SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Protection coating on fog light housings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 07:56 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Protection coating on fog light housings?

Hey guys. So after attempting to repair the fogs on my car i came to the conclusion that these were too far gone. I got a replacement set but I'm wondering what I can do to protect the housings themselves from eroding like the last once. I thought about painting or clearcoating the housings but I'm not sure if thats the right way to go about it. Any advice? Everything i looked up talks about lenses and not the housings.
Old 02-20-24, 08:19 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Are you worried about the lens getting damaged, or what particularly? Sounds like you mean something else. Didn’t quite understand the “eroding” part…
Old 02-20-24, 10:16 AM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oro
Are you worried about the lens getting damaged, or what particularly? Sounds like you mean something else. Didn’t quite understand the “eroding” part…
This is what happened to my last set of fogs.

The outside housing just eroded/deteriorated over time and became so brittle that i could literally press my finger on any part of that housing and poke a hole in it. I'm wondering what i could do to keep that from happening to the replacements. If the replacements were brand new I wouldn't worry about it because it would likely take another 20 years for them to break the same way but the replacements are also used but in much better condition so I'd like to put some preventative measures in place if possible so I don't have to deal with this again in a couple of years.
Old 02-20-24, 01:22 PM
Oro
Racer

Ah. That’s just crap plastics. It should not have done that, even at this age. I know junk plastic/ABS was used in some places on Toyotas and Lexus in the 90s. We had a early GS that the heater valve box just disintegrated like you are describing. Literally crumbled like cardboard because of the hot coolant and age.

A new one should be made of much better ABS. For an old one, I’d tape off the lenses, connectors, etc. and then spray paint it. This will keep the ABS from oxidizing (it should not - that is why this ABS is a crap/bad formula). The paint will seal at least that side of the ABS and slow down the disintegration. Also, don’t run bulbs that are beyond the factory rating. The extra heat can add to it.

I would paint it with undercoating. Like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-...int-60774.html

That is good value and product, Rustoleum also makes the same stuff that is good and more widely available, few $$ more. I use this in non-visible places under cars, motorcycle fender liners, etc. The rubber coating makes a nice soft flexible coat that resists chipping from rocks hitting it, etc. May not be strictly necessary here to use this type paint, but since I have it on the shelf I’d grab that before regular black since it’s under-car and low down.

Old 02-20-24, 02:09 PM
- V -
Instructor

Sweet, that's basically what I was thinking too. I do have some regular paint but I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the rubberized stuff.
I have no clue how hot the OEM halogens burn on these fogs but I plan to use leds which I'm fairly certain run much cooler.
Old 02-20-24, 02:40 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by - V -
Sweet, that's basically what I was thinking too. I do have some regular paint but I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the rubberized stuff.
I have no clue how hot the OEM halogens burn on these fogs but I plan to use leds which I'm fairly certain run much cooler.
Yeah I was meaning to say that - there are options for cooler running bulbs now and that might help a lot. Good idea.
Old 02-21-24, 09:08 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

The factory bulbs are 35W H3s. A lot of people make the mistake of replacing them with the 55W H3s since those are more common at auto parts stores.
Stick with 35W halogen, or go LED, and you only have to worry about UV damage and road debris
Old 02-25-24, 04:41 PM
- V -
Instructor

Quick update for anyone who may plan to do something similar. The rubberized coating did not stick to the plastic even after leaving it to cure for a full day. I was able to peel it off with my fingers. I tried this on the old housings first along with just regular paint + primer krylon paint. The latter stuck to it no problem. I think If i sprayed the housings with primer before doing the rubberized coating it might have worked but i didn't really bother with that and just used the regular paint.
Old 02-26-24, 07:03 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I wonder if you could just wrap them with foil tape? It does a good job of reinforcing interior panels, sealing the edges of air box heat insulation, etc.