Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 06:33 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 lbs sounds good, but what is the price going to be?
Old 10-02-15, 08:25 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got my car weighed after after doing the LS1 swap nearly a year ago. The car is now being parted out as I picked up an FD Rx7 that I will be doing another LSx swap to road race. I had some kind of sensor problem, I never dyno'd the car previously. Only been making 290RWHP with the LS1, all power drops off at 4800RPM. That's 10:1 Power to weight Ratio. This car is only 3-4 seconds off cars with 5.5:1 Power to weight on the track. Some making well over that in the Unlimited classes.

My half assed suspension setup was actually corner weighted pretty well(1.8 sustained lateral g's, sometimes reaching 2.2). Though Camber and toe is probably a fair bit off and spring rates are probably still way too high(F1200lbs/R1050lbs). Also running stock swaybars. I can see from pictures the car had more body roll than ideal.

When weighed with the 2JZ-GE/W58/20.6 gallons of gas and me in the car the results were 2806lbs. 2681lbs with driver(no fuel) after the race. At the time they had to overnight scales in for the event(maybe incorrect?). Although a comparable SC400 with less reduction at the time weighed 3200lbs(completely gutted, gutted stock doors, hood, trunk, driver and fuel).

The 2806 weight with driver/fuel is how I calculated the dry weight of 2500lbs. Subtracting 180lbs of driver+gear and 120lbs for the LS1. If the new weight is correct the LS1/T56 did shave around 120-140lbs from the 2JZ-GE/W58's previous weight of 2840lbs(without driver, Cat Scale) to 2730lbs(weigh in from 2 days ago), as I added a few things, fire suppression system, seat back brace, wing and support cage and removed a couple of other small things.

New Weight. No driver. 5 gallons of gas
Front Weight = 1471lbs 53.9%
Rear Weight = 1258lbs 46.1%
Left Weight = 1370lbs 50.2%
Right Weight= 1359lbs 49.8%
Cross Weight=1367lbs 50.1%

2729lb

Name:  XNJoA5i.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  81.7 KB
SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet-4wr1q8q.jpg
SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet-apmcs69.jpg

And for the other questions I missed.

The "carbon fiber" Hood was around 30lbs not 20.
The innards and latches on the stock hood were 12lbs, reducing mine from 62lbs to 50lbs.

Last edited by fried_rice; 10-02-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 09:49 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Building an SC300 chumpcar (see build thread), started gutting. Weights so far

Here is what I have removed so far, weight in pounds:

Back seats, both parts 27.2
Passenger floor mat 3.2
Passenger seat (heated) 58.0
Driver seat (heated) 71.6
Box of seat belt misc (front and rear) 13.8
Center console 6.8
Climate control/radio with cassette 7.2
Carpet 22.8
Rear speakers (3) incl control board 10.6
Interior panels (not doors) 14.6
Sunroof assembly 33.4
Left door speakers 4.6
Left door panel 11.2
Right door panel 11.2
Right door speakers 4.6
Edit:
Rear side windows (each) 4.8
Edit again:
Evaporator core w/ expansion valve: 6.0
Dash: 12.6
Glove box: 3.6
A/C plastic ducts: 1.8
Dash trim: 3.8
Door wiring harnesses (both): 4.0
Inside door seal: 1.4
Airbag module with harnesses: 3.8
Jack and lugwrench: 5.8
Trunk interior linings (incl. spare cover): 10.0
Antennae and harness from front: 3.6
Phone amp and transmitter (in trunk, this car had built in phone): 4.4
Spare tire: 37.4
CD player in trunk w/ bracket: 12.2
Airbag charge (in steering wheel, after I blew it): 1.4
A/C compressor: 16.0
A/C condensor: 8.2
A/C lines, hoses, drier: 5.8
Power steering pump, bracket: 9.0
Power steering lines, hoses: 7.6
A/C, power steering, bolts, small brackets: 1.5
Back glass: 17.8
Driver glass: 10.0
Passenger glass: 10.0
Driver window motor and track: 3.8
Passenger window motor and track: 3.8

517.5 pounds so far

Last edited by RXRodger; 11-13-15 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added a/c, ps, and glass
Old 10-12-15, 10:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

^ A few of your numbers appear too high. I weighed the interior carpet twice, both as a whole and in pieces, and got 17.1 to 17.5 lbs. I got 10.0 lbs for the pass. door panel. The driver's door panel should weigh a bit more; I doubt they're the same to the tenth of a pound.
Old 10-13-15, 06:51 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm sure the scales we're all using are extremely well calibrated right? Well I know mine wasn't, mine was a Chinese bathroom scale, lol. A couple percent difference between our measurements seems pretty reasonable considering the equipment that I'm using at least.
Old 10-13-15, 08:17 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
I'm sure the scales we're all using are extremely well calibrated right? Well I know mine wasn't, mine was a Chinese bathroom scale, lol. A couple percent difference between our measurements seems pretty reasonable considering the equipment that I'm using at least.
Precisely why I posted corrections to numbers I consider erroneous (so others don't subsequently take them as gospel). I am using a well calibrated postal scale, confirmed against FedEx and USPS scales. And no, I don't consider ~45% "a couple percent difference."
Old 10-13-15, 08:58 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh nice. Well then yeah your weights are probably more accurate than mine
Old 10-14-15, 06:16 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

I too was using a crappy IKEA bathroom scale. Sometimes with me on it holding the items and subtracting the weights.

What's strange to me is the conflicting weights I got from the two Longacre race scales, which measured over 200lbs incorrectly. The new owner of the car will be putting a 2JZ-GTE/R154, and I'll let you guys know what he weighs in at, a couple months from now.
Old 10-14-15, 06:42 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by t2d2
^ A few of your numbers appear too high. I weighed the interior carpet twice, both as a whole and in pieces, and got 17.1 to 17.5 lbs. I got 10.0 lbs for the pass. door panel. The driver's door panel should weigh a bit more; I doubt they're the same to the tenth of a pound.
I weighed my carpet a couple of times but I included the metal brackets that the back seat plugs into, that's what I got. The car leaks so the carpet could have been a little wet which added to it. I don't see any difference between the door panels, but some error could be in the fact it was hot Sunday when I took all this out and I used the same weight for myself to tare out the weight of the pieces. I found part of the way through that I had lost between 1 to 2 pounds from the time I started, so on later pieces I had to adjust my weight. So yes, there could be a few tenths wrong on some of the pieces.

The ones that surprised me were the front seats. Several have posted on here they are 95 pounds. Not so.
Old 10-14-15, 07:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I weighed my carpet a couple of times but I included the metal brackets that the back seat plugs into, that's what I got. The car leaks so the carpet could have been a little wet which added to it.
You mean the support brackets that the rear seat clips into? That would add a bit, as would a wet carpet. I washed (and dried) mine before weighing it, and soaked up a hefty amount of water.

I don't see any difference between the door panels, but some error could be in the fact it was hot Sunday when I took all this out and I used the same weight for myself to tare out the weight of the pieces.
Yeah, you've got several very significant sources of error introduced there... Non-constant baseline, presumably a scale with low precision, and a subtractive means of weighing that renders small numbers fairly meaningless. I'm not trying to give you a hard time over it, but methods of measuring should accompany the posted weights when there are uncertainties like that. Context is king.

The ones that surprised me were the front seats. Several have posted on here they are 95 pounds. Not so.
Your numbers appear accurate there, which isn't surprising given that large objects are going to be a lot closer with the subtractive method. How were you able to see the scale, though? Is it a digital scale with a 'hold' feature? I got a couple pounds heavier on my passenger seat; I need to weigh it again one of these days (it's out of the car) and make sure the board I used to spread the load on the scale was zeroed out. The buttons and display are hidden once a large board is placed over it like that...
Old 10-15-15, 07:07 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Yeah, you've got several very significant sources of error introduced there... Non-constant baseline, presumably a scale with low precision, and a subtractive means of weighing that renders small numbers fairly meaningless. I'm not trying to give you a hard time over it, but methods of measuring should accompany the posted weights when there are uncertainties like that. Context is king.
Oh come on, I was off by several ounces on some of the items, do you really think it is that important that the door panel is 11.2 pounds or 11.0 pounds? I weighed with some fairly accurate scales, the question you should ask is how good is good enough? We are talking about parts in a car, not some super accurate cancer drug here.
Old 10-16-15, 12:12 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Oh come on, I was off by several ounces on some of the items, do you really think it is that important that the door panel is 11.2 pounds or 11.0 pounds? I weighed with some fairly accurate scales, the question you should ask is how good is good enough?
I wasn't trying to make it personal. I just corrected some weights that were off by a significant amount, according to my measurements. Your subsequent explanation of the circumstances of your measuring confirmed my suspicions. Several ounces? No, it was 10% at the low end, and 45% at the high end, with the discrepancy being 1-7 pounds. At that high a margin of error, we might as well just guess. Why share your numbers at all if: a) you have such disdain for accuracy, and b) you're going to take such offense to being corrected?

No scale is accurate when you're dealing with small items that are less than 10% of the total weighed by subtractive methods. Sorry to have sidetracked the thread.
Old 10-16-15, 04:16 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Sears fruit scale that reads 0-20 lbs. just to weigh car parts.
Old 10-17-15, 05:47 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

I wasn't trying to make it personal. I just corrected some weights that were off by a significant amount, according to my measurements. Your subsequent explanation of the circumstances of your measuring confirmed my suspicions. Several ounces? No, it was 10% at the low end, and 45% at the high end, with the discrepancy being 1-7 pounds. At that high a margin of error, we might as well just guess. Why share your numbers at all if: a) you have such disdain for accuracy, and b) you're going to take such offense to being corrected?

No scale is accurate when you're dealing with small items that are less than 10% of the total weighed by subtractive methods. Sorry to have sidetracked the thread.
Where do you come up with 1-7 pounds and 45%? Quit exaggerating. And you are just incorrect with the 10% jibberish. Just because my numbers were different than yours it doesn't mean they are wrong, they are different. Maybe yours are wrong? I corrected most of the wrong tare weights, I may have missed a couple which would make any error I have less than a pound. If you are sorry for having sidetracked the thread, quit doing it.

Edit: And no, I don't take offense, I just wanted to correct your inaccurate statements.

Last edited by RXRodger; 10-18-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 07:07 PM
SCBenny
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys im working on gutting my interior, these are the weight im guessing everything weights lol
so far i have removed

spare and jack ~80 lbs
disk changer ~15 lbs
stereo~ 2 lbs
rear seats ~ 30 lbs
Antenna ~ 4 lbs
driver and passenger seat ~100 lbs each (these guys are heavy, im gonna offically weight them soon)
All Sound deadening ~40 lbs
all carpet~ 15 lbs
rear brackets for heated seats ~3 lbs
all bolts from removing process ~5 lbs
rear seat belt assemblys ~ 5 lbs

soon my seering wheel with the airbag will come out and be replaced with my nrg quick release and momo rep wheel. when my building starts under the hood i will remove all mufflers, cats so the reduction should be extensive

i would really like to see a diagram of all the unessential harnesses and ecu's that could be removed, that would be extremely helpful lmk guys thanks!

Quick Reply: SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet