain the radiator fill it up with water and let it warm up and drain and repeat till its clear. Did you double check that you tighten everything you loosen?
Old 04-02-11, 06:30 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Yup everything is tight as it should be. Lets say if it wasn't would this cause leakage around the water pump area without turning over the car?

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Hmmm

Well for a coolant flush you don't need to drain coolant from the block. Just drain the radiator fill it up with water and let it warm up and drain and repeat till its clear. Did you double check that you tighten everything you loosen?
Old 04-02-11, 08:45 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone may have had a stop leak in there and when you flushed the system it could have lossened the seal it made.
Old 04-03-11, 12:39 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is this drain you speak of on the block??? you mean where the thermostat goes? cause if thats what u took off i know when i did mine i took it off and thought i bolted it on and i didnt it was on kinda **** eyed with one nut on the proper bolt and one on the bolt but not through the thermostat drain pipe... i couldnt even tell at first till i actually looked down there and saw it was off. it really felt like it was on right but it wasnt...hope fully this is the case with yours... good luck bro keep us updated
Old 04-03-11, 04:56 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scviolence
what is this drain you speak of on the block??? you mean where the thermostat goes? cause if thats what u took off i know when i did mine i took it off and thought i bolted it on and i didnt it was on kinda **** eyed with one nut on the proper bolt and one on the bolt but not through the thermostat drain pipe... i couldnt even tell at first till i actually looked down there and saw it was off. it really felt like it was on right but it wasnt...hope fully this is the case with yours... good luck bro keep us updated
No not the thermostat housing, theres another drain bolt/plug on the block. Its located on the left side, all the way back if your standing in front of your car. Its a b*tch to get to for sure.

So once I toped of the radiator with water it started pouring like it might have been a loose coolant hose. Is there one located between the water pump and alternator?
Attached Thumbnails Need Help: Coolant flush fail...Leaking around water pump-screen-shot-2011-04-02-at-3.18.20-pm.jpg  
Old 04-03-11, 08:56 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you loosened the block drain bolt, drained coolant and then you filled the coolant and then you had coolant leaking without turning on the car?

at the bottom of that picture it says 'dont loosen all the way or itll be apita to get back on"

Did you take it out all of the way?

I don't see why you'd have some massive new leak given what you've done.

Your car overheated before and you have a blown headgasket. Did you fix this?
Old 04-03-11, 12:01 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RyanV
So you loosened the block drain bolt, drained coolant and then you filled the coolant and then you had coolant leaking without turning on the car?

at the bottom of that picture it says 'dont loosen all the way or itll be apita to get back on"

Did you take it out all of the way?

I don't see why you'd have some massive new leak given what you've done.

Your car overheated before and you have a blown headgasket. Did you fix this?
Yeah leaks without turning on. Thinking its my water pump. Like to do some tests before given into the bhg from one mechanic once I get enough time.

What is the "drain hose" function thats in the pic? Its under the water pump and above the thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help: Coolant flush fail...Leaking around water pump-screen-shot-2011-04-03-at-2.58.27-pm.jpg  
Old 03-23-15, 07:06 PM
chillchewy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to bring back from the dead but my car is doing the exact same thing but only when its on. And i have a feeling i blew a hose. Did you ever figure it out?