SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Help, car shaking after tps fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 06:26 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, car shaking after tps fell off.

Alright I had my 92 SC300's headgasket done 2 months ago and was driving it for a while, then all the sudden yesterday I was leaving a parking lot and the car just started shaking and lost like 30% power, so I drove it home and popped the hood and notice that the TPS is off. The **** mechanic I took it to to have the headgasket done must of only put in the bottom screw which loosened up and let the sensor fall out, well now I put it back in and it still runs like ****, no problem reving, no smoke, no fuel vapor, just shakes still. It's like when an ignition coil goes bad but without the fuel being unburned and coming out in white vapor.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-23-11, 09:44 PM
CrimsonSC3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure you put it in correctly? most of the time you have to put the TPS in turned already... then once it is in place you turn it back straight up and down like normal... thats about all i can give you without seeing the motor or being there in person
Old 01-23-11, 11:19 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrimsonSC3
are you sure you put it in correctly? most of the time you have to put the TPS in turned already... then once it is in place you turn it back straight up and down like normal... thats about all i can give you without seeing the motor or being there in person
I did not know this, I just kind of put it back on and hoped for the best.
Old 01-24-11, 05:45 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonSC3
Hate to tell you, but thats a NEGATIVE..

When reinstalling the TPS, you have to check the Ohms and Volts, and set them back to manufacturer recommended specs as listed in the FSM.

You will have 2 different reading that need to conform to what the FSM has listed, one reading will be with throttle closed, the other will be WOT position.

Here you go attzor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...djustment.html
Old 01-24-11, 05:53 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're mechanic had to remove the TPS to do a head gasket, then he's not a very good mechanic. In other words, I sincerely doubt his work had anything to do with the issue you have now.
Old 01-24-11, 07:44 AM
CrimsonSC3
Rookie

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
If you're mechanic had to remove the TPS to do a head gasket, then he's not a very good mechanic. In other words, I sincerely doubt his work had anything to do with the issue you have now.
Originally Posted by attzor
so I drove it home and popped the hood and notice that the TPS is off. The **** mechanic I took it to to have the headgasket done must of only put in the bottom screw which loosened up and let the sensor fall out
if you actually read what he said the sensor fell out completely... any time i do a head gasket i just simply unplug the TPS sensor, i dont unscrew it... why do more work then i have too. there are two teeth on the inside that have to be lined up with two teeth on the throttle body... so no you dont have to REMOVE the TPS to do head gasket, you unplug it... if he actually has a bad sensor thats another story but i was just going by what the OP described

and to turbodreamz... yeah true... it was 1am and i wasnt all there when i typed the post however the TPS should have never been removed to begin with

Last edited by CrimsonSC3; 01-24-11 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 08:17 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

And if YOU read the post - he's blaming the mechanic for the TPS problem. I'm saying the mechanic had nothing to do with it.
Old 01-24-11, 08:31 AM
CrimsonSC3
Rookie

And if YOU read the post - he's blaming the mechanic for the TPS problem. I'm saying the mechanic had nothing to do with it.
so its not the mechanics fault for not putting both screws in? im just going by what OP said
Old 01-24-11, 08:38 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

You're obviously not getting it. The mechanic didn't have to take the TPS off. Its pointless to argue and this will be my last post on the subject.
Old 01-24-11, 08:43 AM
CrimsonSC3
Rookie

You're obviously not getting it. The mechanic didn't have to take the TPS off. Its pointless to argue and this will be my last post on the subject.
yeah i miss-read one of your posts... my apologies
Old 01-24-11, 08:56 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

It was the mechanic, I have never touched the TPS, he likely removed it in trouble shooting for why it had a miss fire. There was only 1 screw holding the TPS in, vibrations caused it to loosen and come off, not all the way, but to the point there it was able to be completely lifted off the throttle body. This was a VERY bad mechanic and I will never be returning, there is ALOT of bolts missing under the hood, the cruise control cable was just sitting next to its little spot, not even bolted up.

This was not a shop mechanic, it was a person who works with salvage lexus parts and cheap labor on lexuses. He didn't even do a compression test to confirm that it was a BHG, which it was not, it was a bad power steering solenoid, which I had to tell him to check because he couldn't figure it out.