SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Which Scenerio would be BEST!
Trade and get the Turbo M3
32.26%
Keep the sc400 and 5 speed swap it
64.52%
Sell the sc400 and get something else
0%
Other (post why though)
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

e36 or sc400??? What do yall think!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 07:43 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

specs on the m3 and pics?
Old 04-29-10, 07:55 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

id say NA-T 2JZ all the way
Old 04-29-10, 07:57 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any specs on it right now nor pics. It looks clean, it has a "widebody" kit on it. it looks like over fenders though. From the looks of it, seems like I should just keep the sc. Still up in the air but I do love the body style a lot more than the e36. Now if it was an e46 that would be diff. Ahhh...the hard decisions in life, well keep em coming. either way i will be putting in a new motor, i bet as soon as i drive it again I will fall in love with her...like an old fling. lol...
Old 04-30-10, 10:48 PM
KaliSoarer
Driver School Candidate

i have both:

the e36 is hands down best all around car. handles well ,smooth power, easy to work on and actually very cheap since theres so many of them. it is my daily for over 6 years and still running perfect. very reliable.

the sc3 feels big, handles like crap, hard to stop but i bought it for the round body style instead of the boxy e36. and in my area you dont see too much of them. plus im doing a turbo project right now aiming to do 400-450 whp daily. doing that to the e36 will cost me an arm and a leg.

sc3/4: weekend fun car
e36: daily driver, fast, and sporty

heres a pic:
Old 05-01-10, 12:43 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Are you saying this person wants to trade his Beemer which he probably spent tens of thousands of dollars on for an SC400 with a dying motor? I hope I'm reading this post wrong, because if that's true, I'd be VERY concerned that something may be wrong with his car as well.

All points aside about SC400 vs M3, as a rule of thumb, I would never buy a modded car... ever. Its nothing personal, I've modded my car too (my signature pic is deceptive, I took it when I first bought my car). I'm just wary about taking a car which someone else modded for two reasons:

1) That means they probably weren't using the car for grocery shopping
2) If work has been done on the car's engine, you don't really know what shape it truly is in. There are thousands of wannabe ricers out there who do stupid things without knowing what they're really doing, and end up seriously harming the motor. If I really wanted a turbo M3, I'd suck it up and pay the money for a real M3 (not a knock off one), then turbo it.

As for the argument about SC400 vs M3, sure hands down the BMW wins, but style wise I think the E36 3 series was just bland looking; it looks so boxy including the interior. I don't know if BMW's designers were trying to go for some sort of retro-look in a vain attempt to keep the 80s style, but they sure dropped the ball on that. It wasn't really until the E46 in 1999 that they got the styling right. No one can argue the SC400 was WELL ahead of its time in terms of style and really set a benchmark. When the SC400 came out in 1991, you didn;t have much to choose from in terms of style. BMW was still making the E30 3-series, and Ford was making that pathetic looking 3rd gen Mustang.
Old 05-01-10, 05:04 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brendon
Are you saying this person wants to trade his Beemer which he probably spent tens of thousands of dollars on for an SC400 with a dying motor? I hope I'm reading this post wrong, because if that's true, I'd be VERY concerned that something may be wrong with his car as well.

All points aside about SC400 vs M3, as a rule of thumb, I would never buy a modded car... ever. Its nothing personal, I've modded my car too (my signature pic is deceptive, I took it when I first bought my car). I'm just wary about taking a car which someone else modded for two reasons:

1) That means they probably weren't using the car for grocery shopping
2) If work has been done on the car's engine, you don't really know what shape it truly is in. There are thousands of wannabe ricers out there who do stupid things without knowing what they're really doing, and end up seriously harming the motor. If I really wanted a turbo M3, I'd suck it up and pay the money for a real M3 (not a knock off one), then turbo it.

As for the argument about SC400 vs M3, sure hands down the BMW wins, but style wise I think the E36 3 series was just bland looking; it looks so boxy including the interior. I don't know if BMW's designers were trying to go for some sort of retro-look in a vain attempt to keep the 80s style, but they sure dropped the ball on that. It wasn't really until the E46 in 1999 that they got the styling right. No one can argue the SC400 was WELL ahead of its time in terms of style and really set a benchmark. When the SC400 came out in 1991, you didn;t have much to choose from in terms of style. BMW was still making the E30 3-series, and Ford was making that pathetic looking 3rd gen Mustang.
Very well said. Why give you his turbo'd beast for something to start all over with unless his BMW is on its way out and this is the best option for him.