the other 1uz to w58 mate

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 10:11 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default the other 1uz to w58 mate

http://www.ksracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=7546.0

i know of quantum auto's kit. but this kit doesnt involve drilling a bellhousing. anyone know of anyone ever using just the bell housing and clutch fork/throwout bearing? and using the quantum auto flywheel & clutch?

once i get my job here in a week im starting the process. and I am weighing all my options and a traditional slave to master cylinder seems easier in my head.

Last edited by iridebmx; 03-23-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 06:30 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's been on ebay for a while. I would rather drill the stock bellhousing than trust that Taiwanese casting though. It looks like it was cast in medieval times.
Old 03-24-11, 11:35 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

^yea everytime i looked for a w58 i would find it.

Im talking to them now hopefully they can give me some insight and examples of the bellhousings on their own cars and what not. It seems like a good idea!.... haha
Old 03-24-11, 11:46 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

others ive found

http://www.monster-performance.com/m...2ac3d0f2bff29d

r154
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/R154_to...41UZFE_KIT.asp
Old 03-26-11, 10:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, obviously I am biased, but I will not sit here and blow smoke up my own ***.

Thats the reason we stayed away from bellhousings... Cast items have really bad material properties as is. Anyone who is anybody x-rays castings for blows, hot tears, scars, blisters, porosity, etc... I can pretty much guarantee that they do not. I would trust the Toyota stock bellhousing, they have always been a nicer quality than aftermarket bellhousings. But for longevity, I would have a hard time wanting to run a Taiwanese/China/etc made casting.

Choose what you like, but sometimes the cheaper option isnt the better option. I can go on for a bit longer why that kit isnt worth the money, now if it was half the price of what it is, I would have a hard time saying no to it.

However, yes you can interchange our clutch/flywheel with other kits etc... Its no big deal.
Old 03-26-11, 10:54 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to be a test dummy for it, I suppose. its seems more practical and traditional to me. tons of people use aftermarket bellhousings on trucks and what not all the time so my little stock 1uz shouldnt break it... i hope!
Old 03-26-11, 11:01 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

im not saying its going to break on you, I just wouldnt use something that could be full of defects that cannot be seen with the naked eye. lol

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 03-26-11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-26-11, 11:18 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
im not saying its going to break on you, I just wouldnt use something that could be full of defects that cannot be seen with the naked eye. lol
I dunno man. My naked eye says some things to me about that bellhousing lol. Oh and you forgot about the pesky casting scabs and washes as well!
Old 03-27-11, 12:02 AM
Str8sikk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is everyone saying that the bellhousing can break, or you jsut saying it could have defects.. looks decent.. a lil ruff but not bad.. but i have never delt with them before so wouldnt know
Old 03-27-11, 07:12 AM
Gimpster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've talked to a couple people who've actually used this bell housing, and its holding up for them at "normal" power levels. I have to be honest, that bell doesnt look much worse than some of the other home-brew-ish bell's I've seen. Doesnt look much worse than some of the transfer case adapters I've used in the past either. I for sure would go over the thing with a die grinder and smooth all of the sharp casting lines out of it. If anyone using this made any sort of real power, PLEASE use a scattershield with this!

I would NOT use or buy their flywheel. From what I've been told its a hunk of cast iron. The one person I talked to who bought the FULL kit said the clutch they supply was just an off the shelf Aisin OEM clutch. I asked for the p/n, but he said he tossed it in the trash. I'm assuming its a Toyota truck clutch of some sort?

A possible small annoyance for us (the people I talked to were RHD) might be the slave being over on the right side.

Otherwise.... I think its pretty nice to have a setup in which you could walk into pretty much any Toyota dealer and buy a slave, throwout bearing and fork for.

Another thing to know is: once these guys have your money, you're on your own. They're very responsive up until the time of payment from all accounts I've read.
Old 03-27-11, 12:56 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

^ yeah I was just going to get the bellhousing, slave, fork and throwout bearing from them For $580 shipped and everything else from quantum's kits... still nowhere near ordering as i havent started the job yet.

btw i like a really hard clutch. is the quantum auto 6 puck really stiff?

Last edited by iridebmx; 03-27-11 at 01:00 PM.