SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door Won't Open From Outside? DO NOT ROLL DOWN WINDOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 06:48 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Search under "door clip" and you'll see many other threads on this same topic. It has been discussed in depth several times already.

Such as here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=door+clip
It's been discussed in depth several times already; however, many fellow SC3/4 owners are still snapping their rods causing a 200-400 dollar repair when it could be a 3 dollar job.
Old 07-12-07, 09:35 AM
BadBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me - the break and all. I took the bottom broken piece of the rod - now in the shape of a "U", drilled a small hole at the base of the "U", turned it upside down, drilled a small hole at the base of the top part of the rod just above the break point & screwed the two pieces together with a small sheet metal screw (kind of looked like a tuning fork). I then re-inserted the upside "U" part of the rod back into the locking mechanism in its original place (small hole with a spring loaded bar against the edge of the door) & clipped the top part of the rod back onto its place on the door handle. It has been over six months and it has worked like a charm (knock on wood). Or, as stated above, you can weld the two pieces back together.
Old 05-17-11, 01:38 PM
lex4bink
Driver School Candidate

Default Got Lucky!

I think I just got plain lucky. I broke my snap connector a few days back and tried getting the replacement from the local Toyota dealer. I had to wait two days since the part was out of stock and I had to get it ordered. In the mean time I drove the car and also rolled down my window a few times in between. It sounded wierd but I did not think it would be related in anyway to the door problem. Then I happened to read this forum and it gave me a shock! I thought I would have snapped the rod and would have to shell out 300 bucks to get the entire assembly as opposed to the $3.07 for which I got the snap connector. However everything turned out just fine as the rod was not even bent. Lucky me, I guess! So there is hope for all those folks in case you have unknowingly rolled down your window. At the same time it is always good to be safe than sorry - so never risk it!
Old 05-17-11, 02:57 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rise from your grave, 4 year old thread
Old 05-17-11, 04:15 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it was really designed that way so if it happens at a not so perfect time for us it is a perfect time for the stealerships to make their money!
Old 05-18-11, 08:42 AM
lex4bink
Driver School Candidate

@ishootstuf - yeah I know the thread is from 4 years. But that does not mean that people have stopped facing this issue, does it?
Old 05-19-11, 06:27 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lex4bink
@ishootstuf - yeah I know the thread is from 4 years. But that does not mean that people have stopped facing this issue, does it?
No, its just funny. Your second post on this forum was to a 4 year old thread. Its just funny to me. Still good info and may save someone by bringing it back to the top.
Old 05-19-11, 10:10 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You sure got lucky!
Old 05-19-11, 10:15 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the new plastic clip from northern fasteners about a week ago (I have to open with the pass side door to get in my car which is frustrating), only to find out I ordered the wrong damn side of the car! FML...
Old 06-14-11, 09:57 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone ever have this?
I replaced the clip and all was good - for about a week. Again, can't open from outside but inside is working fine.
Based on the pics in this thread, my rod hasn't been bent, but I just can't get the thing to work...
Another item to note, the rear bolt holding the door handle assy has been missing for about 2 months. It was pulling about 3/8" when you opened the door. Not sure if that's relevant but it's info.
So I'm wondering if my actuator is shot - you can see from the pics the clip I put in is still holding well.. the bottom of that rod doesn't look like it's all the way into the actuator, though..

Not wanting to pull that sucker out, but it looks like I may have to ..

Anyone who has taken that apart, is it just unscrewing the bolts at the very rear of the door and unbolting anything else ?
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Door Won't Open From Outside? DO NOT ROLL DOWN WINDOW!-dscn0415.jpg   Door Won't Open From Outside? DO NOT ROLL DOWN WINDOW!-dscn0417.jpg  
Old 06-15-11, 08:27 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

Thumbs up fixed!

got my actuator put in yesterday! been broke for 4 yrs, lol!
Old 06-15-11, 10:16 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a driver side actuator, $60 shipped, from Alabama. Complete with cables and all. Can send pictures of it.
Old 06-15-11, 02:44 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

i have fixed this on 3 of my SCs and 1 on a friends.
I just expect it to break eventually.
Old 06-15-11, 02:49 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought mine I had to replace that clip too and the rod was bent like that. Good thing it stayed together and didn't break. $260 is a lot.
Old 07-13-11, 01:53 PM
rmsc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by jpw
Anyone ever have this?
I replaced the clip and all was good - for about a week. Again, can't open from outside but inside is working fine.
Based on the pics in this thread, my rod hasn't been bent, but I just can't get the thing to work...
Another item to note, the rear bolt holding the door handle assy has been missing for about 2 months. It was pulling about 3/8" when you opened the door. Not sure if that's relevant but it's info.
So I'm wondering if my actuator is shot - you can see from the pics the clip I put in is still holding well.. the bottom of that rod doesn't look like it's all the way into the actuator, though..

Not wanting to pull that sucker out, but it looks like I may have to ..

Anyone who has taken that apart, is it just unscrewing the bolts at the very rear of the door and unbolting anything else ?
thanks!
having a same problem.

i don't think my rod is all the way into the actuator.

any solution or opinion on this?

Quick Reply: Door Won't Open From Outside? DO NOT ROLL DOWN WINDOW!