Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD DIFF question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 07:53 PM
GTE_SC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD DIFF question?

Hey, ive been looking around and was wondering what people were using for a lsd. example brands TRD, kaaz, anyothers out there that will hold the power. i want to build the car correct the first time, and im sick of braking parts with this car, so its time for upgrades.
Old 01-11-09, 09:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

first i would recommend doing a search on the topic on here and supraforums.

before we can help you with the question we need to know what you plan to do with the car(ie...drag, drift, street racer, track car). we need to know a bit on your setup and your power goals and expectations for the car. ie...2 way lsd's like the kaaz or the tomei will chatter and are pretty loud when they engage and disengage especially during turning. is some noise an issue for you or you want a fast car and as long as it does the job and puts a smile on your face you are happy.

if you track your car a 2way lsd would not be beneficial. you would need to look into a 1.5way or maybe a 1 way. factory torsen diff is an option.

what is your budget?
are you doing the work yourself or paying someone?

money is king when it comes to motorsports of any kind
Old 01-11-09, 09:24 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you track your car a 2way lsd would not be beneficial. you would need to look into a 1.5way or maybe a 1 way. factory torsen diff is an option.
jzz, could you elaborate on why the 2 way is not for track use? Also, how bad is the noise? is it similar to a rock hiiting the bottom of your car? or, is it grinding noise?
Old 01-12-09, 08:36 AM
GTE_SC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, ive used the search button and i get info like look at this sweet pic of my car or other bs. This is my daily/ summer driver and part time at the track. Here my setup GT42 with AEM EMS. This explains it, just one fast DD with a/c. I was lookin at the TRD LSD just cause i know they hold the power. Money everything for toyota cost a pretty penny, No money isnt a problem. Most work i do my self but not the rear end a local shop will do that. Im hopeing for like 850 HP range, I have enough turbo injectors pump and all the good stuff to do it. You mean I might here a sound over the 4 inch exhaust? Dang just means I need some better radio components. lol.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-12-09, 09:05 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Majority of users on these boards run OEM Supra TT Auto Torsen LSD. I believe it's mostly due to its relatively low price and bolt-in installation. It's a very stout unit.

You will find a select few running the TRD multi-plate LSD or Kaaz but the numbers are limited.