SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 12:34 AM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights

I have been contemplating getting the can of VHT Nightshades out on my cleared '94-'96 tails, but undecided whether I want to tint the lower half or top half of the lights, or just tint both.

So feel free to post some up of either combination.

Here is an example of one I dig a lot with the lot tinted. I'm sure this is someone's SC on here.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 08:32 PM. Reason: OP request
Old 09-14-10, 01:17 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how mine used to look like.

When I've got enough funds, I will black out just the bottom portion, black out the trim on the inside,and do a whole led custom retrofit. Put an LED strip on the top. 20watt led reverse. two 5watt led brakes. and 7 watt led blinker on each side.
Attached Thumbnails Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights-dsc01484.jpg  
Old 09-14-10, 01:34 AM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a good plan, keen to see some pics when you start on it.

The pigs in Melbourne would hunt me down if I went that dark, but it does look smooth though especially on a White SC.
I would probably have to go lighter like in the pic I posted, but maybe start off on the bottom portion, then see how it turns out.
Old 09-14-10, 02:08 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike1JZ
Here is an example of one I dig a lot with the lot tinted. I'm sure this is someone's SC on here.

That's no SC...It's just a Soarer trying to be an SC.
Old 09-14-10, 02:37 AM
suprus
Driver

Here's how mine came out with the VHT. It was my first time using it and I went on a little heavier than I wanted to. The main thing you have to be careful with is making sure you make equal passes on both lenses otherwise one will look darker at night with the lights on, but during the day you cant really tell. But the finish on it is decent if you have any experience with rattle can painting. Any small bumps can easily be wet sanded out with a 1500 or so grit. In my crappy pic you cant really tell but it has a medium glossy finish but can be polished and waxed.

Old 09-14-10, 08:35 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Woow that's dark!! Before you tint your tail light, find out what your law is in your state, it's not worth getting ticketed for.
Old 09-14-10, 08:48 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

How is the light output on your cars?
Old 09-14-10, 09:39 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

don't let the pictures fool you too much. During the day they don't look that dark, just a couple shades darker. Light output was more than enough for safety.

I've even had COPS drive behind me and not pull me over or anything, until I met a douchebag chp cop.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...need-help.html

This is a better look at them.
Old 09-14-10, 11:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sc-driver
don't let the pictures fool you too much. During the day they don't look that dark, just a couple shades darker. Light output was more than enough for safety.

I've even had COPS drive behind me and not pull me over or anything, until I met a douchebag chp cop.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...need-help.html

This is a better look at them.
That looks pretty good. I have tinted 93 tails on my SC and the light output is slightly dimmer than stock. I had a cop tell me that some cops will pull you over as the taillight needs to have red on it, but I've never gotten a ticket or anything. I need to get some LED's
Old 09-14-10, 11:41 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jdm muscle!!!!
Old 10-09-13, 09:35 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc-driver
Here is how mine used to look like.

When I've got enough funds, I will black out just the bottom portion, black out the trim on the inside,and do a whole led custom retrofit. Put an LED strip on the top. 20watt led reverse. two 5watt led brakes. and 7 watt led blinker on each side.
That looks really good by the way
Old 10-09-13, 10:08 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It rained really hard here in SoCal today, and I checked my tailights how bright they look from afar in the rain, and it's already hard to see as is. For safety reasons, I strongly recommend not doing this unless you want people to hit you from the back and total your car in an instant. And please be considerate with other people as well.
Old 10-10-13, 03:53 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suprus
Here's how mine came out with the VHT. It was my first time using it and I went on a little heavier than I wanted to. The main thing you have to be careful with is making sure you make equal passes on both lenses otherwise one will look darker at night with the lights on, but during the day you cant really tell. But the finish on it is decent if you have any experience with rattle can painting. Any small bumps can easily be wet sanded out with a 1500 or so grit. In my crappy pic you cant really tell but it has a medium glossy finish but can be polished and waxed.

Wow that looks murderous man...

I'm not a big fan of black SC's, I always thought the tails looked weird, but you just changed my mind completely. Good job.
Old 10-10-13, 09:07 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I tinted the bottom portion of my 96 tails with red-out film.
Attached Thumbnails Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights-tinted1.jpg   Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights-tinted2.jpg  
Old 10-10-13, 01:06 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

It's easy to put too much on. I think it looks ricey when they are pitch black. red out looks good on black cars imo.

I was actually wondering what it would look like to apply a thin coat on the "chrome" reflector cover inside the headlights, NOT the glass/lens, for that smoked look. havn't seen it done yet.

Quick Reply: Tinted 94-96 Tail Lights