Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 07:35 AM
SCott300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raine
how low is "lowered"? flush? finger gap? tucked? Are you on coilovers or springs? do you care about stretch, or want all meat? What are you running up front? define "pretty good tire"? you plan on burning out all day? stoplight launching?
I am lowered on espelir springs, switching to coilovers later in the year. I do want some stretch in the back, i have 19x9+22s on the front with 235/35 Nankangs on the front. I want a tire that is going to get the power to the ground and not spin like crazy everytime i stomp the gas ( 5-speed). I dont want to match the cheapo's that I have on the front for that reason. I am not planning on doing burn outs, but stoplight launching is a good bet
Old 01-14-13, 07:42 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott300
I am lowered on espelir springs, switching to coilovers later in the year. I do want some stretch in the back, i have 19x9+22s on the front with 235/35 Nankangs on the front. I want a tire that is going to get the power to the ground and not spin like crazy everytime i stomp the gas ( 5-speed). I dont want to match the cheapo's that I have on the front for that reason. I am not planning on doing burn outs, but stoplight launching is a good bet
Okay, then I'd suggest at least a 275/30 for the rear. Keep in mind that once you go coilovers you'll probably have to do some slight alignment (i.e. camber) work and a little fender pulling to get it to clear without rubbing during daily driving. By the way, a 235/35 front and a 275/30 rear have the same sidewall height, if that's something that you notice visually.I know I do; I hate when people have thinner-profile tires in the rear on an RWD car, it just doesn't look right

I just had a thought - maybe get a matching set of front tires too so you don't have an uneven amount of grip front/rear... Nangkangs suck with traction, and with 500hp I'm pretty sure you'll want that traction up front when it comes time to stop
Old 01-14-13, 09:04 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys I need more help, i don't know why I'm failing at this so HARD but its annoying none the less. So when i went to buy tires they didn't have the original 265/35s like raine suggested so i got 245/40s. The problems now are that my car looks strange at certain angles since the stretch of the 225/40 in the front do not match.

Also, it seems as if a previous owner had a fender repair done, while on the outside everything looks fine, but the inner of the fender has all types of bondo and things like that, which held me back when i went to roll them.
So i was able to roll and do a slight pull, just enough to stop some of the rubbing, so therefore I need to get a smaller sidewall. I'm thinking about stepping down to a 245/35. I am able to tuck the rear on the driver side but not the passenger side at all do to the attempted repairs.

All rambling aside i guess what I'm trying to get at is if I'm on the right track with the 245/35?
Old 01-14-13, 09:10 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sr71b
Ok guys I need more help, i don't know why I'm failing at this so HARD but its annoying none the less. So when i went to buy tires they didn't have the original 265/35s like raine suggested so i got 245/40s. The problems now are that my car looks strange at certain angles since the stretch of the 225/40 in the front do not match.

Also, it seems as if a previous owner had a fender repair done, while on the outside everything looks fine, but the inner of the fender has all types of bondo and things like that, which held me back when i went to roll them.
So i was able to roll and do a slight pull, just enough to stop some of the rubbing, so therefore I need to get a smaller sidewall. I'm thinking about stepping down to a 245/35. I am able to tuck the rear on the driver side but not the passenger side at all do to the attempted repairs.

All rambling aside i guess what I'm trying to get at is if I'm on the right track with the 245/35?
It sounds like your suspension needs adjustments. If you're tucking on one side and not the other, and have the same size tires from side to side, it's not your tires causing the issue.
Old 01-14-13, 09:17 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TweakTech
It sounds like your suspension needs adjustments. If you're tucking on one side and not the other, and have the same size tires from side to side, it's not your tires causing the issue.
well i know the suspension needs a tad bit more adjustments, but the rears are pretty much the same height, the fender on the passenger rear side just is not cooperating at all, there the tire can not clear it, therefore the fender was just laying on it eating the tires. Like i said was able to do somewhat of a roll and pull to help with the rubbing, but it looks like it still is not enough clearance to tuck like the driver side. I am going to take it to a body shop to see what they can do if anything, but i feel as though stepping down in sidewall height is a sound solution as well.
Old 01-14-13, 12:26 PM
firstsc3
Driver School Candidate

I got an sc300 a while back and I've been looking for the perfect fitment for my taste and I've found some that are close but not quite what i want. I would like to run a 255 in the front 245 atleast, I want a slight stretch and perfectly flush not all poking out. Idk if I should run 18x10 all around or if I should do a 10.5 and 9.5. I would like the front and rear to look equally stretched so I don't want a 225 on a 10 inch rim on the front and a 255 on the same rim on back. If someone could give some input on a nice setup like this it would be very much appreciated. I've been looking at some work cr ultimate wheels that are 18x10.5 with +22 and +15 offsets. I wasn't sure if I could get a 255 on the front with the +22 with the fenders rolled flat and maybe a slight pull if necessary or they have a 9.5 front with a higher offset that I could use spacers to adjust the offset accordingly. Again any advice, suggestion, or input would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 01-14-13, 02:21 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I just picked up 4 Work rims all sized: 20"x10.5" +23 O-Disk faces (Btw, hoping they clear the brakes w/out spacers... Yikes.)

I've asked several people on the forums if they are going to fit, and some say that they should, others that I will need wide fenders; So- I'd like to hopefully get more opinions here on the matter- as well as tire sizing-- I'm thinking 245/35's should be fine.

(*If at all possible I want to use the factory metal front fenders.) How many mm can they be pulled and still look decent? Btw, I'll definitely be cutting out the fender well lips, not rolling them. Probably a 3" drop, or so.

Thanks! These are definitely my favorite rims, a perfect 50/50 blend of Performance GT-style and Luxury-style, just like the SC chassis. They must fit!

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-15-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 09:23 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

the 245/35 tire will give you about the same stretch you have now; the sidewall is 5% smaller than you have now, giving you a tire that's not as tall. Having a tire that isnt as tall will help with the rubbing, but since it isnt as tall you wont tuck so much.

For specific measurements check out this tire calculator: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 01-15-13, 09:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
I just picked up 4 Work rims all sized: 20"x10.5" +23 O-Disk (Btw, hoping they clear the brakes w/out spacers... Yikes.)

I've asked several people on the forums if they are going to fit, and some say that they should, others that I will need wide fenders; So- I'd like to hopefully get more opinions here on the matter- as well as tire sizing-- I'm thinking 245/35's should be fine.

(*If at all possible I want to use the factory metal front fenders.) How many mm can they be pulled and still look decent? Btw, I'll definitely be cutting out the fender well lips, not rolling them. Probably a 3" drop, or so.

Thanks! These are definitely my favorite rims, a perfect 50/50 blend of Performance GT-style and Luxury-style, just like the SC chassis. They must fit!
With 245's I think that will stretch nicely. 10.5 +23 will fit flush with the stock body SC, however all fenders will need to be rolled flat. I've never cut the metal but, but my offsets are similiar and all my fenders are rolled flat, front and back
Old 01-15-13, 10:28 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I'd say no on the 245's, look at the numbers:

First of all, the actual tire measurements (not tire sizing) are very different comparing what I suggested and what you bought. i.e.
The 265/35 has a 3.65" sidewall height measurement, whereas the 245/40 is taller at 3.86"
The 265/35 has a 25.30" overall tire diameter measurement, whereas the 245/40 is taller at 25.72"

Now a difference of 0.21" and 0.42" might seem trivial to some people, but when it comes to fitting wheels and tires every little bit counts - which I'm sure you know by now. So the first issue is that you're running a taller tire with a taller sidewall. If you were to go with a 245/35, then the measurements compare as follows:

245/40 = 3.86" sidewall height, 25.72" overall diameter
245/35 = 3.38" sidewall height, 24.75" overall diameter

The 265 I suggested to you in the first place fits right in between those two when you compare the numbers. Sure, you could get more clearance with the 245/35, but with a 245/35 you introduce a different "issue" - if you're running 225/40's up front, your 245/35 in the rear will be SMALLER visually - compare these numbers:

FRONT (what you have now) 225/40 = 3.54 sidewall height, 25.09" overall diameter
REAR (what you're planning) 245/35 = 3.38" sidewall height, 24.75" overall diameter

But again, if you were to go with what I suggested, then you'd have this:

FRONT (what you have now) 225/40 = 3.54" sidewall height, 25.09" overall diameter
REAR (what I suggested HELLO) 265/35 = 3.65" sidewall height, 25.30" overall diameter

Matches up well, the rear would be a pinch taller with a slightly taller sidewall - but we are talking about a RWD car. It's supposed to be that way!

As for the bondo work, sorry to hear about that. Maybe you could shave away some of the bondo underneath, but you'd be cutting it close since if you remove too much then you might cut right through the fender (bad thing!). If you can tuck one side but not the other, then the bottom line is that you can't tuck period. It should be even and the measurement of even isn't having both coilovers exactly at the same length setting - the measurement is done with the wheels on the car, tires inflated to correct pressure, on a flat level surface, and you check by measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender opening.

Oh, did I suggest you go 265/35's?

Originally Posted by firstsc3
I got an sc300 a while back and I've been looking for the perfect fitment for my taste and I've found some that are close but not quite what i want. I would like to run a 255 in the front 245 atleast, I want a slight stretch and perfectly flush not all poking out. Idk if I should run 18x10 all around or if I should do a 10.5 and 9.5. I would like the front and rear to look equally stretched so I don't want a 225 on a 10 inch rim on the front and a 255 on the same rim on back. If someone could give some input on a nice setup like this it would be very much appreciated. I've been looking at some work cr ultimate wheels that are 18x10.5 with +22 and +15 offsets. I wasn't sure if I could get a 255 on the front with the +22 with the fenders rolled flat and maybe a slight pull if necessary or they have a 9.5 front with a higher offset that I could use spacers to adjust the offset accordingly. Again any advice, suggestion, or input would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys
- Well to begin with, a 255 tire comes out to about a 10.04" width (no stretch). A 255 up front would require some offset and fender work to fit and clear, since those are also the turning tires, and inner fender clearance on our cars isn't that great to begin with.

- You can get an "equally stretched" front and rear regardless of wheel width, it's all a matter of choosing the right tire sizes (read what I just told sr71, above)

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
I just picked up 4 Work rims all sized: 20"x10.5" +23 O-Disk faces (Btw, hoping they clear the brakes w/out spacers... Yikes.)

First of all, I hope you have a body kit - SC's with 20's on stock body looks high roller... and I don't mean Las Vegas.

But that's just my opinion. Anyhoo - 10.5s can fit up front, but 2-x10.5 will need a lot of fender massaging. I don't think you'll need "widebody fenders" but the 10.5's will have some poke. The part you might find difficult is the inner clearance, especially if you want to go 3" down. There's not a lot of room under the front fenders, with that wheel sizing I'm pretty sure you'll hit the inner wheel well before you reach full lock on the steering wheel.
Old 01-15-13, 10:48 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Thanks for the thoughts Jadu and Raine.

Good to know it'll be close-- so there is hope. I wonder if any of the replacement suspension arms gives more room? (Ikeya Formula, Battle Version, etc.) Yes, it'll def. have a kit- I know what you mean. (Though ScottURNot did pull off the look nicely without):

Name:  7-10-07MiniTMCurvedHB001.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-15-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 11:12 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raine
Personally I'd say no on the 245's, look at the numbers:

First of all, the actual tire measurements (not tire sizing) are very different comparing what I suggested and what you bought. i.e.
The 265/35 has a 3.65" sidewall height measurement, whereas the 245/40 is taller at 3.86"
The 265/35 has a 25.30" overall tire diameter measurement, whereas the 245/40 is taller at 25.72"

Now a difference of 0.21" and 0.42" might seem trivial to some people, but when it comes to fitting wheels and tires every little bit counts - which I'm sure you know by now. So the first issue is that you're running a taller tire with a taller sidewall. If you were to go with a 245/35, then the measurements compare as follows:

245/40 = 3.86" sidewall height, 25.72" overall diameter
245/35 = 3.38" sidewall height, 24.75" overall diameter

The 265 I suggested to you in the first place fits right in between those two when you compare the numbers. Sure, you could get more clearance with the 245/35, but with a 245/35 you introduce a different "issue" - if you're running 225/40's up front, your 245/35 in the rear will be SMALLER visually - compare these numbers:

FRONT (what you have now) 225/40 = 3.54 sidewall height, 25.09" overall diameter
REAR (what you're planning) 245/35 = 3.38" sidewall height, 24.75" overall diameter

But again, if you were to go with what I suggested, then you'd have this:

FRONT (what you have now) 225/40 = 3.54" sidewall height, 25.09" overall diameter
REAR (what I suggested HELLO) 265/35 = 3.65" sidewall height, 25.30" overall diameter

Matches up well, the rear would be a pinch taller with a slightly taller sidewall - but we are talking about a RWD car. It's supposed to be that way!

As for the bondo work, sorry to hear about that. Maybe you could shave away some of the bondo underneath, but you'd be cutting it close since if you remove too much then you might cut right through the fender (bad thing!). If you can tuck one side but not the other, then the bottom line is that you can't tuck period. It should be even and the measurement of even isn't having both coilovers exactly at the same length setting - the measurement is done with the wheels on the car, tires inflated to correct pressure, on a flat level surface, and you check by measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender opening.

Oh, did I suggest you go 265/35's?
well you know i like to learn the hard way lol. But yeah i don't want to touch the bondo at all right now, and that's the thing, I want to have the wider tire in the rear that's why i don't really want to do a 225 in the rear. But yeah idk the car is just being weird right now with the way it sits, when i get the new tires for the rear i'm going to get everything adjusted and measured again, when i wanted for the first alignment, it got stopped short since the fenders weren't rolled yet.

Moral of the story, just listen to Raine the first time lol
Old 01-15-13, 12:05 PM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my setup: 18x9 18x10 +17 225/40 all around
****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****-kgnth.jpg
****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****-nryl5.jpg
The following users liked this post:
River2016 (01-29-22)
Old 01-15-13, 03:14 PM
firstsc3
Driver School Candidate

Well to begin with, a 255 tire comes out to about a 10.04" width (no stretch). A 255 up front would require some offset and fender work to fit and clear, since those are also the turning tires, and inner fender clearance on our cars isn't that great to begin with.

- You can get an "equally stretched" front and rear regardless of wheel width, it's all a matter of choosing the right tire sizes (read what I just told sr71, above).

255 35 on a 10.5 +15-20ish looks like about what I'd like on the rear from some pics I've seen so let's just say I go with the staggered setup wat should I run on a 9.5 in the front to be look equally stretched as the rear? I hope atleast a 235 ..idk why I just hate the idea of a skinny tire up front
Old 01-15-13, 03:20 PM
firstsc3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for your input its appreciated ..I don't mean to be a noob to the tire stretching game but I kinda am ha so sorry if Iwas being unrealistic.

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****