SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'92 SC300 Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 06:53 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating if I should attempt to replace the brake pads myself or have it done at the shop. I bought some oem pads off the net and wanted to paint the calipers while I was at it. I'm wondering if replacing brake pads on these cars is a straight-forward job or if I should get it done professionally. Does anyone have instructions posted on a website or anything like that?
TIA!
Old 04-20-01, 07:24 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting the caliper

How do you plan to paint the caliper? I think you have to take the caliper off, and if you don't know what you're doing I don't recommend it. You need to bleed the brakes.

As for changing the pads, if the rotors don't need resurfacing; It is a simple job of loosing two 12 mm bolts and replece old pads with new one. You need to buy a C-Clamp or a brake piston squeezer (from Pepboy) to press the piston back to have enough room for the new pads. Remember to take some brake fluid out of the resevoir before using the c-clamp or the piston squeeser
Should do it yourself, it an easy job and save $$ for other thing that you can't handle.

Good Luck
Old 04-20-01, 08:29 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

thanx VQ.
I checked the rotors and they seem to be fine without needing to be resurfaced at this point. Will the two 12mm bolts free the caliper from the rotor mount? If so, I can just support the brake lines and paint the caliper that way.
I was told to take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir to relieve the pressure when I push the pistons back. Do I really need to take fluid out? If so, do I just siphon from the fluid reservoir and then refill when I'm done?
thanx again!
Old 04-20-01, 09:20 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Bad bad!!!

Dont even THINK of syphoning the brake fluid... !!! The last thing you want in your brake line is air pockets... It's better to work on your brakes and then "bleed the brakes" (needs 2 people) when you re-attach the brake hoses. As for painting your calipers, why dont you leave the calipers on the wheel and paper/protect everything around it as much as you can then paint the thing while it is still on the disc? would save a whole lot of trouble. The only thing that the paint would interfere with is maybe getting a bit on the disc surface... but a couple hard laps around the block should burn that off...

Reason you dont want air pockets in brake line :

1) ABS. air pockets fool the ABS system making it kick in sorta permanently. Therefore car cant move till EVERY air pocket in the ABS system is bled out.

2) Air in brake lines foul the brake fluid. Notice the warning on the brake fluid bottles that it doesnt mix well with air... it actually forms particles and lowers the brake grade of the fluid.

3) Air in brake lines acts like a blod clot. Imagine using your brakes without fluid for heat dissipation. This means warped discs, calipers and other stuff. Could get expensive. although it does lead to Supra TT brakes upgrade that you always wanted...

I dont think I need to continue anymore... Personally I'd leave brake systems to the pro's... For go fast bits I would do it myself, but for stopping bits I dont trust myself.

Cheers,

Toan.
Old 04-20-01, 12:29 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's OK if you don't want to take the fluid out; just make sure any overflow get wash immediately. It is a good idea to bleed the brake system after you change the pads to get the whole sys. fresh fluid.

Toan worries too much, I used to worries about the brake job also. After observerd many mechanics that change brakes, I can and do a better job to keep everything clean.

I just replace my Vette. rear pads and bleed the sys. to replace it with fresh fluid; the reservoir is clear now as oppose to dirty looking, no problem so far. My 93 SC400 has brake problem since I bought the car; It too has been bleeded to death. I will have to change the master cylinder and bleed the whole thing again; this time I also need to bleed the traction control to, which is not that difficult either.

If you don't try to do it yourself, when are you going to learn to fix/maintenance the car yourself. Unless you have money. If I have money, I wouldn't be driving a 93 SC400

Recommend buying a shop manual, some dealer charge $160 and some charge $90, so shop around.

Good Luck
Just be careful with the aluminum, don't tight it too much