SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 10:47 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did stock coil replacement - I'm guessing an aftermarket setup would really be nice, but I'm staying nearly stock (intake is on my list and possibly exhaust eventually). 2 coils, one right in front on top of motor (toward pass side) and the other down on the drivers side front of motor, along timing belt cover (not the easiest location to change, but not bad).

The ground planes for the coils (unscrew one and you'll see what I mean) were completely corroded, so I was losing power there as well. Basically, these are 100K item as I understand, or 60K with lots of idling time. Cost me nearly $85 a pop.
Old 01-22-02, 10:51 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up Glad you brought that up.....

COILS are in the future NOW!!! Damn I wish I would've changed them with the tune up a month ago... When everything was apart.
Old 01-22-02, 12:34 PM
cupete
Pole Position

replacing the ignition coils!!!!
How do you change the ignition coils? What is the symptom of having bad ignition coils?

Peter~
Old 01-22-02, 12:39 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I still have my cold starting problem. My heat works intermittently. Otherwise the car runs fine.
I need to repaint my car, and I'd like a body kit. Lowering springs and Tokicos will go on later.
I've stopped servicing my car at the dealer because they're destructive and careless. Anyway, I do try to keep up.
Also I need a battery which no one sells :P
Old 01-22-02, 12:45 PM
joelchicago
Rookie

Symptoms of blown coils: loss of power, minimal spark, missing, stutter at idle or under throttle, longer start time when cold, lightning storms around the coil as it arcs from tip to the grounding screws in the dark.

Replacement is easy: 4 screws per coil, 2 bolts to remove on one.

Front top one is cake - remove 4 screws, remove 2 cables, sand mount area til shiny, then screw in new one.

Bottom one on driver's side is a little tougher. Remove bracket (2 bolts - remove one with socket and extension, other with open end wrench). Unplug wires and remove coil and bracket from engine bay. Remove screws, sand bracket til shiny, bolt up new coil.

On that battery: I have a ProStart the previous owner put in. Pep Boys special. Doesn't fit the plastic battery box perfectly, but it's the right amount of juice for the car and it does the job CHEAPLY! Still looks good enough!
Old 01-22-02, 01:03 PM
cupete
Pole Position

It sounds hard.... Can I damage my engine if I don't know what I am doing?

Peter~
Old 01-22-02, 01:19 PM
joelchicago
Rookie

Not hard at all - almost impossible to screw it up, or your car.

Open your hood, look right on the top front of the engine, just to the left of center. You'll see a molded plastic thing with 4 screws (2 on each side) just kinda sitting out there by itself, coming out toward you. That's the coil. Remove the 4 screws and it's loose. The only hard thing is to disconnect the spark plug wire without breaking the plastic piece that holds it on - if your wires are a few years old, that plastic is brittle and will break (car still runs fine, of course). There are 2 wires that are connected to the back of the coil that you must disconnect. Very easy. They are keyed so you can't put them on wrong!

This is one of the easiest things to replace on the car in my opinion!
Old 01-22-02, 01:34 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Alright,

I will give it a try, where can I buy the ignition coil and how much does it cost?

Thanks,

Peter~
Old 01-22-02, 03:44 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Never go to Lexus of Marin, they damaged my car and wouldn't pay for it.
If you have proof go to small claims court! Did you call Lexus customer service? What did they say about it...

**Joel, coils sound pretty easy to replace... I wonder how much juice(volts) is in oem coils vs aftermarket ones?

**Cupete have you tuned the car yet?
Old 01-22-02, 04:38 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default GOOOOOOD THREAD!!

I need maintenance like a ****!

Bascially I need my 40k service and.......

ALIGNMENT LIKE OTHER!!!!!! I have to turn my wheel more than 1/8 to the left to go straight! Vibrates like a cheap motel bed......can be good at times....

I have a misisng center cap

Missing plastic cover to interior center dome light

One of my end caps to my running board is not there cause they forgot to put it back on when they fixed it

A/C not working cause of a broken line caused by the bodyshop (being fixed at their cost of course)

Old 01-22-02, 04:55 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Madmax,

Can't you find a battery from Sear diehard?

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I still have my cold starting problem. My heat works intermittently. Otherwise the car runs fine.
I need to repaint my car, and I'd like a body kit. Lowering springs and Tokicos will go on later.
I've stopped servicing my car at the dealer because they're destructive and careless. Anyway, I do try to keep up.
Also I need a battery which no one sells :P
Old 01-22-02, 06:26 PM
cupete
Pole Position

How many ignition coils do I need to replace?

Thanks,

Peter~
Old 01-22-02, 08:48 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Old 01-23-02, 08:54 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You know, why don't we actually put somekind of a FAQ about these things and make a link to these threads. There is a ton of useful info here and people are bound to ask again and again. We need to move on to better more interesting subjects. Here is an example:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html
Old 01-23-02, 09:24 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
You know, why don't we actually put somekind of a FAQ about these things and make a link to these threads. There is a ton of useful info here and people are bound to ask again and again. We need to move on to better more interesting subjects. Here is an example:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html
Go to the "Site/suggestion forum" and read the thread topic "How to"..

Better yet here is the link to it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=29494

Ikon

Quick Reply: The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!