SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Whats been the hardest desicion when it comes to modding?
Interior
20.00%
Exterior
9.09%
Wheels
12.73%
Suspension
12.73%
Engine
34.55%
Stereo
9.09%
Other
18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

So what been the hardest part of you're build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 08:15 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what been the hardest part of you're build?

So I was sitting and once again contemplating on what I'm going to do with my car. Something that tears me apart every time I think about it. It's not that I'm trying to impress anyone, it's whether or not I will be satisfied with it. But I wanna know what was the hardest part of modding you're SC?

Really the to biggest hurdle I am facing are what I'm I'm going to do with the exterior and wheels. Do I want an aggressive look i.e. Vertex or Yanack, or do I want a clean "VIP" look i.e. Auto Couture or T's Project? And don't get me started on the wheel decision. I've been back and forth between so many different brands it's kinda ridiculous. Every time I decide on a wheel It either a) Doesn't come in the sizes and offsets or B) It gets discontinued (i.e. Work Equips).

But what's been the hardest part for you? Whether it be stereo, exterior, interior, whatever.
Old 11-01-07, 08:24 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

For me I'm not going for agressive nor VIP... for me I want to open the door and step into a brand new luxury car everytime I go to start her up. The fresh leather smell, no squeaks and rattles etc and tight suspension feel. I want something that resembles what the SC was originally marketed as - a sports luxury coupe.

Wheels were a definite hard decision to make as when you've got 4k to play with you really wanna make sure that you order the style that you think that you won't want to sell in a short period. My choice came down to two wheels... Trafficstar RTS (Maya RT5) and the Work LS406. As you can see from my pic I've gone for the RTS as it satisfies my needs; sure it doesn't have crazy offsets and all that I was originally looking for but (imo) it suits the lines of an SC so well and I'm planning on pushing the wheels out between 10~15mm (on spacers... I really don't wanna wait another 4 months for the wheels to be delivered again).

Second hardest decision is to either strap on a kit or leave the factory '97 body alone. If I do go for a kit though it will definitely be Auto Couture, but in my current situation (i.e. the roads I drive down and, first and foremost, my driveway is steep as hell) I'm not sure if it's the smartest idea to install a kit.

All the rest is pretty much a given (can't have a turbo car without BPU) and every car deserves the right ride stance. But before the kit goes on (if I ever decide to get it) is to replace everything that needs a once over to make it feel brand new first.

Last edited by BLK13X; 11-01-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 08:54 PM
VotT
Driver School Candidate

hahahaha just the cluster mine are burnt out so that is the next step besides the new motor.
Old 11-01-07, 09:44 PM
powrserj
Driver

Oh man my issue lately has been my interior. Found some nice seats to put in but now figuring black and beige, all black or all beige. Color schemes a bi*ch. Exterior to me has been much easier but wheel choice is another pain but not as bad.
Old 11-01-07, 10:06 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep telling myself to make the car balanced before the supercharger.

But I want it now... haha
Old 11-01-07, 10:09 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

By far and above, "Other"...Getting the businesses that I contract with to perform the work they were being paid for within a reasonable time frame of when they comitted to complete their work...Unbelieveable!!! Not all of the shops are even capable of doing the work they tell you they can perform, and most shops that can do good work, take months to get the job done....Even then, assume this....If they tell you 4 weeks, for example, multiply that times 4, and you may be close, if you're lucky...
Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 11-03-07 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 11:07 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phase one is almost done.(wheels, exterior and suspension) The hardest part for me is the engine build up(phase two). There are a few unknowns and I am totally out of my league mechanically. Some have mastered the swap thing but I see crazy stuff on threads that would drive me crazy. Luckily there will be some 2jzgte's running around here in MD and can learn from them. If I could do it all again I would have brought some supra wheels. Wheel kept me from some fun last summer. With my brake upgrade I waited too long for rims. and they slowed everything up.
Old 11-01-07, 11:52 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

well right now..im working on my ice..so thats going to be a bit tough because i am planning to put in a carpc..i have most of the stuff..i just need the screen and power supply for the car..once im done..i am hoping for it to look very clean..but for decision wise..i think both the interior and exterior..exterior for wheels, paint job, other mods to make it look different from the outside; for interior, basically the same..how to mod it to look different and clean..those are my main goals..to keep it clean and stock-looking, while making it look different than whats out there
Old 11-02-07, 05:36 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not exactly going for speed but for luxury style plus audio. honestly i dont think at 16 i can handle a super high horsepower rwd car so im gonna make my car look as good as possible (Origin body kit or 97+) with some new wheels (17inch for winter and either 19 if i go 97 or 20's if i go origin) and lowered on probably tein basics. i want my car to feel as in you're stepping into a brand new luxury sports car that looks as good as a car like this should. BLK13X where did you find those trafficstars? they look amazing
Old 11-02-07, 07:42 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by durtysc300
BLK13X where did you find those trafficstars? they look amazing
Thanks buddy Got them brought in from Japan
Old 11-02-07, 08:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I did exterior and wheels first to get them out the way...the hardest for me was the motor, first I was going to do na-t, ended up with a bpu 1j got tired of that went single got tired of that and now I'm going to be bpu 2jzgte and single eventually. All this time I could have had a nice na-t setup..........oh well....I have to work on my interior next.
Old 11-02-07, 08:58 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stupid fkn air suspension
Old 11-02-07, 09:59 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i win all..
SHARING A CAR >:[
hardest.. EVER
Old 11-02-07, 10:30 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Keep telling myself to make the car balanced before the supercharger.

But I want it now... haha
Sort of along those lines, except turbo. I was just a few parts shy of a complete NA-T kit for a long time, and rather than just buying the last few things I keep buying other stuff that'll make the car better when the NA-T goes in. Now I'm almost ready to start installing and instead I'm looking at rear suspension pieces to help it hook better. I need to just stop it and put the kit in.
Old 11-02-07, 10:33 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

hahahah this is funny but the hardest part to find for me was the coolant resevior cap ahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: So what been the hardest part of you're build?