SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone upgraded to an aftermarket CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 07:29 PM
johnsc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone upgraded to an aftermarket CD player?

I dont like my 12disc in the trunk and just want a single cd player up front. I have two concerns.
1.) Is it easy to install a single disc cd player up front even though I already have the 12disc in the trunk or is it a harder process because of this.
2.) Will there be a big gap up front after I install a single disc cd player cuz usually they are pretty small but lexus uses that big unit up front so wont it look funny or what? Thanks
Old 08-17-02, 07:45 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Johnsc400

It is pretty easy to install an aftermarket head unit in a Soarer/SC, the only problem is filling the void left, as the deck's about the size of 2.5DIN. I have a Pioneer DEH-P9350 head unit installed (1DIN) and it fitted in with no problems (I didn't have a 12CD changer installed), and to fill the void a blanking plate was fitted for the time being.
Old 08-17-02, 09:33 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stereo receiver on our cars is 2.5 DIN and most decks are 1 DIN, so you will have about 1.5 DIN of extra space to play with. I'm not sure if they make 1.5 DIN pockets or faces yet, last I checked they didn't, but this isn't really your concern. Tell the installer to make it look clean and he'll fiberglass something custom for you. Install is no harder with the changer in the trunk if you aren't using it. They just cut it out of the circuit.
Old 08-17-02, 11:22 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

johnsc400,

The gap issue has been covered. Worst case scenario is that you can take a piece of ABS plastic or make a psuedo speaker grill to fill the void nicely.

The issue of installing a new stereo using the old speakers is a bit more complex. To recycle the existing amps/speaker will be difficult as the wiring is located under the cd changer in the back. If you want the run the door and rear deck speakers off the factory deck then you will need to run 4 pairs of speaker wire to the rear amp and tap the existing speaker wires back to the factory location speakers... or you can run new wire to each speaker (pain in the rear to go into the doors)

Next you will need to plug in the factory subwoofer.
Option 1: would be to get a new amp
Option 2: would be use the existing amp
Option 3: would be to use the deck power to run the sub..yuck

Option 1 is the best and straight forward. Option 2 is iffy and will call for some additional parts and skill to balance the subwoofer output with the speakers. If you ran ALL the speaker off the factory amps then you would need to purchase some type of attenuator to turn down the deck output (either pre-outs or speaker level) to the SUB NORMAL super low input strength of the factory setup.

Are you confused....sorry.

Let me know where I can help out.

MW
Old 08-18-02, 10:43 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is it possible

Ok, I know some of you might think this is a bit ricey, and normally I hate rice, but tell me what you think of this idea and if it could be done without an extensive amount of work. I'm going to gut and upgrade my entire stereo system soon and I have this idea to fill in the extra 1.5 din space. Take a piece of ABS black plastic like normal, but then this is the different part. Is there a way where you could carve or etch the word lexus in the lexus style font in it and then have a piece of semitransparent white plastic in that spot where it was etched so that a light from behind would shine through and illuminate the word lexus?
I think it would be a good addition to the stereo setup. any ideas to improve upon this or inputs are gladly accepted.
Thanks
Tim

ps-hopefully you guys can understand what I mean.
Old 08-18-02, 10:44 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

I was wondeing if it was possible to get a new head unit, but still be able to use the 12disc CD changer. I would hate to put in a new head unit and only have a single CD player. Also, with that extra space could a S-AFC fit in there . I have been searching for a good place for it, and that seems like it could work.
Old 08-18-02, 11:01 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

tggoodrich,

That would be nice not rice if you made it look professional and not bright enuff to light your entire interior.... You need a roto zip and a make a template from a enlarged photocopy of the Lexus letters... I would think that the circle L would be nice too.

ChrisSC300,

The stock 12disc is an odd duck with no real compatible headunit. You could just buy a new changer and sell that one for about the same amount ~$200. Then your AFC will fit snug in the opening.

Good Luck,

MW
Old 08-19-02, 08:45 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: is it possible

Originally posted by tggoodrich
Ok, I know some of you might think this is a bit ricey, and normally I hate rice, but tell me what you think of this idea and if it could be done without an extensive amount of work. I'm going to gut and upgrade my entire stereo system soon and I have this idea to fill in the extra 1.5 din space. Take a piece of ABS black plastic like normal, but then this is the different part. Is there a way where you could carve or etch the word lexus in the lexus style font in it and then have a piece of semitransparent white plastic in that spot where it was etched so that a light from behind would shine through and illuminate the word lexus?
I think it would be a good addition to the stereo setup. any ideas to improve upon this or inputs are gladly accepted.
Thanks
Tim

Tggoodrich,

Totally understand what you mean... I have a similar idea!! Ok, I own a Soarer 2.5GT, and what I was planning to do was remove the original griffin (front) badge and have it a section of ABS plastic etched out to fit the badge.
Old 08-19-02, 05:41 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default SWEET

Yeah, that griffin idea sounds pretty sweet too. Let me know how it goes and be sure to take pics!
Tim
Old 08-19-02, 06:46 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Default Re: is it possible

Thanks
Tim

Hey Dude! If I were to say that I love the idea you came up w/ it would be a huge understatement!!! What an awesome idea! I kept thinking about it all day! I just got a pioneer head unit that isn't installed yet, I will DEFINITELY do that. I think I'll try it w/ the Lexus "L" illuminated by a turquoise bulb. Great thinkin Goodrich, I'm gonna try to start work on this little project tomorrow. If all goes well, this should look absolutely amazing & cost very little money! Can't wait!

-Johnny
Old 08-20-02, 05:18 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default thanks

Why thanks Silverbolt. I am anxious to see how your project comes out. I would have started mine, but I have to leave this weekend to go to the middle east on business for a month and a half. Be sure to take pics for when I get back. I'm also interested in seeing how your clear tail are going to look. Good luck with those.
Tim
Old 08-20-02, 07:06 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Default Re: thanks

Why thanks Silverbolt. I am anxious to see how your project comes out. I would have started mine, but I have to leave this weekend to go to the middle east on business for a month and a half. Be sure to take pics for when I get back. I'm also interested in seeing how your clear tail are going to look. Good luck with those.
Tim
Hey Tim, today I attained the black plastic I need, cut it to the right size, smoothed out the edges, & stenciled on the Lexus "L" as a guide for me to drill it out. So far so good. As for the tails, I wouldn't expect to see them in the immediate future, but I'll definitely make that happen! hopefully before Christmas time. Good luck on your trip,
-Johnny