SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ordered some new toys.. have a question about something...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 02:11 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered some new toys.. have a question about something...

Ordered Lex's 2800 TC, UPS should be bringing it any minute now....

Also found a 4.27 LSD from Livesc, that he found from some guy on supraforums, so he shipped that out today..

Think I'm going to wait and have them both installed at the same time..

My question is, once I get the LSD, he said it may have fluid in it... what service has to be done to install the TC and the LSD? Do I need fluids or anything? I've been bringing my parts to my mechanic and he's been installing everything but I need to bring him the fluids and items to use.

And is there a part number I can have the service/parts at toyota look up to make sure it IS a 4.27 LSD from the supra? just before i screw things up royally..

BFI, spraying my calipers black, and the LS4 calip.'s, are all on my future down the road mod-list. Followed by the S-AFC, with more research, and some other misc items I found.

Now that the rain is gone, I need to find some pavement to test out the tokico blus and the diazen sways..
Old 01-12-05, 02:34 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sourcemine
My question is, once I get the LSD, he said it may have fluid in it... what service has to be done to install the TC and the LSD? Do I need fluids or anything? I've been bringing my parts to my mechanic and he's been installing everything but I need to bring him the fluids and items to use.

And is there a part number I can have the service/parts at toyota look up to make sure it IS a 4.27 LSD from the supra? just before i screw things up royally..
In order to have the TC installed they will have to remove and open your tranny. You should get a full tranny flush at the time of this mod (or even better, the mechanic/shop should include that service with the re-installation of the tranny). I know I have to get my oil pan gasket resealed and that procedure includes an oil/filter change at no extra cost. The SC400 takes Toyota type IV tranny fluid I believe, don't use anything else or you'll be sorry.

As for the LSD, call Carson Toyota and ask for Gordon (#310.522.2300). He can look up the exact part number for you for comparison purposes

...then we have to go for a spin
Old 01-12-05, 02:39 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Should I get a new tranny filter? why does the tranny have to be opened up? I should get tranny fluid though is that what your saying?
Old 01-12-05, 02:54 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sourcemine
Should I get a new tranny filter? why does the tranny have to be opened up? I should get tranny fluid though is that what your saying?
Yes, definitely get a new tranny filter. The TC is inside the tranny. Yes, also get a couple of jugs of Toyota Type IV transmission fluid. Do a search (because I'm not too familiar with the tranny of the SC400) and find out how much fluid the tranny needs and get it from Carson (I believe the SC400 takes 6-7 quarts and the fluid comes in gallon sized jugs for about $20 each), have your mechanic change all of the tranny fluid (complete tranny flush).

I'm really interested to see how much quicker off the line your car is after all of this stuff...

Last edited by mikeloc24; 01-12-05 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 03:48 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will have a hard job getting to the TC without removing the tranny!!!

When they remove the tranny they will lose some fluid, and then the torque convertor will be holding some also. Tell them not to reuse the old stuff - a good a time as any for some new stuff.

Remember to get your fluid from Toyota and not from Lexus - Lexus charges a couple of dollars more.

I think when I just removed my TC and installed it I ended up using close to 10 gallons when all was said and done,

Good Luck,'
Jonny
Old 01-12-05, 05:03 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3

I think when I just removed my TC and installed it I ended up using close to 10 gallons when all was said and done,

Good Luck,'
Jonny
I HAVE to assume that you meant quarts dude!
Old 01-12-05, 08:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
I HAVE to assume that you meant quarts dude!
Yes, you are correct!! I am a moron!! I was in a rush when I replied to the post. 10 gallons - hahaha - that would be a big *** transmission!!

Good catch,

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-12-05, 09:09 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Well I guess one question is, where can I get a good tranny cooler?